Money-making: Glyphs or Gems?

Which is a better long-term money maker? I'm guessing Gems only for this reason:

1. Any given character only needs to buy and learn a Glyph once. Once they know it, they will never buy it again

2. Any given character can buy the same gems over and over and over, so long as they have new gear to use it in

Any thoughts on this? It is cheaper overhead cost to do Glyphs rather than Gems?

The change to how glyphs are learned killed a certain amount of its money-making potential in the long-term, as did making each glyph cost 3 inks. The overhead per glyph went from about 2-4g per glyph (on my realm) to 6-12g. Still, that's a far cry from how expensive uncut gems (or the ore to prospect them) can often be.

Even with these changes, I'm still seeing fairly brisk glyph sales and I expect to continue to do so for a long while after Cataclysm, just from the sheer number of players rolling newer toons or playing long-forgotten alts.

I still think Inscription is the best money-maker, and the new items we will be able to make in the upcoming expansion will only give our money-making possibilities more variety.

Low overhead, fierce competition (which, on my realm, drive prices up instead of down, as it should), definite continued interest, and the fact that you can make items that will sell almost from the start all make it a more appealing profession to me, anyway. Plus it has good bonuses for certain classes, similar to Jewelcrafting.

That's my two cents!

Glyphs on a per sale basis will maintain a higher price due to single use.
    Gems will come down in price but will maintain a more regular market due to gear upgrades/replacements driving a need to get more.

Quote Originally Posted by azrielen View Post
    The change to how glyphs are learned killed a certain amount of its money-making potential in the long-term, as did making each glyph cost 3 inks. The overhead per glyph went from about 2-4g per glyph (on my realm) to 6-12g. Still, that's a far cry from how expensive uncut gems (or the ore to prospect them) can often be.

Even with these changes, I'm still seeing fairly brisk glyph sales and I expect to continue to do so for a long while after Cataclysm, just from the sheer number of players rolling newer toons or playing long-forgotten alts.

I still think Inscription is the best money-maker, and the new items we will be able to make in the upcoming expansion will only give our money-making possibilities more variety.

Low overhead, fierce competition (which, on my realm, drive prices up instead of down, as it should), definite continued interest, and the fact that you can make items that will sell almost from the start all make it a more appealing profession to me, anyway. Plus it has good bonuses for certain classes, similar to Jewelcrafting.

That's my two cents!
    This 100%. The only issue with selling glyphs is the competition, even with that though it's easily the best money maker.