Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It's almost like there's a series of books and comics that portray events we have never seen in the game.

Oh, wait.

And there's more!

And then there's... Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    It's almost like there's a series of books and comics that portray events we have never seen in the game.

Oh, wait.

And there's more!

And then there's... Yeah...
    Not that I agree with the guy, but at least I read what he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alton250doa View Post
    I find it interesting that people come across so demanding and absolutely sure that what they feel "should" be done is the only possible way it "could" be done. Did we get to see all that happened between yesterday and today... no. Did you get to witness the signing of the Declaration of Independence? the dropping of the atomic bomb? Did you by any chance get to witness ALL of the most important events that took place in our real world? No? Then how do you know they happened... you learned of them from someone retelling the events in print or video. Since there is no video on the events that have taken place as part of The Shattering, your only option is to read about them. Maybe someone will someday create a video depicting the events, but for now... read about it or just accept that they happened. To demand that Blizzard "should have" given you some type of in-game depiction of the events is not only rude, but decidedly arrogant. Would it have been cool, of course! Did it happen, no. It doesn't change the fact that the events happened, and when you log in today, the results of those events will be seen. If nothing else, your curiosity should make you want to go buy the book and read about them. I don't see how any of us paying monthly for the game should entitle us to what WE think Blizzard should do. We pay to play their game... "their" game.
    Thing is though they are past events but the events happening in shattering are happening NOW and they wouldnt take shorter than 12 hours imo. well soon will be for EU, unless they do show in game cinematic i personally will be very disappointed pre cata events with these things happening hell even 1 time login event would have actually made the elemental invasion 100 times better
    Last edited by mmoc42747a85ed; 2010-11-23 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShinyOne View Post
    Not that I agree with the guy, but at least I read what he said.
    He highlights only events which occurred in the most recent book. He kind of ignores that there are lots of books, and their events are never shown in the game.

Why complain about the events of the Shattering but not the events of the comics that bring back Varian?

Or the Arthas book?

Or the manga that gives us Kalecgos and Anveena (the Sunwell incarnate)?

Deleted
    They wrote a book, as they always have, because they wanted to transcribe the events in a way they were confident of Christie Golden doing rather than as an in-game cinematic sequence. Man, I can't remember people saying "Lord of the clans sucks because it's a book, they should have completed the adventure game or made it a warcraft 2 expansion instead - or hey, make it a free downloadable campaign, I've already paid for this game." Have we really become so spoiled? If you want the story, buy it and read it.

For the record, however, I do admit there could have been a lot more to the immersion prior to the shattering occuring. For example, the elemental invasion could have had some more atmospheric stuff added to it like the rebuilding of Orgrimmar getting started (think scaffoldings and peons wandering around with tools and materials) - a world might be able to change over a day, but a city surely can't.

I feel really sick when I hear kids today bitch about things in a book. That they have no desire to read literature, even when it involves things they like.

He highlights only events which occurred in the most recent book. He kind of ignores that there are lots of books, and their events are never shown in the game.

Why complain about the events of the Shattering but not the events of the comics that bring back Varian?

Or the Arthas book?

Or the manga that gives us Kalecgos and Anveena (the Sunwell incarnate)?
    He acknowledges the existences of the books, but wants the events that happen in the books to also happen in-game. These are expansion-related events, and there are several of them that seem to just 'change' in game, which is probably why he decided to only mention those, or perhaps a list would have been redundant. Smarmily telling him that there are books that explain the missing events when his whole post was about wanting the events in the books to also be seen in-game is unecessary and useless.
    At any rate, I'm sure these events will have quests surrounding them in-game that will show or acknowledge most of them anyway.
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.

I agree 100%, Blizzard really dropped the ball on pre-Cata events. They could have done the whole Duel/TB uprising/Carine Funeral instead of the lame Elemental invasion.

At the least, it'd be nice to have an NPC game that explains everything in an (in game) cinematic.

These are expansion-related events, and there are several of them that seem to just 'change' in game,
    Just like the ones I just listed.

Varian was missing in two whole expansions and then BAM he's back and the only thing to explain how and why is the comics.

The entire situation surrounding the Sunwell raid is a complete mystery to anyone who didn't read the comics about it.

