Thread: curse.com down?

curse.com down?

Ive been trying to update my addons since yesterday..but curse seems to be down.
    My curse addon client wont update either..
    anybody got any news on this or it the problem on my side:-p
    thanks in advance

Yeah there was a virus on it today. Thinkpoint.exe i believe. Likely they have shut down to remove it.

DNS issues, there is another thread explaing. Should have given a link, but need more posts to do so.

Confidence is not arrogance

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
    Yeah there was a virus on it today. Thinkpoint.exe i believe. Likely they have shut down to remove it.
    This is not true. They changed DNS servers yesterday.

No they didn't have a virus it is just a DNS updating issue. If you're getting a virus it's not through curse.

A anti-virus telling you something and it being true are two completely different things. The only way you will get a virus through the client is the ads and even then it is highly unlikely. And as i'm sure everyone is fully aware addons (especially when downloaded through the curse client) CANNOT give you a virus.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Must be a coincidence then. (URL removed do to my posting restrictions)
    How Legit is this?

It’s hard to tell at this time
    Should of been your first hint that the story is fake.

thanks for the update:-p

Use wowinterface

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...56#post9460656

---------- Post added 2010-11-17 at 04:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sirlimpy View Post
    No they didn't have a virus it is just a DNS updating issue. If you're getting a virus it's not through curse.
    It is possible to get a virus through Curse, but not Curse directly.

If you click any of the scareware adverts regarding "BOOST YOUR PC PERFORMANCE NOW" or "DOWNLOAD ANTIVIRUS 209090" though, there is a very high chance of you getting a virus - And these are on Curse.com.

I have already spoken to Members of Curse Staff about this and there is not much they can do about it as the advertisements come through a 3rd party.

All we can do is report them as they occur.

Deleted
    There's already another thread regarding the subject, also refer to curse's twitter.

Just wanted to confirm for people that there was nothing like a virus on Curse.com that caused the intermediate service. We had an issue with our DNS services. It's been corrected but may still affect people for up to 36 hours (or more in some horrible cases) while the fixes propagate.