Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gtx460 or hd5770?

Heyo, first I'm typing this from my iPod so forgivebad grammar, formatting etc.

I've been looking at graphicscards lately and for my price range (about 150-170 USD). Basically what would people here recommend: the 5770 or gtx460? I know the gtx has less memory but a higher interface count (whatever it is) and I'm just curious what would be better/more futureproof for my build.

Going to be running an
    asus am3 mobo (unsure of model)
    amd phenom II X4 965
    550w psu by corsair
    gskill ram 4gigs 1600mhz

thanks! If there are any compatibility issues please let me know.

Deleted
    HD 5770 is totally fine for WoW. But get the GTX 460 if you want to be future proof (And get better performance in other games).
    Remember the 1GB version of the GTX 460 has a little higher Pixel fill rate and memory bandwidth, than the 768MB version. So it will handle Anti Aliasing and bigger resolutions better.
    Last edited by mmoc08e0cbb1c7; 2010-11-22 at 02:43 PM.

Sweet, that's what I was leaning towards. I'll check out that 1gb version.

---------- Post added 2010-11-22 at 11:17 AM ----------

Alright, slightly concerned here.. if I pick up the GTX460 (which I most likely will now, as it's seeming to be a better choice over the 5770), the estimated wattage from the newegg PSU calculator is saying I'll need about 570W. My PSU is rated for 550W. Am I screwed?

Deleted
    Why would you pay the full price of an 460? You can get an 6xxx series ATI card for that kind of money. The 5770 is totally fine for WoW and I think it will be for a long time. Besides WoW I played Black Ops (again on 1080p with relatively High settings I think I only lowered AA to 4x) and NFS: Hot Pursuit (again 1080p and everything cranked up).
    If you`ve got the money for an GTX 460 ... rather get one of the new ATI 6xxx series.

Deleted
    5770 and GTX460 aren't really competing against each other, the AMD equivalient of GTX460 is 6850. The choice between these two narrow down to one thing that you did not mention in your post: the resolution you are going to be playing at. That's one of the main things when picking a GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Maick View Post
    5770 and GTX460 aren't really competing against each other, the AMD equivalient of GTX460 is 6850. The choice between these two narrow down to one thing that you did not mention in your post: the resolution you are going to be playing at. That's one of the main things when picking a GPU.
    Alright.. I just went with this because they were relatively in the same price range. the 6850 is a bit more expensive than the GTX460 from what I've seen on newegg (the 192bit, not the 256) so I wasn't sure what i was gonna get.

These decisions are too much :X but I guess I'll wait til black friday, see if i can't find any good deals on either of those cards and make my decision then. This build won't actually come to fruition until January when my taxes/dependancy doesn't matter as much with the cash i spend so hopefully prices will drop a bit more too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaarh View Post
    Sweet, that's what I was leaning towards. I'll check out that 1gb version.

---------- Post added 2010-11-22 at 11:17 AM ----------

Alright, slightly concerned here.. if I pick up the GTX460 (which I most likely will now, as it's seeming to be a better choice over the 5770), the estimated wattage from the newegg PSU calculator is saying I'll need about 570W. My PSU is rated for 550W. Am I screwed?
    I run an overclocked Core2Quad at 3.2 Ghz, GTX 460 (overclocked 766 Mhz core, 4000 Mhz memory), TV-Tuner card, lots of USB doodads, FOUR hard drives on a 450W Corsair PSU.

No fires yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    No fires yet!
    Made me lol, thank you. And alright, if that's the case then I'll stop worrying about the PSU and check up more on graphics cards. thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    ATI HD6870. There is a nice Black Edition on Newegg for $299. It's an amazing card. I do an over-haul of my computer every 2 years or so and just got 2 of these in CrossfireX. (Yes, I do a LOT more than play WoW)

Depending on what your cost restrictions are, I would check this out. (If you can save up the another $100 or so, it would be worth it. If you play FPSs or anything like that as well, then you would be secured for a while.)

