Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I don't like when dps pulls groups. Single mobs, fine, but when they pull a group it makes it considerably harder for the tank to rein in the aggro, especially if the group is part melee and part ranged. My tanking skills are average at best, so I do get frustrated when the dps makes my job more difficult. Sometimes I'll try to recover the aggro, and sometimes I'll just let them handle it. Maybe they'll learn something. I don't bitch at my party though, or blame the healer for my death, or deliver ultimatums or anything, because I know I'm not that great either. I wish sometimes that the dps would recognize that and take it easy a bit, but you can't expect most of them to change their play style for you.

I am pretty good at healing, though, and as a healer, I enjoy being able to let dpsers die. It's a power I rarely exercise, and only if the dps in question is being particularly obnoxious. This is only in heroics, of course, where dps rarely matters. Can't let the tank die, though, so you gotta just grin and bear it when they're being jerks. Or leave the group or kick 'em, if it comes to that.

And as a DPS, I'm just along for the ride. Obey kill order, use /assist macro, bear in mind that I don't matter at all, try to have some fun. In these days of infinite mana, a tank and healer can easily 2-man just about anything that doesn't have a timer, and I'm only there to accelerate things. Looking forward to Cataclysm dungeons, where dpsers/CCers will actually matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousetrap View Post
    Yeah, it's a pain. It's the rarity of tanks that causes this. Because they're rare they get to thinking "I can act however I want because they can't find another tank, and they can't go on without me. " So, it eventually they get to the point where they're outright demanding things. I mean, I even had a tank deliberately try to screw up my hunter's DPS by pulling the boss toward me the entire fight because I asked him to explain why he marked ToC5's bosses in the wrong death order(he marked the healer as dying last). It always seems to be the really well geared tanks at 80, too: I guess they figure that they've got their Kingslayer and -you- don't, making you inherently way less important.

This is why I'm trying to teach myself to tank, to reduce the rarity of them and eventually get to punish this petulant attitude. Course, in my first few times I saw the other side of the coin. I queue for my 63 blood DK and get slave pens. I figure, I got D&D, I got Heart Strike, I can probably go pretty quickly. Well, not fast enough. the mage and the warlock not only pulled before I was ready, but they acted like I wasn't even there. D&D 5 secs off CD? Nope, you're pulling now. It was at its worst when I went on a slight detour to finish a quest(the missing druids) and they KEPT PULLING even though I was 40, 50yds away from them.

I feel bad for that healer.
    Whats wrong with marking the healer last? i do that all the time as a warrior tank, i interrupt all of the healers heals so he does half of what the others do. seems like the best way to do it imo, but ruining someones dps or experience is just being a dick.

I have two tanks and two healers. I've seen a fair share of stupid tanks and a fair share of stupid DPS and such. Like Holy paladins with RF on wondering how their heals pulled the mobs off before I thunderclapped.

Tanking on a warrior in heroics is frustrating now. My AoE aggro takes rampup, but most dps don't care and are attacking moments after my initial charge. The Vengeance system means that it's incredibly hard to "front load" aggro and the rage normalisation means that I have to nerf my gear to get any kind of effective rage.

The fact is, when I tank a random heroic I'm moving as soon as I see that the healer doesn't have to change specs. I pull what I feel I can hold effectively. When it dies, I move on (unless the healer calls for mana). Personally, I don't see any faster way of running an instance safely. In a full pug, most likely none of the other players are even from my server. I have no idea if they've bough their account, don't know what they're doing, or are the best healer/dps/tank since WoW came out. I'm certainly not going to give them my vent to coordinate complicated stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mousetrap View Post
    Yeah, it's a pain. It's the rarity of tanks that causes this. Because they're rare they get to thinking "I can act however I want because they can't find another tank, and they can't go on without me. " So, it eventually they get to the point where they're outright demanding things. I mean, I even had a tank deliberately try to screw up my hunter's DPS by pulling the boss toward me the entire fight because I asked him to explain why he marked ToC5's bosses in the wrong death order(he marked the healer as dying last). It always seems to be the really well geared tanks at 80, too: I guess they figure that they've got their Kingslayer and -you- don't, making you inherently way less important.

