Poll: Do you think that Diablo 3 will pull casual gamer subscriptions away from WoW?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thealexbobsy View Post
    You just blew my mind. How and What? Jump the gun a bit? Let's just back up..
    Your whole premise is that "casual gamers" aren't capable of making any kind of decisions, let alone actually playing more than one game at once, and will be fooled into thinking WoW and Diablo 3 are the same kind of game, despite having next to no similarities. The people who you call "casual gamers" are just people who play this particular game less than you do, or in a less "hardcore" way.

Real casual gamers aren't playing WoW, and won't be playing Diablo 3... because real casual gamers play free puzzle games or fucking Facebook games... maybe they have a Wii, but that's it. You're using "casual gamers" as a thinly veiled insult, and for whatever reason, a group of people who are incapable of making decisions on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by flargen View Post
    Your whole premise is that "casual gamers" aren't capable of making any kind of decisions, let alone actually playing more than one game at once, and will be fooled into thinking WoW and Diablo 3 are the same kind of game, despite having next to no similarities. The people who you call "casual gamers" are just people who play this particular game less than you do, or in a less "hardcore" way.

Real casual gamers aren't playing WoW, and won't be playing Diablo 3... because real casual gamers play free puzzle games or fucking Facebook games... maybe they have a Wii, but that's it. You're using "casual gamers" as a thinly veiled insult, and for whatever reason, a group of people who are incapable of making decisions on their own.
    Why must you try and derail this thread? By no means did I try and make this a "What is a casual gamer? post.

Let me point out what I, and the vast majority of other gamers that I'm associated with, think defines a casual gamer.

To put simply, a casual gamer is someone who plays a videogame on a regular basis, but does not put in the same amount of time as the small "hardcore" minority. They play when they have enough time alotted for personal enjoyment, and choose to pick video gaming over any other past-time they might enjoy. Honestly, it's a fine line between a casual and a hardcore, because you can be really dedicated to a game and not play it a lot, or the other way around. It's always very opinionated, and usually self-defining by the gamer.

Nowhere in this post did I ever try to insult casual gamers. My gaming has fluctuated between hardcore, to casual, to non existant during certain times of my life so that is what I use as reference to other casual gamers. It always boiled down to one thing for me, and that was time. I just assumed it was the same for most people.

The whole Oranges to Clementines analogy seemed appropriate because on the surface, both games share a lot of similar qualities. I used to play Diablo 2, and after switching to WoW, I noticed that a lot of things that people love about this game have stemmed from Diablo 2 and games before that.(Such as gemming, similar stats, talent trees, different weapon/armor qualities, fantasy setting, smiliar abilities/classes, npcs, etc.) The point I was trying to make was that if you played WoW on a casual schedule, then you probably weren't seeing 100% of the content, because lets face it, even people with no jobs or commitments still have a hard time seeing all of the content. Diablo is a game where you can play by yourself, with a friend, offline, and doesn't require you to log in to do dailies and other tedious things that WoW may have. In other words, WoW is not as appealing of a game to someone who doesn't have a lot of time on their hands.
    Last edited by thealexbobsy; 2010-11-16 at 04:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not casual and it's more than likely I will leave WoW for D3.

Why? Because D2 was probably the best game I ever played.

I play WoW and enjoy it, but honestly I feel a bit addicted. Sometimes it isn't fun, like when the raids have wound down and everything is easy, but I play it any way.
    I never once felt like that with D2 and played it just as much.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    People will leave for a period of time to play D3, just as they do when and new shiny title releases. Then, once the newness wears off, people will come back.

I don't think there will be any significant effect on the WoW subscriber base.

Deleted
    I don't think so, why would it? Different games.

I get the feeling a lot of people are going to buy and play Diablo 3, but not very many of them are actually going to cancel their subscription to WoW because of it. I know I'll certainly be playing it right alongside WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by thealexbobsy View Post
    It seems like Blizzard has been taking their sweet time with Diablo 3. Most people have known it was in production since late 2007, and then Blizzard officially announced it several months after that. Could a reason behind this be that maybe they feel that a casual point and click RPG with no required subscription, an active online community, and a lot of WoW references littered throughout, will somewhat pull subscriptions away from World of Warcraft? Specifically the casual gamers who make up the vast majority of the WoW populous.
    It couldn't POSSIBLY be because it takes them 3+ years to make a game, could it?

Nahhhhh... That's crazy!

10+ Year Old Account
    I know ill be playing the fuck out of both games

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Dictonary, get one!
    Irony at its best ^^^

Well... i for sure will play D3 all depends on how much time i will have when the time comes

Deleted
    i can only speak for my self, i will be playing wow with D3 as something different at the weekends

My friends and I fully intend to stop playing WoW for a while to play Diablo 3 instead. However, that doesn't mean we won't keep our subscriptions and continue to raid on a regular basis, because that would take a lot for Diablo 3 to do that. It's too lacking in end game features I think to do that.

Nah, some of course, but not THAT many. I'll probably buy it and play it on LANs with my friends since it's kinda like a local WoW with only you and friends... :3

And darker and more action oriented with a kinda story I guess. :P
    “The north still reeks of undeath. Our homelands lay in ruin. Pandaria oozes our hatred and doubt. What hope is there for this world when the Burning Legion again lands upon our shores?” - Eric Thibeau

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Seriously? You think 3 years is Blizzard "taking their sweet time'? Blizzard games are always in development for years. Its how they roll. Does anyone remember all the delays they had for Diablo 2?
    Two words....

Starcraft Ghost

I'm a gamer. I play games, not just one game

I will cancel my subscription when D3 comes out.Because i dont want to pay for a game which i dont play very often.And i will definatly play D3 very much so there will be no time to play WoW.Im the type of person who rather focuses on one game instead of several.But i think D3 is still far away from being released so i will play WoW till D3 ^^
    "In our world those who dont care about the rules are called trash but those who dont care about their friends are even worse than trash."

I'll be playing D3 when my guild isn't doing anything cool/important in Cata. Blizzard owns my soul.

15+ Year Old Account
    Where is the "I don't care" option on the poll? I mean most of us, I believe, won't really care if people jump from one game to another. It's up to them it won't affect my gameplay at all. I will however probably buy D3 to try it out and stuff since I never really got into the other Diablo games that much and the new one seems fun enough to try.

15+ Year Old Account
    They'll buy it, but many will also play WoW.

The number of quiters can't be that great. D3 is not an MMO.

ima get it and play it WoW and SC:2 at the same time including call of duty:black opts, halo:reach, and more.
    why? I'm a fucking gamer and just one isn't enough.

i will play both