Poll: Do you think the majority of the playerbase care for lore?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stings View Post
    Casuals are a big part of this game, casuals don't care for this game. I'd say no, they just enjoy the game and is 'WTF' over theres a Deathwing Guy all of the sudden.
    Basicly this is what I think is the state of the WoW community. There is too much "lolz ownedzzz" atmosphere amongst the playerbase. I don't mind it myself except that I don't want to be a part of it. However this sort of player is very vocal and fairly ignorant about a variety of things. They indeed will go beserk whenever a storyline moment kicks in the game. They have since day 1 only cared about equipping epic gear on their characters, nothing will change that.

Most people don't give a crap about lore, most people don't read quests texts, most people don't care one bit about any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kucedon View Post
    Basicly this is what I think is the state of the WoW community. There is too much "lolz ownedzzz" atmosphere amongst the playerbase. I don't mind it myself except that I don't want to be a part of it. However this sort of player is very vocal and fairly ignorant about a variety of things. They indeed will go beserk whenever a storyline moment kicks in the game. They have since day 1 only cared about equipping epic gear on their characters, nothing will change that.
    So do certain "hardcore" raiders....why else would they nerd rage so much over "casuals" getting decent gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately the majority doesnt care and that's really disappointing because wow has a really rich lore that its worth to spend some time and read it.

Most people don't bother. I didn't read the lore until i had already played for a year and it made the game so much more enjoyable. I made a few friends read it and they all agree it adds to the experience.

Hacking something to pieces is better when you know why you're doing it.

You know, for a kitten that shits rainbows, you seem to like to stay inside the box.

I voted expecting the results to be heavily favored to the "No" side. I'm glad to see they aren't!
    Ashmit, 80 Human Priest - Ranald, 80 Human Deathknight - Aiera, 60 Human Mage
    Human Race, represent.
    Garrosh is a poopoo-face.

I personally very much enjoy the lore. It makes the gameplay so much richer. However, I believe the majority of players do not care for lore at at all, and hence why Blizz can change it and manipulate it at will. If the majority of players cared about lore, there would probably be no Horde paladins or Alliance shamans, or any of the new race/class combos. There would be less complaining about how the Horde gets this or the Alliance doesn't get this, because players would realize it's about the story and how it is unfolding.

If the majority cared for lore, there would would significantly less threads of people asking why this and why that, they would read the literature or go wowwiki it. I mean, people can't even read patch notes. Or the front post of wow-champion. The majority are not gonna read lore.

Deleted
    I have a question - where to read the lore apart from the quest texts? I'm not going to pay for any books.

Why would you play a game without reading/knowing the storyline? What would be the point of "epic lewtz" if there was no lore to back it up? Gear just makes you stronger so you can get more gear, its a viscious and pointless cycle. Without lore to give it meaning, there would be no point to playing the game...

A lot of people dont even know their faction leaders so i have to go with no

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I was thinking about this...Do you think the majority of WoW players really care for lore? As an RPer I have always held an interest about the lore surrounding the world we play in, however I can't help but feel we're a minority
    your assuming MMO-champion represents the majority though, to be more specific this sub section of the forums, I would say most people care about a story how much I cannot really say, most people just want a reason to play. For example lore is not on the top of my list but I would like to know why as a member of the horde or the alliance I have to kill the other side, or if I agree with the justifications for killing them.

Also for Combatbutlers remark you can be into lore and not know who is leading things for example I would have to say 90% of lore people would just say Aqua man is the leader of the blood elves.
    Last edited by private420; 2010-11-19 at 07:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really Roleplay (I mean, I do it jokingly sometimes, but never anything serious), but I do love the lore. It's one of my favourite things about WoW. I know in Cataclysm I'll be reading almost every quest I get, because I loves me some story.

But, to be honest, no, I don't think the majority of WoW players care much for lore. I'd say it's probably like 70 - 30 in favor of the non-lorehounds.

I don't care about lore at all. To be totally honest I don't think I ever read an entire text of a quest unless I got lost and didn't know what to do. Thank God for thottbot back in the day. My whole goal was to hurry and level to max level so I can pvp and kick ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Garekh View Post
    It's the main reason I enjoy WoW, but I don't RP.

I also don't really care about gear. I just want to be able to personally see the story unfold, and the gear is just a means to that end.
    This exactly
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that the majority does, but I know for myself if I look something up about a character, I usually end up spending an hour or two reading about lore one way or another. I'm no lore nut, but I think Warcraft lore is some awesome reading.
    I like to change my sig A LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindaika View Post
    If Goblins were from Jersey, they wouldn't live in Orgimmar. They'd live in Crossroads and commute to Org via bridges and tunnels, and then complain about the Kodo traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    ... Why trolls? Because we regenerate 2 health per second and there is nothing you can do about it.