What was happening with Arthas between the events of The Frozen Throne and Wrath of The Lich King is barely touched upon in the game while there is a novel that goes to great detail what was happening with him then as well as before he ever appeared in any games.

which is probably why he decided to only mention those
    Are we theory crafting the motives of the OP? I can play that game too!

The OP probably doesn't care for most of the actual lore but is wrapped up in a handful of characters. He ignores the wealth of lore abundant in the game both before and after the events he is complaining about and focuses just what he cares about. He also ignores the fact that this is the third time this has happened, seeing as how this is the third expansion and both of the other ones had supplemental material.

He also has this delusion of not getting what he paid for. If he really believes that then he should probably stop paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1519 View Post
    The time span between Yesterday and Today is actually 3 years, but blizz would not take that long to release the expansion so they just said "Read the book it explains what happened that we cannot do" So sorry, just go read the book.
    Holy shit. 3 years? Damn i thought it was like a month or a year but 3? That was one hell of a nap I took.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    I agree I hate this mentality that all important stuff is to be written in a book.
    In game lore in WoW is rather lacking in general, especialyl compared to some other MMO's. Books shouldn't be required add-ons to determine what's really going on.

Quote Originally Posted by italia90 View Post
    Ive not read the shattering but from what ive heard its in there where all the main thing happen.
    BULLSHIT (Pun) I wanna go to TB and see a epic fight, I Wanna see Magni turn hard (Other pun) I dont want to read about it.
    http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=puns
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Yet somehow it didn't stop millions from enjoying the game....
    I read the books and comics. Though quality is an issue with some of them, I have no problem with supplemental material being required to get the full story on WoW.

A LOT is going on. Not all of it can be in the game.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Burningphoenix View Post
    Holy shit. 3 years? Damn i thought it was like a month or a year but 3? That was one hell of a nap I took.
    It's not really 3 years between the pre-patch day and the post-patch day. To be entirely precise, Cataclysm is 5 years after Vanilla. Now since the start of Wrath was about 2 years after Vanilla, yeah Cataclysm is 3 years after the *start* of Wrath. I'd imagine we spent about..a year, give or take a little, in Northrend, so it's still a 2 year nap I suppose

On topic: Just because we don't see the duel with our own eyes doesn't mean it's not referenced. There's bound to be mentions of it in quest text, NPC chatter or whatever else. It's not like the entire world was on the scene of 9/11 either, we heard it through the news. Now obviously WoW doesn't have a TV channel so instead of seeing amateur recordings of the duel, we'll hear it from other people.
    Last edited by Cattleya; 2010-11-23 at 05:49 PM.

Are we theory crafting the motiv
    Are we still only reading select parts of a post? I can do that too. I'm done with you.
    Last edited by TheShinyOne; 2010-11-24 at 01:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed, I wish they'd at least throw a big statue at us with a cinematic linked in the plaque!

15+ Year Old Account
    Here my macro..../target garrosh /spit :O
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Tooth View Post
    A LOT of stuff has suddenly happened without us seeing it.
    The battle for the Southern barrens and Stonetalon. The reconstruction of Orgrimmar. The building of the Shimmering Flats Speed Barge. Various repairs and construction sites across Azeroth as new forts and bases are established over night. Azshara gets terraformed, and a new "city" is built there.
    Not to mention the actual Cataclysm. The idea is that, like, a year or two has passed during the shutdown.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by italia90 View Post
    Dunno if there is a thread already but meh.

First of all i pay £9 a month for this game not in a book. I wanna see cool thing accually happen.

Tommorrow when we log in Cairnes dead, Bronzebeard a rock, the worlds ended, garrosh is leader of the horde, goblins and worgen are now in the factions.

Shit what did I sleep through.

Ive not read the shattering but from what ive heard its in there where all the main thing happen.
    BULLSHIT (Pun) I wanna go to TB and see a epic fight, I Wanna see Magni turn hard (Other pun) I dont want to read about it.

This game you should experience it, have a day where all this happens, lose the Elements show us a mega duel.

However if any of this is going on and ive somehow missed it please, please tell me, i wanna see it!!!
    Go...read...the...Shattering.

Are we still only reading select parts of a post? I can do that too. I'm done with you.
    Why yes, my kettle is fairly black. Nice black pot you've got there.