This is why I'm trying to teach myself to tank, to reduce the rarity of them and eventually get to punish this petulant attitude. Course, in my first few times I saw the other side of the coin. I queue for my 63 blood DK and get slave pens. I figure, I got D&D, I got Heart Strike, I can probably go pretty quickly. Well, not fast enough. the mage and the warlock not only pulled before I was ready, but they acted like I wasn't even there. D&D 5 secs off CD? Nope, you're pulling now. It was at its worst when I went on a slight detour to finish a quest(the missing druids) and they KEPT PULLING even though I was 40, 50yds away from them.

I feel bad for that healer.
    When I tank, i combat that type of behavour by pulling INSANE ammounts of mobs, i'm accually very good threat generation on multiple mobs, and then i turn the tables on them such as.

'WTF BROSKIS, KILL FASTER, MAN YOU GUYS SUCK, HURRY UP.'

If the healer requests i slow down or he's low on mana, i'll stop, But normally i will just be a douche in their faces. I figure if they want fasts pulls, i'll give it to them, cause i can chainpull like a champ

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was recently working on a prot warrior...and I really don't see how they can get into that mentality...I knew I needed the healer to keep me alive, and I knew I needed the DPS to help the run not take forever.
    There were times a DPS would do something stupid (fear a mob into a group of mobs, attack while the healer was drinking) but I always did everything I could to save them...
    And I never acted like a god or elitist or anything...that leads to problems, and I like really smooth runs (not to mention I know I'm easily replaceable)
    There was once or twice that I was accused of acting like the "typical arrogant tank" as they put it when all I did was ask the DPS to wait until I got one thunderclap off before they started DPSing

10+ Year Old Account
    Shireshireshireton, shireville, the shire
    Yes, every class/role/race combo has at least one person with a redicioulus (<<spelling) ego. Tanks are justified to a point, but after that I would just leave the instance if the tank is pulling less threat than the healer or more dps than the dps.
    Quote Originally Posted by perix View Post
    there are people that think war is like cod.
    That covers just about every twelve year old in America.

Tanks are egotistical dbags because you keep making these threads.

also you keep making these threads because tanks are egotistical dbags.

please stop the cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiggity
    I think it's awesome that you tried to quantify 'epic fail' into an equation ;D

Quote Originally Posted by spicie View Post
    Each has their own role in a 5 man group

Tank = Gain and keep aggro on a set of mobs (however many hethinks he can handle)
    Healer = Heal all incoming damage
    Dps = Kill the mobs the tank has controlled without aggroing them

Whats so hard about that
    I don't agree that a healer is supposed to heal all incoming damage - that's not their priority. When I'm healing I generally won't heal DPS that pull - I wait until I see the tank actually going to try to grab aggro. Much rather let the DPS die and rez them later than have my big heals generate enough aggro for me to die. My ordered priorities healing are:
    • Stay Alive - avoiding combat if necessary!
    • Heal the tank
    • Heal the rest of the party

As for tanking? You've implied that staying alive is important (you can't keep aggro if you're dead). When I tank, I don't stress about keeping all the mobs completely under control - if one or two get loose, that's fine. DPS usually knows to switch to them to burn them down, or I'll get around to taunting 'em back when it fits in my rotation. I put more emphasis on keeping the mobs I am in control of in a predictable place - making AoE more efficient in group pulls, and giving physical DPS an easier time on single targets. It'd be like:
    • Stay Alive
    • Keep mobs from damaging the healer
    • Keep the mob positioning and pulling predictable
    • Keep mobs from damaging the DPS

The current DPS role is as you said, simply dealing damage without pulling. I am so very much looking forward to actually being required to use CC again.

ok ive done it all my general rule is try to keep mobs of healer, clothies (mainly aoe), pick up everything if a melee dps pulls try to get it off. now as to dps i mainly play a pally so current are aoe is not the best atm so i end up single targeting on aoe. if i get an "almighty tank" who's an ass quite simply i vote to kick him, how mighty is he then

Wipe one party member, and you are a murderer. Wipe two party members , and you are a conqueror. wipe them all, and you are a god!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummbles View Post
    The reason there are so few tanks isn't because tanking is hard, it's because everyone else is a fucking idiot. True story.

