Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    oh i c.. this is a guide for pve... cause thats hard... ok -_-

I think what TC is saying by "Wrath" players is not that people who started in wrath aren't as good or as knowledgeable as those who started earlier, but rather that the experience of WotLK, for all players, has been for the most part a breeding ground for bad habits. So, if someone played vanilla and TBC, stopped playing for WotLK, and then returned for Cata, a lot of these bad habits are not as strong in them.

I can personally attest to WotLK's lax in need for CC. As a Hunter I can't remember being required by my 5-man or raid to ever freeze a guy. And when I did, because I felt it was needed, the tank usually broke it. If what is being said is true, a lot of these new 5-man heroics are going to bring back the intricate encounters that are more than tank 'n' spank, and require specific class roles.

anyone that isnt already doing all this stuff is a baddie

good ol stuff sticky!
    Time waits for no one.
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    You could have called the title "What new players need to know.." or "What people need to know.." just saying wrath players make you seem like you are better than everyone. Everyone that played Wrath learned "bad" habits regardless if you played vanilla or not. You don't think people will adapt and learn thier roles after playing Cata after a couple weeks? I just can't stand that you think you are better than every person that has played wow beyond vanilla. But I will say that there are some good tips regardless if they are common sense or not.

Nice post especially about tanks.

ITT: Common sense. Sadly it's so rare nowadays that it's a goddamn superpower (insert motivational here).

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for this post. I am SO looking forward to the old days of crowd control and putting effort into dungeons, instead of this AOE fest we've been spoiled with during WoTLK.

Bring - It - On!

Who are you? And who do you think you are to make a guild on 'how to not suck'?

What you've wasted typing here can be summed up in a few short words:

"Don't be a bad"

Classes don't have 1000000000000000 abilities that remain a mystery to all but a few. How and when to use them is pretty straight-forward. You will never be able to teach someone to adapt if they already can't.

Awe inspiring. Loved the post. Hope it's stickied.
    Summon Apollo's fire, with hell and heaven's might. Then with great force attend, the falling of all men.
    Release this captured world, from point of no return. Destruction has no end, unless you ride again.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Let's hope that the dps will be aware of these situations and CC/interrupt mobs instead of only worrying about putting out the most damage possible.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Great guide. But what is new about it. I thought this was basic thins every player knew about?

15+ Year Old Account
    I have to say, fantastic read. I personally came in part-way through BC but I know exactly what your talking about in many of those suggestions. CC will be a much higher priority than it was in Wrath. Almost back to how CC was in BC (Shattered Halls' anyone? *groan*). Luckly, most of your tanking suggestions I still use today in Wrath, including marking and range pulling. As an example, I prefer range pulling several of the mobs in the ICC dungeons instead of barreling ahead unless I am only pulling one mob. I personally have to deal with the healing changes on my priest but I should hopefully get used to the new triage mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Great guide. But what is new about it. I thought this was basic thins every player knew about?
    Unfortunately a LOT of players have grown accustomed to the "Zerg" mentality in Wrath dungeons and raids. many have either stopped using CC unless absolutely required, or came in in the later half of the expansion and never learned these skills.

Excellent post with interesting, and useful information for the uninformed.

Too bad the demographic it's geared towards (Kids, Retards, and Butterfly-Chasers), will likely not find or read it because:
    A. Those general undesirables do not lurk, or post, on forums related to WoW (that are generally used for player improvement or info) because they think they're doing fine.
    B. They can't read, or understand half the words in your post
    C. They can't concentrate long enough to read your well written, and legitimately informed post.

Basically, you could stop after you were done with the DPS category. Everybody (Well, most, like I said, retards, y'know?) knows general intelligence goes like this *most of the time*

Healer (Smartest)
    ^
    Tank (Smarter)
    ^
    DPS (Retard. *intelligence varies greatly from Class to Class/Spec to Spec*)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldjman View Post
    Warriors viable in multiple comps? lolno. Any high rated warrior falls under the following;
    1) wintraded.
    2) very high mmr at the start of the season, so they fought their way to glad at 5 am vs 2k teams.
    3) has their connections from previous seasons carry their class.
    Also, we most certainly weren't the most op in S9. Dk's were a better warrior in every aspect. Thanks for trying though.

Well all I know now is that I gotta relearn patience for my frost DK...so many pulls from those double howling blasts...
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

10 and 25 man SHARE LOCKOUT. Ive lost the count on how many of my ICC25-groups just fell apart because people was saved in ICC10.

Well posted

I agree with many others that posted so far. This is a great thread for all of us. I know I try to be the best, but I'm hoping that having a glimpse of what to be ready for in Cata will give me personally an idea of what to watch out for. Glad to hear that the content is going to be relatively difficult. It should be very helpful for all of us and I hope more read it .

Amazing post, we need more helpful posts like this.

/salute
    I <3 JK Rowling.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    I have one argument. You advocate the use of roots/snares if a DPS pulls aggro. But if a mob gets rooted next to a healer, that mob will turn and kill the healer no matter who has aggro on it. It will also do this to another DPS. So if you are going to root/snare, do so away from your teammates.
    Other dps and healers should be smart enough to get away from a mob that is close by without any aggro from the tank, and would be even wiser to position themselves in a way that it has to run near the tank to get to him or her. The tank should then be able to taunt that mob and regain control of it.