Deleted

[4.0.3a] Rage normalization and rage generation

I hope my first thread/post here won't be too much of shameless self advertising, but here goes:

With Cataclysm and the preparing patches (4.0.1. onwards) Blizzard changed the rage generation. They normalized it. They tried it back in Burning Crusade, but it didn’t work out all that well back then. Now, however things should be different and they should have more room to tweak it afterwards if needed, without rolling back to the old system. At least this is what Blizzard claims.

I made an article in my blog trying to find out numbers about rage generation, both independant of your spec as well as taking your spec into consideration, the article is quite long so I won't post it here as well as it has a picture or two so this forum is meh for that.

Since the changes, I’ve read alot of stuff from the forums about the rage generation. Most of which was wrong. A common misconception seemed to be that the rage gen is now as simple as “2 handers give 30 rage per swing, 1 handers give 15 rage”. Then there were variations where crits gave you double rage per swing, where haste increased rage gained by swing and what not. After reading all these different things, I thought I’ll try to figure out how it really is. So this started as wanting to find out myself and I then decided that I’ll share what I find in my blog, cos there’s obviously misinformed people lurking around!

So, what rage normalization means in the first place: You no longer gain rage based on the damage your weapons just did, but it’s based off of your weapon speed multiplied with a base value of rage, that is easily modified by Blizzard if needed. The different specs have different mechanics and multipliers to add you extra rage.

For the whole article, please visit my blog linked in my signature. I'd give you a straight link, but these forums are hatin' on me! calltoarms.blog.com/2010/11/26/rage-normalization-what-it-is-and-what-it-isnt/
    Last edited by mmoca22428f18d; 2010-11-26 at 04:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about rage generation from being damaged?

What Blizzard says:

Rage from damage taken will no longer be based on a standard creature of the character’s level, but instead will be based on the health of the warrior or druid. Again, there is a constant that is multiplied by the rage generated in order to allow for fine-tuning. This calculation ignores all damage reduction from armor, absorption, avoidance, block, or similar mechanics, so improving your gear will not reduce Rage gained.

For this I don’t really have any solid numbers, but I’ll present my quick findings. Naturally as prot you will gain rage from blocking or spell reflecting, if you are specced into it, but now I’m talking about just simple being hit without avoiding of any kind.

I asked Ceraius and Kakos from my guild to damage me in few different ways. We found out the following:

* 950 damage melee swings gave me 1 rage every time.
    * 3700 damage Howling Blast gave me 3 rage.
    * 4300 damage Chaos Bolt gave me 4 rage.
    * 5300 damage Soul Fire gave me 4 rage.
    * 9500 damage Chaos Bolt crit gave me 8 rage.
    * 12530 damage Soul Fire crit gave me 11 rage.
    * 1700 damage Immolate DoT gave me 1 rage

So the pattern is somewhat seeable. An awfully rounded rule of thumb could be 1 rage per 1000 damage, but as we can all see, it isn’t exactly true, but quite close.

The game will also remember digits here since when Kakos Immolated me, the initial 2200 damage it gave me 2 rage, the first tick put it up to 3 rage, but the second tick made it up to 5 rage.
    You missed an important factor there. How much health he warrior had?
    Because thats what affects our rage when being damaged.

based on the health of the warrior or druid
    Goes against
    improving your gear will not reduce Rage gained
    So the more health you have less rage you will get from attacks. A 1000 damage attack that gives you 2 rage at 30k healht, will only give 1 rage at 60k health, of course the numbers are just an example, as i dont have the real formulas, but the theory can be proven ingame by tanking low level mobs.

That being said, rage wasnt normalized at all, we still get full rage bar if the boss is hitting us for 50% of our health, and almost no rage if its hitting for under 1% of our health. Only way they could fix the tanking low level content is making the formula based on base health, something like damage*basehealth*normalizationfactor. But still would get broken at later tiers and we would be at 100 rage constantly.
    I dont think there is any way they can possibly "normalize" rage for tanks.
    Last edited by shadowkras; 2010-11-26 at 04:01 PM.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Deleted
    Well noticed! I had 44k health while doing that, approximately.