Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Professions for cataclysm shaman

Hi, I'm looking for best professions for shammy (pvp mostly) in cata except engineering. Which profession will suit shammy well in your opinion?

Deleted
    What spec is it? If you are going resto, alchemy may be a good idea. If you want to max your stats go for jewelcrafting or enchanting. Tailoring gives you proc cloak enchants and nets for a 3 sec root, so I guess that is a pvp option too.
    Last edited by mmoc5383a6767c; 2010-11-23 at 09:51 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxicore View Post
    What spec is it? If you are going resto, alchemy may be a good idea. If you want to max your stats go for jewelcrafting.
    pretty much this, although all professions bring their benefits so i guess it all depends on what you're looking for

why not engineering ? it is after all the best and coolest profession of them all.

Deleted
    For elemental i think herbalism/inscription is not a bad choice.
    +1 Haste Cd / better sholder enchant
    but i not rly know anything about pvp

If you're gonna level Engineering anyways, why not go with Mining. It will give you +120 sta in Cata as it looks now, but hopefully this will be buffed a bit like lifeblood (now also granting +haste along with the heal) since 1,2k hp is not that much compared to 100k hp pools.

But mining will help you get fast to max Engineering, provide you mats and gold.
    If you then wanna change later, use Mining to farm all mats needed to level e.g. JC and then discard it.

Battlemaster Krystala || Flashbomba || Blitzerman
    Credit to Geekissexy for the awesome signature!

Deleted
    as always ... jewelcrafting and bs ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    as always ... jewelcrafting and bs ...
    For any caster, Engineering is significantly better than either by more than those two are better than the other professions. And that's before you take into account anything but the glove tinker. Or the fact that this is assuming we never get epic gems, which will further reduce how good JC is in comparison.

JC's two gems provide a +81 Int bonus; +27 Int per gem. The glove tinker, used every CD, provides an average of +96 Int. And then there's parachutes and bombs and nitro boots and such, which aren't always useful in a fight but when they are, are great. And customizable T11-equivalent goggles you can equip at, I think, 81.

Even if you're Enhancement, the shocker is Nature damage, and IIRC is affected by your Mastery.

Engineering absolutely blows the pants off the competition, currently. Neither JC nor BS is any kind of competition.

Deleted
    Yep, but the goggles will become quite worthless with a new tier-content.

JC/BS brings more variety and passive always-up boni ... at least as healer i'll always prefer passive stats than on-use or proc

JC/BS brings more variety and passive always-up boni ... at least as healer i'll always prefer passive stats than on-use or proc
    As a healer, you should always prefer on-use to passive or procs, especially with the way healing is in cataclysm.

Engineering is the best profession. No matter what class or spec you play. Don't even take the goggles into account--it's still the best profession in PvE and PvP.

I believe the math is currently showing that engineering is so good that it is better to have engineering by itself than any other two professions.

In PvP, parachute cloak, rocket gloves and the belt tinker(either a 20k shield or 15 seconds of invisibility) will end up meaning far more than any other profession increase--and they stack with enchants in addition to, as the parachute cloak does, providing stats. In normal BGs and World PvP, you get rocket boots, grenades and mind control cap too.

In PvE, as a melee the damage from grenades far outweighs the benefit from any other profession, and even if rocket boots is only one extra special attack, or even just an extra white attack, it ALSO outweighs any other profession bonus. Those passive bonuses are small, while those activated bonuses have the potential to be HUGE, and are easy to use well enough that they are better. As a caster or healer, positioning is everything, and it's on use 480 intellect. For tanks, rocket boots helps with picking up adds, while you can use either the shocker for an extra threat boost or the armor cooldown for an extra cooldown. You also get a 20k shield from the belt.

This is before taking into account the 359 helm that you get to choose the stats for or any of the pets or other perks like the lootarang. They haven't said they won't add more of them later, either.

I'm sorry, but 80 of a stat doesn't compare to what engineering gives you. It's not even close. If you're not engineering, your brain simply does not work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Engineering tinkering no longer provides stats, just the on use abilities now.

Quote Originally Posted by Morlin View Post
    I was still gaining spellpower from it yesterday, even though it didn't say so on the tooltip. Even if that's been fixed, it's still ridiculously ahead of every other profession in terms of usefulness.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orcheon View Post
    Even if that's been fixed, it's still ridiculously ahead of every other profession in terms of usefulness.
    Don't forget AWESOMENESS.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcheon View Post
    I was still gaining spellpower from it yesterday, even though it didn't say so on the tooltip. Even if that's been fixed, it's still ridiculously ahead of every other profession in terms of usefulness.

changing it in the patch.

i also agree with engi though, my rogue is running herb/engi and i LOVE the haste CDs, hyperspeed accelerators + lifeblood, and engi is getting even more cool stuff in the xpac im EXCITED. as far as other profs go, for a shaman, mainly in pvp, youll want engi definately, mainly for just unrated BGs since rocket boots are disabled in rated BGs, and i believe the MC cap is as well. still, the bonuses are great, especially this 20k shield i keep hearing about, and the cogs, not sure if they've changed the cogs or not. herb is great for the 20s haste buff, its a relitively small heal so i just macro it into my rotation. other profs give a mostly passive things, like BS's extra sockets, JCs dragon's eyes, alchemy's flask of the north, and their new "mount" transformation thing, plus mixology.

my honest opinion, for pvp, engi/herb for maximum burst (since we still dont know your spec as of when i post this)

I'm not sure saying herb/engineering specifically qualifies for 'maximum burst.' It highly depends on stat weights. Haste, for instance, went from being top dog for Enhancement to near dead bottom. While I do agree that Engineering is the best bet here, saying that haste procs/on-use are end all / be all is highly misinformed and generalized.

