Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Platinum coinage

After the Cataclysm ripped the world asunder, new minerals have appeared. Platinum, a precious metal that was previously to rare to become an official coinage has now appeared in large numbers, along with other metals such as Elementium (Which wouldn't make an ideal currency). Shortages of Gold has lead the noble Alliance and Orcish Horde to adopt it as a new currency. 1 Platinum piece equals approximately 1,000 Gold pieces.

Just an idea I came up with. What do you guys think?

15+ Year Old Account
    adding a new level of currency isn't needed

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure would be nice to sum up vast amounts of gold.
    We're all just a bunch of nut-cases or people egging on nut-cases or people trying to rationalize with nut-cases or people accidentally trying to rationalize with eggers and we all decided for ourselves who each other are. I've returned to deciding that we're all just a bunch of nut-cases.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    adding a new level of currency isn't needed
    It's not necessary, but it sure would simplify things. Instead of having 50,000 gold in your inventory you can have 50 platinum.

They'd have to get rid of copper or something, 4 levels of currency just seems unnecessary. though if i remember correctly, Guild Wars has a 4 tier currency (Platinum, Gold, Silver, Copper) and it worked fine.

Deleted
    the dwarves would have found it. and 3 tiers of currency is enough, major QQ would follow

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why, but at the same time I don't see why not. However I would suggest making it 100g per piece of platinum, seeing as it's 100 copper per silver and 100 silver per gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    But then you would have people whine that they dont feel like they have as much gold as they have, because the bigger the number the better as you all know.

Because most other MMOs have a 4 tier currency. EQ 1 & 2 and DDO are some notable ones.

Deleted
    things would just be called "plats"...

makes NO difference what so ever exept they would be mis"read" as silver in teh AH

15+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy having 220k gold, instead of 220 platinum. Just a satisfaction thing I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbait View Post
    the dwarves would have found it. and 3 tiers of currency is enough, major QQ would follow
    Anyone who QQs over something like that is retarded and needs to go jump off a bridge.

15+ Year Old Account
    one of two things would happen

1. Gold would become devalued, so the new money sinks would go from 50k gold to 5000 platinum
    2. everyone just looks poor, which is more fun to see? 5050g 15s 35c or 5p 50g 15s 35c. Answer is the 5050 gold, big numbers are fun

Quote Originally Posted by Nioxic View Post
    things would just be called "plats"...

makes NO difference what so ever exept they would be mis"read" as silver in teh AH
    You'll know it's not silver when you don't have enough money to buy it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by niehan View Post
    Because most other MMOs have a 4 tier currency. EQ 1 & 2 and DDO are some notable ones.
    When was ever "Because everyone else is doing it" a good enough reason to do anything. If we could deduce exactly why they are doing it, then we might have a valid reason. I have no problems operating with gold in the 100000s, but maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by niehan View Post
    You'll know it's not silver when you don't have enough money to buy it.
    Or when you think you're getting a really good deal and then BAM all your money is gone

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Because copper, silver, gold and platinum is pretty much the norm across many fantasy settings and games.
    Let's get some green thorium coins or emeralds up in this bitch! That way at least no one would mistake them for silver...

Quote Originally Posted by Puffman View Post
    Or when you think you're getting a really good deal and then BAM all your money is gone
    Then you deserve it for being stupid enough to think that this awesome BoE epic is going for 5 silver.

Why stop at 4?!

100 copper = 1 silver
    100 silver = 1 gold
    100 gold = 1 platinum
    100 platinum = 1 titanium
    100 titanium = 1 elementium
    100 elementium = 1 mega copper
    100 mega copper = 1 mega silver