Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    This is something Blizzard is doing now, my brother got the same thing when he came to visit me a couple of weeks ago. He just reset his password, and was good to go.

Blizzard is just being proactive in stopping account hacks. If you pass their criterion for "unusual login activity" which includes logging in from an IP address that it doesn't have in recent memory for you, it will lock your account and force you to change your password.

Note that it says a bunch, but if you're sure your account is safe, you really only need to change your password once to unlock your account.

It's a slight pain, but it's not something you should encounter often unless you are moving a lot, and then it takes about 1-2 minutes to change your password. Better safe than sorry.

---------- Post added 2010-11-20 at 01:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Conza23 View Post
    It happened to me a few months ago when I changed my living location. But as someone said above about people possibly falling for scams this way. I don't think it's entirely possible. When I had my account locked, I was provided a link on the log in screen for wow itself that directed me to battle.net. All I did was double check the e-mail link then followed that and the simple three stage process to reset password.

And to ComputerNerd; It's a good feature for authenticated accounts as well, considering a couple of people I know who own authenticators have had their accounts hacked even with it. No idea how it happened, but it did. It's a fair safety measure that generally helps everyone.

Just an extra thing to the OP. After receiving that e-mail from Blizz telling me to redo my password, I had a few hundred scam e-mails, just keep your eyes open for them after.
    Accounts with authenticators can be hacked by software which effectively inserts itself between your WoW Client and the Blizzard servers. It records the authenticator number you enter and sends a different one to Blizzard, thereby preventing you from logging in, and giving whoever is reading out what the software sends a few seconds or however log a physical one lasts (I use a mobile one) to log in to your account and clean it out.

Just follow the directions and reset password. After recently being stationed in South Korea as a Military Permanant Change of Station this happened to be about the first 3 times i logged in here, after Blizzard see's that I recovered my acct and continually logging into my Acct from here it stopped. I also have a authenticator but this is definitely a welcome additional security measure.

To answer a few questions:

1) I will change my password when I get home, on my "normal" ip. But I shouldn't have to. (I know, "QQ more noob", etc).

2) I am 5 miles from my home, so it's not like i went from Minneapolist to Chicago in 5 minutes.

3) It is kinda sketchy, i'm not angry or anything, i just think it's... odd. Now if I was signed up for the dial-in authenticator, it would ask me to call the number. But dangitall I have a REAL (well mobile) authenticator, and I was able to provide that number. That's why I am upset.
    ~ No Worries Gaming ~
    Home of Casual Warcraft, THE podcast for the casual in all of us
    Find us on iTunes or on our homepage
    http://www.noworriesgaming.com

Deleted
    I have account registered in UK to pay 2e less monthly fee due to Pound being so damn cheap lately No warnings so far, and I change my location every time I have to transfer chars, buy TRH or something. I also travel a lot, and I haven't had any problem logging in in GErmany, France, Poland, Macedonia, UK or Spain, although I normaly play in Slovenia.

I also move between my parent's appartment on weekends and my flat in the city located 100km away, No problem their either.

It's a pain. My girl and I have to reset passwords because we often log into each other's accounts.
    But with all the recent account thefts, you can't really blame Blizzard.
    « DOr shar'adore da shando! » ♥

« Vladka | Ryska | Radka »

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartadin View Post
    Accounts with authenticators can be hacked by software which effectively inserts itself between your WoW Client and the Blizzard servers. It records the authenticator number you enter and sends a different one to Blizzard, thereby preventing you from logging in, and giving whoever is reading out what the software sends a few seconds or however log a physical one lasts (I use a mobile one) to log in to your account and clean it out.
    Just to help stop spreading this rumor, the Blizzard employee who stated this was an MitM attack was completely incorrect.

It's actually just a standard keylogger than hooks into WoW and PREVENTS the code from ever being sent in the first place. The hook activates the error message that WoW usually shows when an invalid transmission is made.

There is a critical difference. An MitM attack requires an interception of a transmission AND injection of something into the transmission (otherwise it would just be listening). This did not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by gavion View Post
    3) It is kinda sketchy, i'm not angry or anything, i just think it's... odd. Now if I was signed up for the dial-in authenticator, it would ask me to call the number. But dangitall I have a REAL (well mobile) authenticator, and I was able to provide that number. That's why I am upset.
    Authenticators can be hacked by keyloggers using a hook into WoW.

Yes, it requires a certain level of user stupidity to pull off (if your WoW client keeps giving you an error or crashing, you've probably been hacked!).
    Last edited by Simca; 2010-11-20 at 07:38 AM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

So i have gotten my account fixed finally, but is it possible to have both a normal authenticator and dial in authenticator. I tried adding the dial in to my account but it said i have to remove my authenticator before i can add the dial in one. Anyone else having this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Authenticators can be hacked by keyloggers using a hook into WoW.

Yes, it requires a certain level of user stupidity to pull off (if your WoW client keeps giving you an error or crashing, you've probably been hacked!).
    yeah, that's definitely not the case. There was no crashing, or anything, and it was a legit message that came up.
    ~ No Worries Gaming ~
    Home of Casual Warcraft, THE podcast for the casual in all of us
    Find us on iTunes or on our homepage
    http://www.noworriesgaming.com

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Samoria View Post
    So i have gotten my account fixed finally, but is it possible to have both a normal authenticator and dial in authenticator. I tried adding the dial in to my account but it said i have to remove my authenticator before i can add the dial in one. Anyone else having this problem?
    You can't have both.

What i did was i responded to that email with an email saying i have 2 computers that i play wow on and it never happend again for me

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Same thing happened to me yesterday when I logged from my place(IP changed during the night) and got a messege that due to suspicias activete my account was locked.I changed the pass and everything logged back in and made a ticket.Gm told me it was because of that new system and he marked my account so that shouldnt happen again for my own PC.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickstarh View Post
    What i did was i responded to that email with an email saying i have 2 computers that i play wow on and it never happend again for me
    Also did that btw.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gavion View Post
    yeah, that's definitely not the case. There was no crashing, or anything, and it was a legit message that came up.
    Just for the record, it brings up the "Invalid Login information" notice, which is an official Blizzard error message.

I don't think that's what happened to you though.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

If you are using a proxy service make sure is supports "login with own IP address" this I have found on a few one pingbetter.com has client or launcher application which has a checkbox in its settings to enable this feature.

I have also seen high latency first login since the prep started for Cataclysm but if I quit WOW and restart it settles down more quickly.

Tried a few proxy services which dis reduce the ping proportionally, however still saw this phenomena just the actual ping mS was reduced.

I am in New Zealand so I always get a high ping 500 + is typical, tried a local proxy firm pingbetter.com and got around 200 after a minute or two. Having said this depite the game reporting 2000 + ping for a while after login initial the character movement in Daralan seemed Ok

Quote Originally Posted by Petal View Post
    Blizzard afaik mointors the location of the IP addresses we use when we log into their servers...

If say one moment you are logging in from say Phoenix, Arizona and then 5 mins later from Hong Kong... that would be suspicious.

Still I would think it would take more than a single suspicious incident to lock an account.

That's the best I've got. : | Goodluck with getting things sorted out.
    This may be the case. I live in Illinois and had traveled to Nebraska and began to play WoW later that night on my laptop. Sure enough the next morning i had the same "suspicious activity" emails your mentioning.