All these horrible tanks were created by the abortion that was Wrath dungeons. I don't ever think I saw a tank pull to many mobs back during vanilla/bc. Blizzard has just given bad players the illusion that they are indestructible and if they (the tank) dies its everyone else's fault. I distinctly remember running as a tank and wiping and saying "My bad shouldn't have pulled all that." To which the dps and healer were amazed that I owned up to my mistake. Wrath has only pushed bad gaming habits, no cc, aoe everything, pull, pull, pull. Looking forward to watching folks die in dungeons because they think they can just run around without thinking anymore. It's been particularly amusing in the Cata event bosses, where people are almost dying to easy mechanics.

By the way another reason Tanks sometimes are douches are because of the dps we run into. There used to be a sacred time after pulling to gain threat on mobs, now as soon as you even look at a mob its already been pyroblasted. They pull, they die, its your fault. It's only my fault when I mess up and allow everyone to die and that does not happen often.
    Last edited by Adeptus; 2010-11-17 at 02:05 AM.

How I think I have a headache OP. Learn to type english or go find a native language wow forum please. But yeah in TBC tanks only chain pulled w/o CC when they had tier 5 equiv and higher. Back then, you usually only got your 2 piece and went with off set pieces for more stats. Even then, there were some BC instances you couldn't chain pull. Knockdown stuns, 10 second fears, group fears, banish, sap, Anyone? Yeah the mobs cced your ass back then.
    Last edited by Tanro; 2010-11-17 at 02:01 AM.

I am Shaman - Play Free Online Games
    FML... Shamans suck.

Iv seen alot of bad tanks who think there pro, Mostly when i was gearing my alt shaman a few months back. This T10 paladin who had like max 7/12 10man normal thought he was all pro and bad mouthing everyones DPS, Everyone else was in blues and greens....

Also.. i hate it when DPS blame tanks for loseing aggro (ofc ther not ment to) but like..... Feral tanking before 4.0 was pretty easy :P spam swipe for aoe and GG, But now its on a 6sec CD people pull extra mobs spam AOE and are like "Man you suck L2tank" well if those DPSing idiots knew its harder to AOE tank now things might go alot smoother! :P my MS is feral cat i only tank 5mans once a blue moon maybe to get my GF some gear on alts or rep lol

I have nothing against dps who pull aggro in the middle of a pull and then having to taunt, however dps who pull mobs for me are making my job more difficult, so while i will not stop to explain why I am not taunting off a person for pulling I will allow them to tank the mob, if the healer feels like healing and the dps who pulled happens to kill the mob then more power to them; however if they die it is their own fault for purposefully making my job harder. I don't think I am being arrogant by asking that I, as the tank, be allowed to pull mobs; I think since it makes keeping aggro extraordinarily simpler dps should not go out of their way to stroke their epeens and have me cover up their selfishness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    In short, go back to heroics, farm some t10, get hit capped, learn to gem, get real professions, read the sticky, then delete your toon, mail me your gold, and pick up Aion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every role has retards. It's just that tanks have instant queues because there are relatively more dps and to a lesser extend healers.

Farming heroics with friends or just form a group quickly on your server solves most of this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarios View Post
    I don't know why tanks think they deserve the most respect from anyone, they're players like everyone else. I'll admit that i'll pull in heroics if the tank spends half the time looting every mob. .
    So tanks arent allowed to loot and get more gold for armor repairs which they get alot of?

