Thread: TuK or LUI?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

TuK or LUI?

I like them both, but I'd like to hear from some users what they like about each. Trying to decide which to go with. I know ultimately I'll have to decide for myself, but peer opinions help to make an informed decision. Please try to give more than just "x ui is better" such as why you think it's better. Mostly curious about ease of use and support.

Thanks in advance.

Well LUI has some more awesomeness with the animated frames. How he is trying to incorporate the whole UI into one big addon is kind of cool. But of course right now it's just a beta and has a bunch of issues. They're all easily fixed with other addons or a little creativity though. Tuki is more refined and has a bunch of options you can plug in to get it how you want but it's really just a graphical package that's pre-done for you and doesn't really offer anything "Special" in my opinion other than doing all the work for you which is kind of nice. I say give 'em both a spin and go with the one that is more visually pleasing and gives you the functionality you need. But I think in the end you'd be happy with either.

LUI is a great one, been using it myself for about the last 5-6 months. Since the change to the v3.3 release, so much more integration to put more add-ons work with it. Plus, with the pending changes for LUI v4, it looks like it will become pretty much entirely beyond just a basic UI.

The forum support for it is good. I've had a couple issues, and gotten responses within hours.

The UI you make your self from addons that do things in the way you want them to be done it the best UI to have.

It seems unwise to depend on one person for you whole UI, what if they stop playing...you'll have to start again with a whole new interface and no clue hat you're doing.

I tried to use TUK but the font is too small for me without glasses in combat.

I used TukUI while LUI was still being updated for 4.0X. I always find myself missing tons of LUI features, though I like the simplistic look of TukUI more... LUI is more functional, so I always go back to LUI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okard View Post
    they took out chill of the throne, if you havent looked. Youre going to do 30% less than youre used to.

I'm actually having trouble having LUI into my interface. I unzip the folder and placed it into the wow interface folder, and that didn't work so then I placed it into the wow interface-addon folder and that didn't work either. I would really love to have LUI but as of right now I'm not really getting what I expected. Perhaps some help?? <3

Pre-packaged UIs are failsauce imo. If you want a UI done right you have to make it yourself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneQuickSS View Post
    How he is trying to incorporate the whole UI into one big addon is kind of cool.
    Note that Tukui is "3" addons, 2 are layouts for raid interface (one made for healers and another for dps/tanks).

Tukui is much better from my experience, it uses less cpu (if that's something that you could use) and there are several nice edits, among one of which is mine, and plugins.

personally I'd recommend you to try both of them in some bg or something to see which one you like playing on the most, but if I had to recommend you one, Tukui wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravlax View Post
    The UI you make your self from addons that do things in the way you want them to be done it the best UI to have.

It seems unwise to depend on one person for you whole UI, what if they stop playing...you'll have to start again with a whole new interface and no clue hat you're doing.
    While this is certainly a concern, I've been playing for over 5 years now and I've worked with so many addons I can't even count. DAB was the most awesome addon compilation (if it could really be called a compilation) that I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. At this point, however, I'm willing to let someone else do the skeleton work and I'll tweak the rest of it to my taste. Besides, after dong a couple hours of searching through various compilations, these are the two that I narrowed it down to.

After reading through some various posts and threads and watching a couple vids on YT, I've decided I'll go with LUI for now. I like the functionality I'm seeing and from the sound of the things, the author is trying to make it as "extra" friendly as he can. Tuk is for people that have more desire to learn LUA than I am. lol

TUKui is more of a interface UI, it makes every frame awesome, you can customize it like crazy, and there are skins of recount and the like. It also takes up NO memory. I've been using it since I got into a decent guild last year, and I'm still using it.

Yeah, see - I'm using LUI right now, and while I'm not one for extra flair, etc. - it really does have most of the functionality I'm looking for (I supplement with a few must-haves on my list)...

- and the graphical elements are done so well! I would never bother mustering the patience to make frames flow like this. THAT is why a package UI can be ideal. Plus, the LUI guy has been around for years, and pours his heart and soul into this thing.

And, if for some reason he does give it up, I have a backup UI I compiled myself. Not as pretty but completely practical.

But glad you made a decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhalseran View Post
    Pre-packaged UIs are failsauce imo. If you want a UI done right you have to make it yourself.
    They're a good place to get started off of and then just customize to what you like.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    -Nietzsche
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

I use LUI right now. It's beautiful and comprehensive, everything is very well placed. And it's even better that they've made it more versatile with different types of addons that can be placed in the special frames that it has.
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

15+ Year Old Account
    I like how minimalist and nice looking LUI is. It doesn't appear to conflict with anything else I run* (he warns about trying to update Recount yourself), and has some great support forums. I'm really happy with LUI and like the layout, the colour schemes and how everything fits together.

* I run a lot of addons, including at least 10 economy addons, none of which are affected by the overarching LUI pack.

---------- Post added 2010-11-17 at 01:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Narcisse View Post
    I'm actually having trouble having LUI into my interface. I unzip the folder and placed it into the wow interface folder, and that didn't work so then I placed it into the wow interface-addon folder and that didn't work either. I would really love to have LUI but as of right now I'm not really getting what I expected. Perhaps some help?? <3
    If you look at how it comes packaged, you can see that there are four folders. One of these folders is called Addons, iirc. If you drop down into that and take all those folders out and place them in your existing Addons folder, and then take the other three folders that sit out at the same level as the LUI Addons folder and place them directly into your Interface folder, then you should be sweet. Just remember that FortXorcist is in a separate folder from the start so you have to move all of those sub-folders out of there and into your Addons folder as well if you want to use it.

If you get the Install button when you log in, you've done it right. Good luck! It's a very nice UI package.
    For the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by OneQuickSS View Post
    Well LUI has some more awesomeness with the animated frames.
    If you're a sucker for animation then you'd love my new Tukui Edit :P

You could always combine the aspects that you like from each instead of picking one and not changing anything...
    Protip: You don't need to add an apostrophe to make things plural.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrazine View Post
    If you're a sucker for animation then you'd love my new Tukui Edit :P
    Got a video link? I've configured my LUI setup enough for one night, but I'm always interested in seeing other people's artistic talents with UIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsw View Post
    You could always combine the aspects that you like from each instead of picking one and not changing anything...
    I'm not quite that LUA savvy. lol But it's a good idea for those that are.

KG Panels + Bartender + NeedtoKnow + SexyMap + MoveAnything

All you'll ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by skyesfury View Post
    Got a video link?
    I would but since i'm new it's not letting me post links, youtube search "Hydra Edit v2", it should be the first video, or you can go to tukui.org/hydra