Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Remember, this is going to be tier 11 - the number of gem slots you have to fill will be half what you have in ICC, or less.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    Remember, this is going to be tier 11 - the number of gem slots you have to fill will be half what you have in ICC, or less.
    Anyone still using the Chaotic Skyflare Diamond with the T11 set should probably get smacked in the face and upgrade it to a Cataclysm Meta instead.

Gherkin, I'm surprised you of all people would say this. Of course this matters. Chaotic Skyflare Diamond is the current Meta of choice, and we will still want its bonus active for at LEAST two weeks, plus some way into our leveling bonus. Unless you're trying to suggest we should just replace our T10 gear with T11 starting later today :P
    Last edited by Xiphias; 2010-11-23 at 05:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/52291/c...pirit-diamond/

I assume this will be updated to match the current chaotic.
    When I talk about Chaotic Diamonds, or any expansion based item with similar naming, I always refer to the latest ones.

R.I.P. YARG

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/52291/c...pirit-diamond/

I assume this will be updated to match the current chaotic.
    When I talk about Chaotic Diamonds, or any expansion based item with similar naming, I always refer to the latest ones.
    Not only did you not say you were talking about the Cataclysm Chaotic, the topic title is quite clearly about the Chaotic *Skyflare* Diamond, which is the one we are still using at 80 two weeks before Cataclsym comes out and that we are, indeed, using with ICC gear that is rife with sockets.

Now I understand it won't matter too much in a few weeks' time, but I was under the impression that people were looking at how this change affects them *now* for these next couple of weeks. So I don't think it's quite warranted to act so dismissive towards the discussion, whether a mod or no

However, all things considered, even with fewer gem slots total, in order to meet that Meta requirement, it's a particular ratio that can't be surpassed. This will affect how you gem no matter how many slots - because you'll still prefer red gems to blue for the DPS primary stat (although blue gems now bring Hit so they're not all bad). The only thing is that with fewer slots, then gemming suboptimally so you activate the Meta won't lose you a boatload if stats compared to if you have only a few slots. That makes gemming for the Meta more worthwhile, meaning more people will work to squeeze the most out of their gem colors. If we had a ton of sockets then most would just gem how they felt and use a less-strict Meta. So in fact, having less gem slots makes the topic even MORE important!
    Last edited by Xiphias; 2010-11-23 at 08:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Next 2 weeks: I don't see a problem. If you followed any of the advice posted anywhere on the internet, you were told to gem blue slots for hit, reforge for hit, and then reforge for haste and mastery. What this does is allow you to gem blue and yellow slots for hit and fiddle the remaining reds with purples as required, then have the reforging replaced with Mastery/Haste even further.

Leveling: When you get new gear, you won't gem/enchant it, and 3% crit damage is pathetically small when you're talking about 30-90k mob hp pools and watching your Crit% plummet to sub-10% values. If you're grinding instances to 85 then you might consider keeping a few extra gems handy.

Level 85: All your gear is replaced and you're down to very low amounts of hit again, forcing you to gem and reforge for it. Given an average rating of 150 Rating per piece of gear, and 1742 being the new hit cap, you will need 1742 / 150 = 12 of your 17 slots with hit on them just to meet the cap, which is extensive. T11 gear has 11 sockets x 30 = 2 slots worth of gear in hit rating, meaning you still need over half your gear to have hit on it. That's pretty substantial.

Also, I think you're reading too much into my post. I was implying that while it looks difficult now, at 85 it's much simpler due to fewer sockets. There was no dismissing, just preventative maintenance, so to speak.
    Last edited by gherkin; 2010-11-23 at 09:08 PM.

R.I.P. YARG

Perhaps. And that's true about Hit caps being much harder to reach in Cataclysm, meaning a good deal of our gems will end up being at least part blue for that +Hit. However, isn't it better to gem for Intellect and reforge other stats into Hit? For example, you could put a +10 Haste/+10 Hit gem into a prismatic socket, or +20 Intellect. Isn't it better to go for +20 Intellect (since it beats Haste normally?) and reforge some other piece to have +Hit instead of, like +Crit or +Mastery?

Then again, if you've already reforged everything to Hit and are *still* short...

15+ Year Old Account
    Always work backwards, starting with the obvious. For example, my scale factors are Hit > > Haste > Mastery > Crit (for the purposes of this example). I would gem all my blue/yellow slots +Hit or +Hit/+Haste. Then I would count my sockets and gem the remaining +Int/+Hit until I had nothing but red sockets that I ~could~ put raw Int into, and leave them empty. A quick reforge of all Crit and Mastery to Hit and Haste will tell me how much more I need, and I can gem accordingly.

By this point, if I'm still short, I go looking for downgrades/sidegrades and start sacrificing socket bonuses for dual +20 hit. If you're still short then you need to upgrade something fierce, or plan your gear better.

Note that planning your gear better doesn't apply to 80 due to the 10 --> 17% increased requirements, and is not intended as an insult :P

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    Fulfilling the Chaotic at 85 isn't going to be a problem at all. Were going to need to be gemming a fair bit of hit ( Hit/haste and int/hit gems ) to get to the cap ( 1742 )

Good news everyone. Blizzard is changing it back
    But bad news everyone, it will require a patch

I got 7 blue sockets atm so not really a problem

blizzard loves to mess with people. i feel sorry for the people that bought new metas at the inflated value ;p

15+ Year Old Account
    Dastey is right, here is the link
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1118442024

Reverted in a patch.

R.I.P. YARG