Quote Originally Posted by vicarious ink View Post
    ATI HD6870. There is a nice Black Edition on Newegg for $299. It's an amazing card. I do an over-haul of my computer every 2 years or so and just got 2 of these in CrossfireX. (Yes, I do a LOT more than play WoW)

Depending on what your cost restrictions are, I would check this out. (If you can save up the another $100 or so, it would be worth it. If you play FPSs or anything like that as well, then you would be secured for a while.)
    If I could drop an extra $100 on a card, I would :/ but unfortunately that's out of the picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    My wife's computer has a 5770 in it currently and it plays much more advanced games than WoW just fine on max settings. So you would be more than fine.

Quote Originally Posted by vicarious ink View Post
    My wife's computer has a 5770 in it currently and it plays much more advanced games than WoW just fine on max settings. So you would be more than fine.
    Well shit. I'm gonna be bouncing back and forth between card choices for a while until I actually end up buying the thing. haha.

Where are you from OP?

Last friday I saw a Radeon 6850 for $175 CAD. It's usually $199 CAD. I just jumped on it. Definitely an amazing card for the price I got it from.

Check for stores with online price checks. You can get good prices with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well shit. I'm gonna be bouncing back and forth between card choices for a while until I actually end up buying the thing. haha.
    If your build isn't coming to life till next year, do the smart thing and wait patiently for some rather important events to unfold. I too need a new system but I'm not in a rush.
    > December 13th - HD6950, 6970 and 6990 release. This will be the last release of the 6xxx series from ATI. There is good a possibility their release will drive down the prices of the other cards...and it could even force NVidia to drop their prices (as they have done before) to compete with ATI's affordability.
    > "Pre-christmas" - The unveiling of the more sensibly-priced GTX560 and 570, which could cause more changes in overall pricing of other cards.
    > Q1 2011 - AMD and Intel launch sockets AM3+ and LGA1155/2011 respectively.
    I'm not too interested in new cpu sockets....so by the end of December my new beast that'll carry me through 2011-2013 should be ready
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2010-11-23 at 07:34 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    If your build isn't coming to life till next year, do the smart thing and wait patiently for some rather important events to unfold. I too need a new system but I'm not in a rush.
    > December 13th - HD6950, 6970 and 6990 release. This will be the last release of the 6xxx series from ATI There is good a possibility their release will drive down the prices of the other cards...and even force NVidia to drop their prices (as they have done before) to compete with ATI's affordability.
    > "Pre-christmas" - Possibly the unveiling of the more affordable GTX560 and 570, which could cause more changes in overall pricing of other cards.
    > Q1 2011 - AMD and Intel launch sockets AM3+ and LGA1155/2011 respectively.
    I'm not too interested in new cpu sockets....so by the end of December my new beast that'll carry me through 2011-2013 should be ready
    Yeah that's how it's gonna turn out, since I can't spend any more cash til January 1st because of some taxes thing. But I was just looking for some opinions to start with. Hopefully those new cards from ATI will drop the prices of the 6850 :P but we'll see. Thanks!

Squall: I'm from Maine.

Yeah the new releases are gonna drive prices down. But keep in mind that if you are just getting a card FOR WOW ONLY you wouldn't need a really epic one. You could even get a 5770 and call it a day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall13 View Post
    You could even get a 5770 and call it a day
    Exactly why I bought one quite a while back (got it at a great deal) and it has been serving me faithfully through WoW and COD4....unfortunately it will not carry through to my next build, I will miss my 5770, lovely card <3
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Squall13 View Post
    Yeah the new releases are gonna drive prices down. But keep in mind that if you are just getting a card FOR WOW ONLY you wouldn't need a really epic one. You could even get a 5770 and call it a day
    Haha yeah, if I was only buying for one game then the 5770 would be it, but I don't want to limit myself.. If I'm getting a gaming rig (and I just canceled XBL >_>) then I want to make sure it can play other games besides SCII and WoW. :P

GTX 460 annihilates the 5770

15+ Year Old Account
    Haha yeah, if I was only buying for one game then the 5770 would be it, but I don't want to limit myself.. If I'm getting a gaming rig (and I just canceled XBL >_>) then I want to make sure it can play other games besides SCII and WoW. :P
    I have yet to find a game that really hurts my 5770. The latest that I played was Black Ops. Never a hitch at maximum graphics. I'm sure there's a game out there that will bring it to its knees, but it definitely can plow through a large percentage of what's available.

[edit: That said, there's really no reason to get a 5770 over a GTX 460.]