BS/ENG > everything

I seriously do not understand why Eng and BS are so overpowered in terms of dps over Tailoring and Leatherworking. Eng enchants stacking with enchanting enchants plus helm cogwheels. Blacksmithing really bothers me too. How many extra sockets can they add now? 4?

Then they decide to increase mats to level tailoring (and all crafting in general) by including volatile primals. Really? Give tailoring absolutely nothing and increase mats needed to make items.

I really don't want to have to make my lock eng and especially BS for better damage.

JC beats BS. In any case, you cant have total balance with variety.

I think I was just upset that they took away "unravel" that skill that let tailors tear apart the new cloth to turn it into the new elements.......also tailors didn't get a new passive does the northrend one work still? I know alch still keeps mixolgy

Quote Originally Posted by Kripparrian View Post
    JC beats BS. In any case, you cant have total balance with variety.
    but when epic gems come out will JC still beat bs? JC was top at the start of wrath, but when epic gems came out the difference made it the same stat wise as enchanting and BS

Quote Originally Posted by Vicieus View Post
    but when epic gems come out will JC still beat bs? JC was top at the start of wrath, but when epic gems came out the difference made it the same stat wise as enchanting and BS
    the reason JC was way ahead at the start of wotlk was because dragon's eyes matched all socket colors. after they changed that, JC bonus was in line with other professions. when epic gems were released, they increased the stats on dragon's eyes to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffyjeff View Post
    the reason JC was way ahead at the start of wotlk was because dragon's eyes matched all socket colors. after they changed that, JC bonus was in line with other professions. when epic gems were released, they increased the stats on dragon's eyes to compensate.
    brilliant scarlet ruby 16 sp
    brilliant dragonseye 34 sp (might have been 32 before the int change.)

True having the dragonseyes prismatic was even more op, but stat wise you double the value of the blue quality gem per each one.

brilliant scarlet ruby 16 sp
    brilliant dragonseye 34 sp (might have been 32 before the int change.)

True having the dragonseyes prismatic was even more op, but stat wise you double the value of the blue quality gem per each one.
    no shit? the dragon's eye used to give less stats.. when the epic gems were released, the stats on them were increased to keep JC benefits in line with other professions. the ONLY reason that JC was way ahead of other professions was that dragon's eyes were prismatic.

to make this very clear to you --
    when wrath came out:
    blue gem: 19sp
    dragon's eye: 32sp
    JC bonus: 39sp + socket bonuses, meta requirements due to prismatic dragon's eye
    blacksmithing bonus at the time: 2 sockets (38sp)

when epic gems came out:
    blue gem: 19sp
    epic gem: 23sp
    dragon's eye: 39sp
    JC bonus: 48sp
    blacksmithing bonus at the time: 2 sockets (46sp)

as you can see, JC provides a slightly greater bonus than blacksmithing (1sp originally, 2sp after epic gems came out and dragon's eye's stats were increased) but the larger benefit of JC was in the ability to gain socket bonuses and meeting meta requirements easier through dragon's eye's prismatic gems.
    Last edited by jeffyjeff; 2010-11-19 at 05:56 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    LW/JC > all for Unholy DK at least

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    LW/JC > all for Unholy DK at least
    You have clearly never used engineering or at least thought about it and talking without a clue. Engineering is "the best" profession for a dps in both pve and pvp. No profession's stat increase is going to let you live when you overagro something-get out of fire faster so you can get back to dpsing faster-changing target, start dps faster and the list goes on. And especially with the removal of arp and changing how agility works, there are less secondary stats thus letting haste shine more.

actually, BS and JC are lesser professions if you intend to use http://cata.wowhead.com/item=52291

Leatherworking has been in a terrible state for years =( I wish something would be done with it.
    On the other hand, Im excited for teh volatile airs component (as you can mine,skin,herb them), as I will be able to flex the market as many people go with two crafting professions.

I would love to do engineering but it is such a pain in the ass to grind up, I want my warrior to be engy/bs one day. But I am hesitant to drop mining so close to an expansion, gonna wait to see how engineering pans out during the first tier, I have a feeling blizzard will nerf it.

I'm tired of hearing "The only reason JC was better"... threads where only the prismatic fact gets pointed out.

JC/BS still ends up being the most versatile combination giving up the least in stats.

Ring enchants are limited to a very select set of stats, as are the leatherworking linings and is the case for most professions. For this reason JC and BS beat most other combinations due to the versatility of the extra stats you get from gems. What other professions provide extra resilience? None. What other professions provide bonuses to haste? None. That is why it was the number one combination for my paly in WoTLK. On top of that, you trade out gems far more in getting new gear than you do enchants, so you save yourself a ton in cutting your own gems.

Engineering is now an option though as you get "fun" bonuses that you don't get from any other profession and you don't sacrifice enchantment options for them. Early on in the expansion, the extra stats will be at the top. By the end, when stats aren't as valuable because of gear scaling, Engineering's fun will be at the top like it is now.

The good news is that it should be much easier to swap professions in Cataclysm, go with what you like and will give you the kind of bonus you want at that time.

You can always tell who hasn't theorycrafted.

LW will be far and above everything else for every single role in Cata. The reason for this being all other professions simply give you an extra few points on top of what you have, while the LW bonus effectively allow you to "reforge" your wrist enchant to a primary stat. 130 agil/str/int/stam > 65 crit/haste/dodge. It's a several hundred HPS/DPS increase for most classes, and is the only way to get stamina to bracers for tanks.

LW/JC will be BIS for everyone except resto shaman in Cata.

How many extra sockets can they add now? 4?
    did i miss something? when did they add 2 new sockets for blacksmiths?
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." (Albert Einstein)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    You can always tell who hasn't theorycrafted.

LW will be far and above everything else for every single role in Cata. The reason for this being all other professions simply give you an extra few points on top of what you have, while the LW bonus effectively allow you to "reforge" your wrist enchant to a primary stat. 130 agil/str/int/stam > 65 crit/haste/dodge. It's a several hundred HPS/DPS increase for most classes, and is the only way to get stamina to bracers for tanks.

LW/JC will be BIS for everyone except resto shaman in Cata.
    That's what I was thinking as well. It just seems so shitty that Engy doesn't have a good melee glove enchant or bombs. Without those, if you have good raid awareness, you won't need shit like rocket boots, so Engy seems to be very lackluster.

10+ Year Old Account
    For hardcore raiding, I suppose BS and Engineering are a pretty lethal combo. For pvp, not so... engineering enchants are useless in arena, not sure about rated BG's, I certainly hope not.

Its personal preference really, my Hunter is a LW and Skinner, Warlock is a Tailor and Enchanter and my Paladin is a JC and Miner. I find JCing the best, due to the money that you make, plus the 'JCer only gems' and combined with mining, im hopeing to make heaps of gold on cata's release.

Tailoring is awsome for my warlock, because I needed a toon with enchanting (for extra profits) and tailoring makes it so easy to level due to disenchanting. Also enchanting can make loads for random instancing with disenchant

If that is true about LW, it'll only be for the first tier because they'll nerf it for sure like they did to JC.