10+ Year Old Account

Beta 2v2 Arena footage - Arms/Hpally vs Frostmage/Rogue

Posted just over a week ago from the Paladin's point of view we see a great 2v2 showdown that, IMO, was pretty fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R7IS9IL91w
    Note: This video was taken AFTER the latest Recuperate nerf.

Affix's comment on this (pay attention to the bolded parts):
    Quote Originally Posted by Affix
    This is my response to the following post in a deleted thread about Frost PvP at 85, I thought it was important:
    The thing is we have yet to see a vid "shopped or not" of anything other than a mage doing these "numbers"
    He brings up an interesting point: From the perspective of someone who isn't playing Cata Arenas in Beta, Mages of course look overpowered because nobody is posting PvP videos of the games that are balanced, they're just showing these silly examples of people blowing up players in PvE gear, or pre-stam/resil buff videos of people getting globaled by massive Frostbolt shatters before they nerfed Shatter.

Here's a video of me playing with Enforcer vs. a Pally/Warrior (from the Paladin's perspective). This is what high level (2600+) Cataclysm PvP looks like post-stamina buff, when all players are geared appropriately. This is not a cherry-picked game where I'm showing us never getting crits or anything like this: this is actually what an average 85 arena match looks like in terms of my damage output.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R7IS9IL91w

Tell me if, at any point, you think I did unreasonable damage. Note that I'm geared optimally - mostly PvP pieces with a few PvE crit offset pieces for more reliable shatters. This is the kind of damage output you can expect from Mages in S9, assuming no mechanics change.

As a caveat, this is our first game together and we had no Skype, not exactly trying to showcase skill here, just damage output.
    Since we're dealing with Affix here and he's playing a FrostMage, I expected the round to last less than 5 seconds with someone getting globaled within a Deep Freeze - interestingly enough nothing like that happened, so you can thank all the idiots spreading biased videos and rumors of FrostMages at 85.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2010-11-19 at 12:31 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    I have found Affix to be by far the most candid and trust worthy mage, maybe even player, to take advice from. And after playing on live and in beta, I completely agree with him here. Watching his streams he can seem a little arrogant sometimes, but he is one of the best players in this game and is nice enough to share his experience with the community.
    Lightning Fast

Makes me feel better about damage at 85 in general. But on the other hand my only 80 is a rogue, and if mages are "fine" at 85 then what does that mean for rogues?

Quote Originally Posted by Battoria View Post
    Makes me feel better about damage at 85 in general. But on the other hand my only 80 is a rogue, and if mages are "fine" at 85 then what does that mean for rogues?
    Watching this, it seems to me that Rogues are just fine at 85. And this is POST Recuperate Nerf. Rogues should remain a solid class for S9.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    so you can thank all the idiots spreading biased videos and rumors of FrostMages at 85.
    They just like doing that... Nothing can stop them. I made screenshots about the Mage damage, HP and Resilience at 85, calculating that it's lower than it was in both TBC and Wotlk compared to the total HP of the players, and they just ignored my posts and continued with the "nerf mages" threads. A few beta players are complaining about the Mages too, posting obsolete videos pre-nerf and etc. And the people believe them since "they are in the beta". It's ridiculous.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2010-11-19 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    They just like doing that... Nothing can stop them. I made screenshots about the Mage damage, HP and Resilience at 85, calculating that it's lower than it was in both TBC and Wotlk compared to the total HP of the players, and they just ignored my posts and continued with the "nerf mages" threads. A few beta players are complaining about the Mages too, posting obsolete videos pre-nerf and etc. And the people believe them since "they are in the beta". It's ridiculous.
    Yep... present any form of logical debate into a thread, and it gets drowned out with QQ posts and "nerf this Blizzard pl0x" posts. It is rediculous, and I'm glad that somebody has posted this video on this forum. This video is proof they aren't OP, it was a fair fight, and the War/Pally simply got outplayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawlocoptor View Post
    Yep... present any form of logical debate into a thread, and it gets drowned out with QQ posts and "nerf this Blizzard pl0x" posts. It is rediculous, and I'm glad that somebody has posted this video on this forum. This video is proof they aren't OP, it was a fair fight, and the War/Pally simply got outplayed.
    anyone with half a brain (I.E. 2% of the playerbase) knows mages are entirely different at 85 then at 80.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AedanWolfe View Post
    (I.E. 2% of the playerbase)
    ...nice.

Quote Originally Posted by AedanWolfe View Post
    anyone with half a brain (I.E. 2% of the playerbase) knows mages are entirely different at 85 then at 80.
    Because 16k ice lances are so much better.

OT: Most people who complain about frost mages are talking in a one on one perspective. In arena such as a 2 vs 2 you see the mage using his cooldowns defensively to help his partner instead of trying to global the paladin (with a bubble) and a warrior with shield wall.

2 different settings
    2 different perspectives
    2 different outcomes
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Because 16k ice lances are so much better.

OT: Most people who complain about frost mages are talking in a one on one perspective. In arena such as a 2 vs 2 you see the mage using his cooldowns defensively to help his partner instead of trying to global the paladin (with a bubble) and a warrior with shield wall.

2 different settings
    2 different perspectives
    2 different outcomes
    those people need to:
    1 learn to play, 1v1 is not a viable comparison of classes no matter how hard they try to make it seem like it is
    2 learn to think, people are supposed to be doing this normally without being asked to do so, sadly it barely happens (idd 2% as said before)
    3 learn to play in a group, MMOs by definition imply you play in one. If they want to solo roflstomp anything they should play a singleplayer game.
    Perspective is like a coin. It has two faces, but most people fail to see both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Change out the paladin healer and put in a disc healer, the game would have ended after 5secs.
    The perfumed* boys he wrapped in chains and threw into the sea. They were unnatural creatures, and the ship smelled better once cleansed of their presence.

*Degenerative Casuals

Actually, I think the lower Mage damage might be a problem in long fights. TBC Arenas all over again.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2010-11-20 at 10:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Actually, I think the lower Mage damage might be a problem in long fights. TBC Arenas all over again.
    Cut the QQ, the damage is looking good. Shatter will always be reliable burst and now we have three reliable ways to consider a target frozen:
    > Pet Freeze granting 2 charges of FoF is a godsend
    > Improved CoC = 4 sec Frost Nova on a 8 sec cooldown
    > And of course, Frost Nova

I'm more concerned about Arcane and Fire PvP @ 85. Being bottlenecked into Frost for maximum PvP potential for the last 3 years has been nothing short of frustrating, Cata better not continue that.

Deleted
    If Mages dosnt show up as the class with absolute most rep in s9 - i think its safe to say that the wow community have lost any shred of credibility it might have had left.
    Allso, am i the only one wondering how just about every wow player - no matter what they play, have managed to roll "the worst class come cata"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    If Mages dosnt show up as the class with absolute most rep in s9 - i think its safe to say that the wow community have lost any shred of credibility it might have had left.
    Allso, am i the only one wondering how just about every wow player - no matter what they play, have managed to roll "the worst class come cata"?
    Gear/l2p issues.

There is changes that needs to be done in terms of PvP for certain classes but I have already told it so many times.
    The perfumed* boys he wrapped in chains and threw into the sea. They were unnatural creatures, and the ship smelled better once cleansed of their presence.

*Degenerative Casuals