Thread: DirectX 11

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

DirectX 11

Omg... I can't believe this is the same game I played 5 years ago! ^_^ the water, the fire... the grass! i had to run from zone to zone, checking out each detail :-D great job, reviving this game's tired old graphics, Blizz

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chareoss View Post
    more info?
    This.

Deleted
    Id just like to point out that since WoW doesn't use any DX11 features the visuals should not really be improved, perhaps a performance update here and there...

10+ Year Old Account
    DX11 ads reflections to the water IIRC ... it also improves frame rates at least on my computer. Everything runs silky smooth.

Deleted
    Regardless of if DX11 does much for us.

OP is correct to point out the large improvements we have received since launch :-)

One of the things that keeps me paying to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexcyn View Post
    DX11 ads reflections to the water IIRC ... it also improves frame rates at least on my computer. Everything runs silky smooth.
    I didn't want to believe it at first, but having just now enabled it I can confirm the improvement on framerates, I used to hang around 40 FPS in dalaran, and now I'm sitting at the cap of 60 fps constantly.

Amazing, if I had known that earlier I would've turned it on the second it came out.

Excuse my stupid questions, but:
    (1) Is this for live or the PTR? If for live, is it just for today's/yesterdays patch?
    (2) How does one turn on DX11 support? Is there a new option?

dunno i keep getting frames drop when i use the directx 11 , anyone ?

my gpu is ati 4870 1 gb

Quote Originally Posted by ContentsMayVary View Post
    Excuse my stupid questions, but:
    (1) Is this for live or the PTR? If for live, is it just for today's/yesterdays patch?
    (2) How does one turn on DX11 support? Is there a new option?
    1) this was added in patch 4.0
    2) expand a shortcut to the woW.exe with "-d3d11". Alternatively, open the "Config.wtf" in "\ World of Warcraft \ Beta \ WTF" and add the line SET gxApi "d3d11" (with quotes).

Dx11 adds reflections + ripples on water, and sun flares. I didn't need to edit any wtf's or start with any shortcuts. It was on by default, at least in my case. And for people who don't know: For DX11 effects you need windows 7 and a direct x 11 capable card. 5XXX series ATi and above, and 4XX series Nvidia and above. Not having a dx11 capable card or OS means you are running the game in dx9 mode, so it doesn't affect you (nor the framerates).

Changing from dx9 to dx11 doesn't improve framerates. In some cases it might reduce them. They didn't change the whole rendering engine to dx11 (so one might say there were optimizations), they just added some effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    DX11 looks the same as with DX9 on ultra...

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by rav1410 View Post
    dunno i keep getting frames drop when i use the directx 11 , anyone ?

my gpu is ati 4870 1 gb
    Radeon HD 4870 isn't a DirecX 11 card.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Im seeing reflections, ripples on water, and sun flares without turning anything on also but I assumed these were not DX11 only features...

This is confusing me now and I work with DirectX on a daily basis at work XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthmael View Post
    Im seeing reflections, ripples on water, and sun flares without turning anything on also but I assumed these were not DX11 only features...

This is confusing me now and I work with DirectX on a daily basis at work XD
    They aren't but people with DX11 cards want you to believe they are so you go out and buy one for some reason,

I've tryed a 285gtx ocx and a 480 Gtx both on ultra with dx 11 enabled for the 480...i couldn't see any difference other than the performance...

Deleted
    I see.

In that case I would just like to make it clear that I use a DX11 card and Windows 7 but have not turned DX11 mode on in the config file, all my settings are on ultra and I am seeing all the graphical features and have a frame rate that never drops below that of my monitor.

On a different note the next effects are nice apart from in caves. Any1 else noticed this? I dont think the light is caves is reflected correctly, it always seems very gray. A good place to observe this is Dalaran sewers.

15+ Year Old Account
    The appropriately titled PC Games Hardware have detailed how to enable DirectX 11 in WoW: Cataclysm, so check out the instructions below.

Expand a shortcut to the woW.exe with "-d3d11". Alternatively, open the "Config.wtf" in "\ World of Warcraft \ Beta \ WTF" and add the line SET gxApi "d3d11" (with quotes)
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    1) this was added in patch 4.0
    2) expand a shortcut to the woW.exe with "-d3d11". Alternatively, open the "Config.wtf" in "\ World of Warcraft \ Beta \ WTF" and add the line SET gxApi "d3d11" (with quotes).
    Ah! Thanks very much.

But presumably without the "\Beta" part...
    Last edited by ContentsMayVary; 2010-11-17 at 02:42 PM.

Enabling the DX11 support removed the odd drops in frame rate I was experiencing when flying over great water areas such as open sea.

Works wonders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grassidas View Post
    Dx11 adds reflections + ripples on water, and sun flares. I didn't need to edit any wtf's or start with any shortcuts. It was on by default, at least in my case. And for people who don't know: For DX11 effects you need windows 7 and a direct x 11 capable card. 5XXX series ATi and above, and 4XX series Nvidia and above. Not having a dx11 capable card or OS means you are running the game in dx9 mode, so it doesn't affect you (nor the framerates).

Changing from dx9 to dx11 doesn't improve framerates. In some cases it might reduce them. They didn't change the whole rendering engine to dx11 (so one might say there were optimizations), they just added some effects.
    Incorrect. Water ripples & sun flares are DX9 effects using shaders. DX11 has to be manually enabled and is experimental for now.

DX11 will increase frames for SOME people, and also adds water reflections (player reflections are coming soon apparently).