Background Downloader

why doesnt my WOW folder have the Background downloader? does Blizzard still use it? do I have to download it? where do i get the downloader?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they do, as for why it is missing, no idea. The only time i lost mine years ago was when i accidentally deleted it. >.<

We no longer use a background downloader in the sense that you are accustomed to. The new launcher that was implemented in 4.0.1 acts as the downloader and actively downloads new game data as it is needed. There is no longer a separate program to run or anything like that. If you're in the process of reinstalling the game I'd recommend using our online installer through battle.net rather than the disks as the installer bypasses the need for any patches. From a email I got from a GM

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    If you're in the process of reinstalling the game I'd recommend using our online installer through battle.net rather than the disks as the installer bypasses the need for any patches
    I truly love the new system they have put in place during WotLK. Reinstalling the game has never been easier.