Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Stock Piling Mats for Cata?

I was trying to figure out how I could make the most money off the Cata release, and I was thinking with everyone starting new toons that I could buy all a bunch of profession mats now and sell them for more after the launch when they are in more demand. I am far from an experienced Auction Houser so I was hoping some people could give me some advise.
    so my questions are
    1) do you think this is the best/good use of my money?
    2) which mats in your opinion will provide the most return?

thanks for all your help

Mid vanilla ore and herbs (the low level stuff is easier to get the mid stuff is a bit harder).

sounds meh. might work see what other say first :s .

Oh and good use of your money just read that no its not the prices at the moment are already overinflated and will actually go down when cata hits as you will have lots of low level characters mining and herbing stuff as they level and trying to make gold by selling it in the AH.

Farm your own ore and herbs and you can make money but don't buy stuff now.

I've been holding up all of my BoE blues/epics that I get as random drops but haven't been buying up anything. I'd rather not have funds tied up when I need to buy overpriced mats for profession leveling. =/

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikeychris View Post
    Oh and good use of your money just read that no its not the prices at the moment are already overinflated and will actually go down when cata hits as you will have lots of low level characters mining and herbing stuff as they level and trying to make gold by selling it in the AH.

I agree with not buying the stuff, but not with the first part though. I always find myself with close to 0 gathering profession at the end of lvling since fastest way to level (at least for me) is LFG-tool spam, thus no herbs/ores.

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

Pretty much this.

A few months after the expansion hits and the majority of the player base is at 85, then the most expensive stuff on the AH will be the 55-60 zones Minerals, Herbs and Skinning mats - but these are also the most tedious to farm at the moment because of ground mounts.

Personally i wouldn't bother. Enchanting mats are worth keeping because you will almost always get an enchanter in your daily or HC grind and you can just stockpile these mats.

I've done it this way for about the last 4 months and i've got a healthy backlog of everything that you'd need to get enchanting from about 200 to 375

Right now probably isn't a good to time to mass buy good unless you are finding some good deals on your realm you should really farm your own.

They key will be when to sell and this will require some careful attention.
    For leveling mats you want to be placing your material for sale just as the bulk of the player base are moving to the next levels. So if you have any low level herbs/ore/enchants, they should be on the AH when cata hits, b/c although they are easy to get people will be going to their capital cities are starting areas to pick up their professions for the first time. Then they hit the AH to see how much of a head start they can get themselves.
    Cloth for rep turn ins should also be up pretty fast b/c people will be looking to buy right away.
    Then over the next few days monitor prices/player progression and update auctions for materials as people are going into those areas.

Deleted
    Tbh i think, since you can fly in azeroth now, low level mats wont be expencive as they were in wotlk...

A lot of people will be rerolling a goblin/worgen in the expansion.

Those people will do one of two things (more than likely):
    - Level at a steady pace with gathering professions to fund their own crafting profession. Thus no need to really use AH.
    - Want to level as quickly as possible with 2 crafting professions. They'll need to buy everything from AH.

Obviously you want the second option to occur. In my past experience, the best selling mats were Thorium, Rugged Leather, Mithril, Briarthorn and Goldthorn.

That was just my server. Your best bet is to do some quick research and monitor AH for a couple weeks. Take those tendencies and put a higher price on things because prices will further inflate as Xpac ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    A lot of people will be rerolling a goblin/worgen in the expansion.

Those people will do one of two things (more than likely):
    - Level at a steady pace with gathering professions to fund their own crafting profession. Thus no need to really use AH.
    - Want to level as quickly as possible with 2 crafting professions. They'll need to buy everything from AH.
    I disagree I think the first only could apply to people who it's their first toon (and then we don't care about them since they have no money).
    If its an alt there is a strong chance they will have heirlooms if nothing else the shear amount of people leveling will make getting enough mats difficult. I believe many people will resort to AH to supplement their own gathering. Additionally things like first aid, cooking they will most likely not collect anywhere near enough to level those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid vanilla ore and herbs (the low level stuff is easier to get the mid stuff is a bit harder).
    This. Any server you are on... the level 50 - 60 mats are expensive and hard to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrez View Post
    This. Any server you are on... the level 50 - 60 mats are expensive and hard to get.
    Except for the fact that, once flying is enabled in old world azeroth, those mats will become significantly less so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohahihehu View Post
    Except for the fact that, once flying is enabled in old world azeroth, those mats will become significantly less so.
    Possible, but not very likely. At least not right after the release.

If you have an 80 with double gathering profs, would you really bother with farming Thorium/Mithril for say 60g-90g/stack, instead of the new ores/herbs which will sell for the triple of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Naphta
    The tank is the driver, healer is the fuel. And the DPS are the kids sitting in the back crying about if they're there yet. And this is coming from a DPS.

15+ Year Old Account
    my submarine. it's long, hard and full of seamen.
    Farm a TON of mats. Anything you can think off (Herbs and ores) and put them out on release day for fucked up prices, you'll make a fortune.

Deleted
    mats or older mats will sell well generally, even with the flying due the fact that its a tedious thing and some pll dont have enough time to farm, or are to lazy to farm so there will always be a market.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have 200 netherweave bags just waiting to be sold :P

Quote Originally Posted by Loop View Post
    Tbh i think, since you can fly in azeroth now, low level mats wont be expencive as they were in wotlk...
    This, flying in the old world will greatly decrease the value of old world materials compared to how it was in previous xpacs.

Stack up on cheap glyphs, they are gonna sell in the beginging of cata cause of all the new Alts and ppl who are coming back.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be stockpiling all my Frostweave. Unless Blizzard nerfs the amount of cloth needed to level Tailoring, I predict it'll go way up in price since no one will be in Northrend anymore.
    MSN: thesaddestpanda@hotmail.com
    XBL GT: ReverendGodless (with an i)

Alliance/Spinebreaker