Question Demo Melee Range Caster??!!! And Improved Soul Fire Spec questions....

I am now lvling a Demo Warlock and I read through some posts that are up here and saw some post that say that Demo Warlocks should become melee caster this coming expansion, so I was wondering whether this is true, and the reasons if it is.
    BTW, since ISF is now no longer restricted to above 80%, what is the optimal Demo spec for PVE in Cata during lvl 85
    I can't seem to find a spec, and I get decide where to get the extra points to spec into ISF (Or maybe ISF is not the way to go??? )

No,it's not going to happen, and we're just happy with it.

Only Reason it's to be considered the "Melee" Caster is because when you transform you gain a lot of armor, and the Immolation Aura Spell. So... No it's not a melee caster.

My Warlock Spec - http://wowtal.com/#k=fNF65m0Vs.a8t.warlock.

Would be cool to spec into one where you are permanent demo all the time and run up and cast with auto attacks or dot that does damage when in range of the target so it'd be like a melee caster of sorts but wouldn't really make sense without alot of work in the opposite direction that it is going atm.

I think there's a case to be made that Demo's dps is optimal within 8 yards of the target as this allows use of Immolation Aura and Shadowflame (guesstimated 10% damage boost, maybe?). Our primary AoE is also 'self' centered, which gives further encouragement to getting close to the action. Certainly we have strategic decisions to make about range that other casters don't, and learning when to get close and when to stay away can be pretty important.

Fertile ground here for folks' desire to label something and their compulsion to argue over semantics - "Melee Caster"? Who knows...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Araxie View Post
    pvp or pve?

As for spec, I'm planning on going with (for raiding):

http://wowtal.com/#k=-tehFke.a7t.warlock.-mdnPQ

which includes ISF. A lot will depend on haste rating at 85 though, as I'd prefer to get a generous immolate duration and improved immolate than struggle with ISF if it left me with trouble refreshing the dot with Hand of Gul'dan.

Kind of an aside, but I've got a first draft of a guide to Demo which you might be interested in - and all feedback (comments, corrections, additions, etc) would be really cool:

http://soulfired.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/85/
    Last edited by Runc; 2010-11-17 at 12:48 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I made the comment "Melee Caster" because you will do more damage as a Demonology Warlock by standing in Melee range, not by actually meleeing the boss. Shadowflame, Immolation Aura, travel time spells all impact your dps positively if you stand close to the target.

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Going to roll with:

http://wowtal.com/#k=-A08JFpY1.a7t.warlock.Rz7KbE

Until shizzle gets nerfed.

I just use Soulburn atm if my pet dies.

Perhaps melee range caster may have been a better description.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    I made the comment "Melee Caster" because you will do more damage as a Demonology Warlock by standing in Melee range, not by actually meleeing the boss. Shadowflame, Immolation Aura, travel time spells all impact your dps positively if you stand close to the target.
    Ele Shaman are really the only casters who should be standing in melee range all the time imo.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Disagree entirely, but that's ok.

R.I.P. YARG

Technically all casters should stand in melee range. Maybe besides affliction locks? The only catch is bosses tend to not like that. I.e gormoks knock down.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gormokk can be gamed to be within shadowflame range but outside knockdown range. Just like Icehowl.

R.I.P. YARG

It would be better for affliction locks to be in melee range. Haunt flight time is a bitch.
    Also, I quite like being pretty far off as destruction to time my empowered imp soulfires with improved soul fires because of the cooldown (flight time can sometimes pay off). It can be a bit risky at times if you've got a lot of other thing's to pay attention to but generally worth the DPS increase imo.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Demo excels when its in close but does very good dps even when u cant be up close. I mean its hard to tell on live becuz we r missing talents but at 85 demo numbers r pretty sick. Ive been hearing that they r changing emberstorm to move it down the talent tree more in destro. If that happens we will take improved immolate and wont hard cast soulfire for haste buff, we will just use it on our soulburns and in decimation phase which is still pretty good.

what do you mean, decimation only affects 20% of the fight no? (assuming single target)
    the cooldown of soulburn and the duration of imp soul fire would mean that demo still has to hard cast soul fire otherwise lose quite a bit of uptime on it