Thread: 5770 Vs 6850

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    Those benchmarks are certainly telling.

Well this beggars another question then, Aranor would you consider a GTX460 768MB?

We use a Palit 460 768 at home, which can be found for less than £127. Also there is one cheaper for around £123. They are excellent cards.
    Honestly i wouldn't mind, Seeing as i have already bein using Nvidia cards, From what i have read yes the GTX40 Card is a fantastic card no question about it, However i wanted to try out Radeon for a change of view (I'm no fanboy to Nvidia, i just havn't used much cards and rarely bought new Pc's with changable Graphic cards),

Saying this As i'm buying from Cyberpower the prices for a GTX 460 is actually a tiny bit more (Thats the ~1G card)

GTX 460 1G : £133.
    GTX 460 2G : £146.
    ATI 6850 1G : £122.

Why i'm asking about the comparison between the 5770 and 6850 is basically due to a snag i hit with the motherboard's i had available,
    Two reason why i choose ATI was a change of view, Cheaper than GTX in this situation and the 6XXX (and later cards to be released in Dec) would be nice as a ingle card (And later Crossfire, which i can't due to the point made above).

Regarding the 5770 i could downgrade my CPU and possibably PSU.

5770 + Thermaltake 875 Watts Toughpower XT 875W Modular 80 Plus Power Supply.

VS

6850 + 850 Watts CMPSU-850HX Modular Power Supply.

Difference between both is just £50 (6850 being more).
    If you would like i can explain why i am choosing such a powerfull PSU, Short answer it's a future proof PSU.

---------- Post added 2010-11-17 at 12:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    the 768mb version is far below the 6850, its near the 5770 in terms of performance

if the OP didnt ask about crossfire, why is it being mentioned? sure, crossfire scales great now, but some people dont want crossfire and hence dont consider it when picking cards
    Regarding Crossfire i was looking to have it available in my build as an option for later on, seeing as i will be upgrading more and more through the years. However i hit a snag where the motherboard i had choosen would only give me a Crossfire setup from 16X Single card to a 8X by 4X Dual mode, which i was told i would be wasting my money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those benchmarks are certainly telling.

Well this beggars another question then, Aranor would you consider a GTX460 768MB?

We use a Palit 460 768 at home, which can be found for less than £127. Also there is one cheaper for around £123. They are excellent cards.
    768mb version has a reduced 192-bit interface, apparently it's a good performer for it's price but not very many people go for it.

if the OP didnt ask about crossfire, why is it being mentioned? sure, crossfire scales great now, but some people dont want crossfire and hence dont consider it when picking cards
    Yea sry I went a little off topic there, but coming back to 6850, it's a pretty solid deal atm to go for the single card ^_^

Regarding Crossfire i was looking to have it available in my build as an option for later on, seeing as i will be upgrading more and more through the years. However i hit a snag where the motherboard i had choosen would only give me a Crossfire setup from 16X Single card to a 8X by 4X Dual mode, which i was told i would be wasting my money.
    Good move on the future-proofing with a powerful PSU.
    Bottom line is, if I had to buy a single graphics card that was GREAT for it's price, I would be tied between HD6850 or GTX460(1gb). If you want to stick to ATI I would definitely pick 6850 over a 5770, the value is justified.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2010-11-17 at 02:04 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    @llDemonll
    "the 768mb version is far below the 6850, its near the 5770 in terms of performance". You're missing the point. Is the GTX460 worth investing in terms of it's price/performance ratio? Well yes it is, infact it's benchmarks at the 1920x1200 resolution are quite impressive and Xuvial's value league table rates it higher than the 6850 card, hence the reason why it was thrown on the table as an option.

Lastly @Aranor

The Corsair PSU and 6850 sound like the winners to me. Have you considered building the PC yourself? The obvious savings made there should keep you within a desired budget.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2010-11-17 at 11:04 AM.

Deleted
    @llDemonll
    "the 768mb version is far below the 6850, its near the 5770 in terms of performance". You're missing the point. Is the GTX460 worth investing in terms of it's price/performance ratio? Well yes it is, infact it's benchmarks at the 1920x1200 resolution are quite impressive and Xuvial's value league table rates it higher than the 6850 card, hence the reason why it was thrown on the table as an option.