I take tanking seriously. I tell people when I have a problem with something and if they pull instead of me (which is nigh impossible unless they run through a pack without AOEing them with my rapid pull-rate), they get a 1-time warning to let me do my job and make the pulls, and they can sleep and press their AOE button after.

If they decide to not heed that, I'll tell them that I'll go take a break, eat, read, watch a show or find something else to do while I tell them to decide to either kick me or kick the player that won't listen to the friendly warnings (yes, they're friendly. I don't aim to cause a scene, but I don't take crap from ungrateful people).

See, with instant queues, I don't need them. I like to tank, I don't mind starting from scratch, and I make sure I point out that when I explain why I'm going AFK while they come to a decision, while I'm distracted and also paying attention to their actions.

It's amazing how many groups actually show their appreciation to a good tank by kicking the DPSer instead of the tank, that's always the outcome with one or two special cases turning out otherwise. See, as long as you do your job, give warnings and tank fast and tank well, people will rely on you and no one cares if the tank just stop and drop an ultimatum. Why? Because today, tanks are in demand and the easy fact is that while they might wait 5-10 minutes for a tank, they can get an instant replacement for a DPS.

I do get a little annoyed if the DPS pull instead of me, because it makes my job harder. If someone dies from a mob hitting them, then it makes me look bad. I usually only adopt a "you pull it, you tank it" approach if the dps ignores me asking them not to pull.

This backfired on my druid the other day in heroic UK. A Spriest with good gear kept pulling mobs and groups ahead of me, I'd leave him to it but he would easily kill them before they hit him. Halfway through I just switched to cat form and the SPriest tanked the rest of the instance including the final 2 bosses... I swear if cata heroics are ever that easy, I'm quitting the game.

Well as a person who has a 80 icc running paladin tank and who is currently leveling a warrior tank the reason I am raging is because it happens constantly. I don't want to have to spend my time trying to educate the bad dps on the why and hows of aggro.
    If your a dps and you pull off the tank and he doesn't taunt it off of you then theres a good chance that you are one of the latest in a long line of dps who won't let him do his job and he is simply fed up with it.

"I'll admit that i'll pull in heroics if the tank spends half the time looting every mob."; I can't make the game loot any faster and I'm not gonna skip on greens and gold because you are in too much of a damn hurry. This kind of pulling just makes my life more difficult, and is usually compounded by the result of other dps unloading after you thus making it even harder to get aggro.

"started dps as soon as he was running to the pack and was still about 5-10 yards away"; Unless you can guarantee that your not going to pull aggro or end up diverting mobs from where I want them tanked you should not be doing that. If I'm not able to get all the mobs in range of my aoe because I have to chase something down that you've got your boar taunting then you are a bad dps.

Also when I play on my healer I don't appreciate people other than the tank tanking things unless asked, I don't care how good your boar is at tanking, he isn't a real tank. A lot of people who think they are awesome dps tanks are really just being carried by overworked healers.
    As a warrior I generate both rage and vengeance by being hit, so when your off tanking with your pet you make it harder for me to use my abilities to get the threat.

So at the end of the day the lesson is let the tank tank, the healer heal, and the dps dps. Otherwise you are only feeding your own ego and making other peoples lives difficult.

I think I generally have more issues (as dps and heals) with people trying to pick fights with the tanks rather than the other way around. The tank is somewhat in charge because it's their job to control the pulls. It's their job to NOT pull too many mobs. It's their job to keep threat all the time.

There are times when the tank is to blame for threat loss, but 9 times out of 10, it's the mage that's more worried about recount in heroic nexus (that was designed for players in Wrath greens) than about playing their role in the group correctly. Yes, the run does move more smoothly when the DPS is doing top DPS. Yes, the run also runs more smoothly when DPS doesn't pull aggro and die.

A lot of DPS will be in for a rude awakening when Cata drops.