Deleted

Easiest way to install Cataclysm? (When it comes out)

I am coming back to Wow with Cataclysm after being away for a year and a half, and I have a small question.
    Which would be the easiest way to install Cataclysm (Retail Disc Version), keep in mind, I'm on a new computer with no previous installation of WoW.

Should I with the actual Discs:
    Install World of Warcraft - Burning Crusade - Wraith of the Lich King - Cataclysm, one after the other.

Or should I:
    Use the Download Game Client from the Battle.net Manage Account page.

Any suggestions on which way to go?

Install the client from the website, that will download Vanilla to Wotlk. When you're done patching go to your WTF folder in your main wow files. Open Config and Launcher in notepad and find the lines that say Set account type "LK" in both of those files. Change LK to CT and save it. THis will download cata before it comes out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unless you have a really fast disk drive (or really crappy internet) I would suggest downloading the game client. You should have to patch a lot less (4.0.1. is going to suck if you have to do it). Then you can use this (http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/10/29/wa...ing-heres-how/) to download a lot of the cataclysm data and you should very little if anything to install release night c:

That's also if you can do it now. If you're waiting until release night (avoid if possible) they're both going to be crazy slow. I ended up using a mirror iirc for WotLK because I couldn't get my discs to work. Boyfriend used the discs but it was a long process, and it's only going to be worse since you're doing all the xpacs. (Actually, thinking back I think I copied his files after he did his)

So yeah, do it now if you can at all, and I'd do the download. It gives you a way more recent version of the client, if not the most recent.
    Last edited by Tribunal; 2010-11-16 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    Cataclysm will install the whole game for you.
    It will do this, but I believe it downloads the files for everything below Cataclysm, so you're better off just downloading the online client and installing the expansions before that way before December 7th.

I could be wrong, I don't know, I don't remember how it worked with WOTLK. I just can't imagine all of the WoW files from Vanilla up fitting on one DVD.

You should have Blizzard send you the expansion data on 15,265 floppy disks. That's what I'm doing.

Install up to wrath now unless you just don't have it.

Downloading is fine, just don't expect it to be extremely quick, I think the latest Cata build was ~14GB. I'm sure it will be even slower when Cata hits with everyone else doing the download.

Go to your battle net and download latest client this creates the new stream installer and you will be logged in in less than 10 min

Deleted
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Seems all agree that downloading is the way to go.

I would actually have thought that installing from the discs were the way to go.
    Doesn't the expansion discs contain all the previous patches.

Here's what I thought:
    Burning Crusade Discs contain all the patches from Original. Wraith of the Lich King Discs contain all the patches from Burning Crusade. Cataclysm Discs contain all the patches from Wraith of the Lich. So I wouldn't need to download much at all.

I guess I was wrong in this?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayEighty View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Seems all agree that downloading is the way to go.

I would actually have thought that installing from the discs were the way to go.
    Doesn't the expansion discs contain all the previous patches.

Here's what I thought:
    Burning Crusade Discs contain all the patches from Original. Wraith of the Lich King Discs contain all the patches from Burning Crusade. Cataclysm Discs contain all the patches from Wraith of the Lich. So I wouldn't need to download much at all.

I guess I was wrong in this?
    No I believe you'd be correct, BUT doing it now (if you can at all) is going to be better than trying to do it release night. And if you do it now from disks you're going to have to patch all of the Wrath Patches, including the very large major content patches.

Doing it now from the (free) download will get you caught up much faster, and allow you to install quickly Cata launch night, whether you buy the Cata disc or the digital download (that really doesn't matter since you can download the data either way).

I'm not advocating buying the Cataclysm digital upgrade (though you certainly can if you want), just using the "download the client" link to get your install current as of right now.