Lastly @Aranor

The Corsair PSU and 6850 sound like the winners to me. Have you considered building the PC yourself? The obvious savings made there should keep you within a desired budget.
    I have thought about it as it seems simple enough again from people mentioning it, This will be my first custom built PC (I used laptops alot).
    Only problem is i am a bit hesitant seeing as it will be my first time looking at alot of stuff (Google / youtube helped from the reviews i seen).
    I'll most likely buy seperate parts next time and start from their rather than scratch, This new PC i may look around inside and read up more just to do my homework on it! (An extra couple of euro's for it built already means nothing to me)

Quote Originally Posted by Aranor View Post
    I have thought about it as it seems simple enough again from people mentioning it, This will be my first custom built PC (I used laptops alot).
    Only problem is i am a bit hesitant seeing as it will be my first time looking at alot of stuff (Google / youtube helped from the reviews i seen).
    I'll most likely buy seperate parts next time and start from their rather than scratch, This new PC i may look around inside and read up more just to do my homework on it! (An extra couple of euro's for it built already means nothing to me)
    I wish I had money to toss around. Considering my comp is very close to dead from overheated VRAM.

If you have the extra money look at DIY PC combos. Certain sites test all the hardware together and all you have to do is assemble. Even assembling everything is straightforward. Almost all hardware comes with an installation manual and a run down on how to update drivers.

On the matter of a video card, I would go with a 6870 they bench around the same as a 5870 but only cost around $260 (193 Euro). Unless you want to go at the GTX 580. Supposedly the most powerful single GPU on the market today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    On the matter of a video card, I would go with a 6870 they bench around the same as a 5870

The 5870 equivalent in the 6xxx series isn't out yet. The 6870 gets beaten by the 5870 in every single benchmark by a noticeable margin. Secondly, a 6850 can easily be overclocked to match a 6870's performance - but a 6870 has almost no overclocking headroom left. There's some funny stuff going on with naming an pricing with AMD cards but they'll get it sorted out soon.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2010-11-17 at 06:30 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...rfrel_1920.gif
    The 6870 gets beaten by the 5870 in every single benchmark by a noticeable margin.
    lol? I wouldnt call 7% anywhere near a noticeable margin. 7% is something a computer can pick up the differences in a benchmark, not something a human can pick up while playing.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    lol? I wouldnt call 7% anywhere near a noticeable margin. 7% is something a computer can pick up the differences in a benchmark, not something a human can pick up while playing.
    Well, I certainly noticed that 7% and all I was doing was scanning the page. I've noticed 5% differences in framerates, 1% differences in temperatures, so I'm relatively sure a 7% difference in performance would be noticeable.

As said before, may have been in another thread, the 68xx's are lower spec 58xx's, but with better DX11 performance. At least, thats the idea. Sadly, they're performing between the 57's and the 58's.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Sadly, they're performing between the 57's and the 58's.
    To get down to specifics, the 6850 improves on 5830 and the 6870 is an improved 5850. DX11 aside, the two main objectives of the 68xx series was a) Great value and b) Drastically improved crossfire scaling, matching up to SLI scaling and sometimes even beating it.
    The 5870 equivalent will be the 69xx which isn't out yet. I'm *fairly* certain that ATI's plan was to wait till NVidia released GTX580, then unleash the rival 6970 to compete with it (it'll probably be dual gpu)...so we should see some intense competition soon. The 68xx prices should also drop when that happens, can't wait
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2010-11-17 at 10:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    6970 won't be dual GPU from what they've released so far.

the 6870 is (for all intensive purposes) the new and improved 5770
    the 6970 will be the new 5870
    the 6990 will be the new dual-GPU card

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/11/a...radeon-lovers/

lays out more information about it
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    To get down to specifics, the 6850 improves on 5830 and the 6870 is an improved 5850. DX11 aside, the two main objectives of the 68xx series was a) Great value and b) Drastically improved crossfire scaling, matching up to SLI scaling and sometimes even beating it.
    The 5870 equivalent will be the 69xx which isn't out yet. I'm *fairly* certain that ATI's plan was to wait till NVidia released GTX580, then unleash the rival 6970 to compete with it (it'll probably be dual gpu)...so we should see some intense competition soon. The 68xx prices should also drop when that happens, can't wait
    Value is also amazing.

I just got a 6850 Gigabyte version 2day for 175 CAD when it's usually 199 CAD.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    You can save a bit of money by just getting a 750w PSU. I'm currently running a 1090T @ 4ghz with a 6870 crossfire both OC'd to 1030/1200 with a HX750 corsair. A 850w+ would be overkill for a rig with a 68xx crossfire setup. If you are planning to wait for the 69xx series then I would suggest looking at the TDP and then look into the PSU.