10+ Year Old Account

The goggles, I'm expecting, will get a BC-style treatment, with upgrade patterns dropping in each raid tier. If only because otherwise all the effort to make Cogwheel and Hydraulic sockets and socketables would be wasted relatively early in Cata if they don't. They haven't announced this, because they haven't announced anything past the launch stuff, really, but it makes sense.

JC doesn't provide "more variety", it provides more stats. And if you're a caster, your best stat is Intellect, which is what the Engineering tinker provides. Not to mention, as Orcheon said, on-demand boosts are better than passive stats; if you need the boost you can save it, if you don't you can macro it and it's effectively the same as the passive overall.

Not to mention, if you're Elemental, and there's a fight with movement, you've got one instant. Shocks, on a 6s cooldown. If you have to run longer than one GCD, you can re-drop totems, I guess. Or, if you're an engineer, you can chuck a bomb to fill that gap. It's not huge, but it's something, and something > nothing. You can do the same with Resto, for that matter, but you'll typically be focused on other things. Nitro boots also ensure you can minimize the running to a degree no other profession allows, for that one CD.

Engineering beats JC on stats JUST with the glove tinker, for casters. For Enhancement, given our mastery, I suspect the tazik shocker tinker is similarly amazing, since its damage type is boosted, but I'll leave that for people who've played with it.

Heck, compared JC to other professions; Enchanting can do +40 base stats to each ring. That's +80 of whatever stat is best for you, as opposed to +81 for JC, and we don't have epic gems yet, which will remove that gap and leave JC behind. Alchemy's benefit is at least +75 of a base stat, if we assume flasks get a +25% from new Mixology. Leatherworking provides +130 base stat to wrists, which is actually better than most, since there's no base stat enchants to wrists; you're replacing +50 Spirit/Expertise/Hit Rating or +65 Crit/Haste; you're up 80 points compared to a Spirit enchant, but Intellect is worth more than Spirit, kind of thing.

I wouldn't say JC is even above Leatherworking for variability and value. It has more variety, yes, but only in that you can socket lots of gems with stats you won't bother socketing because they're not valuable enough; JC itself does nothing to help you get more variety.

Blacksmithing does, because its bonus gem slots help you get meta and socket bonuses, on top of the +80 base stats for the two gems, but I'm not convinced that works out to enough bonus to catch it up to Engineering. I'd be comfortable saying either Blacksmithing or Leatherworking as your second profession, plus Engineering, will beat the pants off JC/BS for pretty much anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Morlin
    The +96 Int for Engineering is entirely due to the glove tinker, which does provide stats, since that's all it does. If I were to include the stats from other tinkers that are going away, it would be significantly higher.

The glove enchant is +480 Intellect for 12 seconds, useable once a minute. 12 seconds out of a minute is 1/5th the time, and 1/5th of 480 is 96.
    Last edited by Endus; 2010-11-23 at 07:56 PM.

Saying JC will be left behind due to epic gems being released is a bit ignorant. People had this fear with all the other professions in WotLK, but Blizzard buffed them all to be equal to BS. Nothing is going to be blatantly overlooked like you're suggesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Saying JC will be left behind due to epic gems being released is a bit ignorant. People had this fear with all the other professions in WotLK, but Blizzard buffed them all to be equal to BS. Nothing is going to be blatantly overlooked like you're suggesting.
    Even so, the point is that JC is not longer the top profession, and for most, won't even be #2 or #3. Blacksmithing is only a point behind it on straight stats, and provides significantly greater flexibility, since the two slots it provides are colorless, making metagem and socket bonuses easier to achieve. Leatherworking is going to end up better for almost everyone, since our base stats (int/agi/str) are almost always our most valuable ones. Engineering is way out in front too.

There's no reason to think JC is the "best". It's not BAD, it's entirely comparable to most crafting professions, but it's closer to Alchemy and Enchanting than it is the front-runners, if you're min/maxing.

It's not so much that JC will be left behind, as that it's already behind. Our best professions are probably either Eng/LW or Eng/BS, possibly Eng/Alc depending how Mixology works out (haven't been on the beta to test).

To those enh shaman that were in beta and know, does the new nature damage tinker become affected by our mastery?

Also, does the use of the frag belt/saronite bombs affect our swing timer?

I just switched to Eng for my enh shaman and I'm seeing a cast bar when I cast the frag belt, haven't target dummied with saronite bombs yet, but I'm not sure if I stop swinging when I use the belt, though it appears I do. Are my eyes playing tricks on me?

My shaman is Alch/LW Potions and Elixers/Then a money maker and a 76sp buff on bracers.