Its a Sad fact, in my opinion, but most people just no.
    I play the Game for the Lore itself, never RolePlayed, but I feel curiosity from what things are like, knowing what Im fighting instead of being "Oh! This Dragon is named Malygos! Here Blue Dragon! Come here!"

Felt the curiosity of exploring what the game is about, during the start of The Burning Crusade, and since then, I've begun to like it alot.
    The Lore is all like... connected. Its a really complex Lore but really awesome.

Really hope more players get interested in Lore. If they do, they will really enjoy the game much more.
    Last edited by TheTwistedRaven; 2010-11-19 at 07:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Megara View Post
    I have a question - where to read the lore apart from the quest texts? I'm not going to pay for any books.
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Portal:Main is your friend.
    "When there is an evil justice cannot defeat, what would you do? Would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you carry out your own justice and succumb to that evil?". - Code Geass

Also, here is a link to my Döppelganger ^_^

No. Most people do not care about lore.

Most people have only played WoW and barely pay attention to quest text.

Some have played Warcraft 3.

Very few have played Warcraft:Orcs and Humans or Tides of Darkness/Beyond The Dark Portal.

Even fewer have actually read any (much less all) of the novels or comics.

It's the rare soul that does all of the above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Megara View Post
    HATE!
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2010-11-19 at 07:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm an old skool RPG'er. I don't RP, I do have a keen appreciation for good lore and good storytelling while questing. I'm the person who likes to read the quest text. An RPG of any kind (single player or multi) with crap lore/storytelling is a game that usually bores me after a short while, even if the game's overall combat/graphics/sound/etc. mechanics are good.
    "Work is da poop! NO MORE!" - Disgruntled Dragonmaw Peon

Quote Originally Posted by Stings View Post
    Casuals are a big part of this game, casuals don't care for this game. I'd say no, they just enjoy the game and is 'WTF' over theres a Deathwing Guy all of the sudden.
    You're using casuals like it's a bogeyman of fail. Like most governments use terrorists. It's a casual, it'll ruin everything, lock it up. Shoot it on sight. BAM.

No.

If you're not playing for pvp, and pve isn't a big concern, then there's only a few concerns you can have, and lore is one of them. Casual's interest in lore is skewed the same as everyone else. It doesn't matter how much or little you play or what you play for, there is a mix of attitudes to the game and while some player types might have a different makeup, there's a mix of the following.

1) I don't care about lore at all. The fact it's a big dragon or cthulu esque god or massive robot is enough for me.
    2) I don't pay attention but I have a vague idea and if someone tells me something I often end up paying attention, remembering and thinking "oh that's cool". I might remember a few quests I did having cool stories and know some backstory through hanging around with 3 and 4.
    3) The lore improves my game play a lot. Might do a bit of research, I probably don't have (m)any WoW books or media but I tend to be curious about things and ask/look it up.
    4) I love the lore, it's why any of this is fun.
    5) I'm beating a challenge and hitting a sequence of keys

I suspect 5 is rare. Even people who don't care for lore must get at least a little from "I'm killing a badass dragon" "I'm fighting a giant growing monster thing" which isn't the lore but there's still an element of killing mythical monsters or whatever. Even those people just after level cap and lewtz probably still at least care that they're fighting a big insane dragon rather than just a big red dot that they have to avoid the aoe of and nuke which adds. That said it's also more complicated because some people switch priorities. I want to level fast in cata, hit 85 and get lewtz but I still care about the lore, I'm a fast reader, faster than anyone I've ever met or talked to (I only claim to have met one of the cleverest people in world though, he finished his cambridge maths masters and went to MIT though) and I might be shooting through zones but I'm still excited about seeing what's going on in Hyjal after so long, and I can't wait to smite deathwing's minions. I'm not going to be going in without any idea why I'm doing what quests but the urgency of other things might push me down to a 2 for a bit.

WoW's lore isn't the best ever if I'm honest, it's not bad at all and it adds meaning, depth and the like to the gameplay. If the gameplay were awful WoW wouldn't be of any merit at all just for it's lore (whereas say.. warhammer 40K, Mass Effect series both have fantastic backstory available in the game/boxed set) but the lore is still a positive thing. Of course that's because I'm 3) so i'm more likely to say that.