Deleted
    What the hell, 850W powersupplies for a single 6850? Are you people out of your minds?

- Intel Atom: 60-120W (depending on DVD and Blu-ray Drives.)
    - Basic desktop processors w/o GPU: 150-200W
    - HD5750, HD5770 GTS450, and everything below: 350-450W PSU
    - GTX460, HD5850, HD5870, HD6850, HD6870: 450-550W PSU.
    - GTX470, GTX480, GTX580, GTX460 SLI, HD5850 Crossfire, HD5850 Crossfire, HD5870 Crossfire, 6850 Crossfire, HD6870 Crossfire: 650-750W PSU.
    - GTX470 SLI, GTX480 SLI, GTX580 SLI: 850-1000W PSU.

And 68XX cards are replacements to the older 58XX cards, not 57XX. 69XX is the performance upgrade for the enthusiasts (=faster than 5870, rivaling with GTX580).

---------- Post added 2010-11-19 at 12:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ai View Post
    You can save a bit of money by just getting a 750w PSU. I'm currently running a 1090T @ 4ghz with a 6870 crossfire both OC'd to 1030/1200 with a HX750 corsair. A 850w+ would be overkill for a rig with a 68xx crossfire setup. If you are planning to wait for the 69xx series then I would suggest looking at the TDP and then look into the PSU.
    TDP doesn't tell anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maick View Post
    What the hell, 850W powersupplies for a single 6850? Are you people out of your minds?
    Ok let me clarify some things, the reasons i'm getting this PSU is :

* The HX is only available in 850 Watts, downgrading it to 750 becomes TX and is only £10 cheaper.
    * It is made by corsair decent brand correct.. so i'm not gonna go anything lower seeing as there isn't that big named brand other than thermaltake which as above is more expensive but less Wattage.
    * Think of it as future proof seeing as this is a custom built PC i will most likely be upgrading along the years.
    * This is from cyberpower, check their PSU's.
    * I was intending to use this PSU for Crossfire (Motherboard became the problem with PCIe slots), I may get a better motherboard later on when needed.

These are the points and taking anything less won't make a huge difference.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maick View Post
    And 68XX cards are replacements to the older 58XX cards, not 57XX. 69XX is the performance upgrade for the enthusiasts (=faster than 5870, rivaling with GTX580).
    Whether it was officially stated or not, this is not true. the 58xx cards were the "flagship" cards for amd, the 57xx cards were the value (aside from 5830 which was mostly value also)

the 68xx cards are the new value cards, the 69xx cards will be the new flagship cards with the 6990 taking the dual-gpu being the "top-dog" card for amd

Deleted
    Please, check the AMD roadmaps. Do you know about the 6000 series naming hassle?

10+ Year Old Account
    Posting this for reference, make what you want out of it = /

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aranor View Post
    Ok let me clarify some things, the reasons i'm getting this PSU is :

* It is made by corsair decent brand correct.. so i'm not gonna go anything lower seeing as there isn't that big named brand other than thermaltake which as above is more expensive but less Wattage.
    huge difference.
    m8 you realy need to read up on PSU`s
    there are ALOT of big brand names that makes PSU`s that are as good and even better then the corsair PSU`s for the same price.
    cooler master, enermax, seasonic, xfx, chieftec, ect.

i don`t now why every body thinks that corsair makes the best PSU`s. thay make very good PSU`s but not the bedst.
    and some times they are even abit overpriced compared to other bands in the same class.
    best thing to do before buying a PSU is to look at rewievs first
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    best thing to do before buying a PSU is to look at rewievs first
    Depends what kind of "review". Official benchmarking reviews tell you nothing of the reliability of the PSU, they only buy 1-2 of them for performance testing.

You want to go to a site where people can give feedback about their parts (e.g. Newegg)....there you can get a clearer picture of how many people had issues with their part.
    With something like PSU's, it can be purely up to chance whether yours performs splendidly, blows up after 1 hour or doesn't even work in the first place. But if you see a trend of negative responses, you know to stay away from that PSU or even the whole brand - and from what I've seen, the Corsair TX & HX series get very few issues.
    The thing with PSU's and reliability is, once a brand makes it clear that they can be depended on, people tend to gravitate towards them even if they're a tad overpriced - it's a psychological thing where you feel safer buying it since many others have used it without issues.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2010-11-19 at 08:01 AM.

I'm quite sure that HD 6850 can run on a good 350W PSU. But I'm definitely not recommending it.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2010-11-19 at 09:54 AM.