Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

DW Unholy = Optimal?

Consider updated the Unholy DPS thread on EJ today and one thing that interests me is the news that DW Unholy is the most optimal build for level 85. Pulling ahead of 2H by around 5/8%.
    Did anyone try this out on the Beta prior to it going offline? I've always used 2 handers for Unholy and I don't fancy rolling against Frost DK's for weapons in Cataclysm dungeons/raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkguyver2020 View Post
    Consider updated the Unholy DPS thread on EJ today and one thing that interests me is the news that DW Unholy is the most optimal build for level 85. Pulling ahead of 2H by around 5/8%.
    Did anyone try this out on the Beta prior to it going offline? I've always used 2 handers for Unholy and I don't fancy rolling against Frost DK's for weapons in Cataclysm dungeons/raids.
    It will be nerfed, just like it was nerfed in 3.3 and just like they said it will be nerfed.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Yea I wouldn't get used to it, if I have the time I will dig for the blue post that specifically said that if DW ended up pulling ahead over 2h that they would make some adjustments.

Just remove the stupid DW talent from the first tier of frost and you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone....no more blood tanks who decide they can DW and no more broken UH builds.

EDIT: Even though removing that talent wont totally fix UH DWing builds because its specifically centered around the fact DW provides more sudden doom procs with the haste levels come 85
    Last edited by Alexiaa; 2010-11-23 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexiaa View Post
    Yea I wouldn't get used to it, if I have the time I will dig for the blue post that specifically said that if DW ended up pulling ahead over 2h that they would make some adjustments.

Just remove the stupid DW talent from the first tier of frost and you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone....no more blood tanks who decide they can DW and no more broken UH builds.

EDIT: Even though removing that talent wont totally fix UH DWing builds because its specifically centered around the fact DW provides more sudden doom procs with the haste levels come 85
    Sudden Doom as a PPM would wreck DW unholy.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Consider prefers to go by "Tits" (nickname given to his former main Aristotle). Don't believe anybody who says he doesn't, it's even in his guild note.

If this is true it would make me very happy. DW unholy was my favorite spec back when WOTLK first was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabstar View Post
    If this is true it would make me very happy. DW unholy was my favorite spec back when WOTLK first was released.
    Like I said, it's going to die a brutal death. Don't get too excited. They absolutely don't want DW to be the optimal setup for both trees.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    Like I said, it's going to die a brutal death. Don't get too excited. They absolutely don't want DW to be the optimal setup for both trees.
    Not to mention there are people who flat out prefer to use two handed weapons. Myself included.

Not to mention there are people who flat out prefer to use two handed weapons. Myself included.
    BOOM right there.

I'm the same, and if I wanted to DW, I could play one of the many other classes that DW.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    I'm the same, and if I wanted to DW, I could play one of the many other classes that DW.
    ditto, tried out DWFrost and while it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, it just wasnt the right feel/look for me

Personally I dislike DW unholy as we have frost for that. The problem is that I am worried blizzard will decide to nerf it without permanently killing it. They could easily kill it by changing our mastery to something that scourge strike benefits from. I hope they do but if not then this issue may keep rearing its head.

Deleted
    I too would be surprised if this stayed for very long too, just move Nerves of Cold Steel down the frost tree to stop anything other than frost using the talent, would be the quickest fix.

Make Dual Wield a Frost passive. It's incredibly stupid they haven't done this yet, since it was done for Enhance and Fury.

[11:50:45] Earthmender Duarn says: Shamanistic healing is a complex art. You can't just chain heal all day.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's just like the Searing Pain Warlock build that floated around for a while, but without the threat problems.

It'll end the same way, too.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Nothing else needs to be said.

Am I the only one that finds it quite ironic that they always try to adjust frost to DW and UH always ends up to be the DW without anyone intending it to be , just because the nature of the tree, that is based more around white damage, spells minions and magical damage, and much less about strikes.

At the end of the day, the might just have boosted Frost strikes damage, and change SS to be AP based rather then weapon damage based, and just make UH the DW tree and Frost the 2H tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsey View Post
    Am I the only one that finds it quite ironic that they always try to adjust frost to DW and UH always ends up to be the DW without anyone intending it to be , just because the nature of the tree, that is based more around white damage, spells minions and magical damage, and much less about strikes.

At the end of the day, the might just have boosted Frost strikes damage, and change SS to be AP based rather then weapon damage based, and just make UH the DW tree and Frost the 2H tree.
    The issue right now is SOLELY due to Sudden Doom.

If I may be permitted to rage for a bit, I hope this dies the worst possible death, and they sprinkle salt on its corpse and hang garlic around its neck. I rolled a DK to use a 2h, not to be an Enhancement Shaman.
    Last edited by Deathquoi; 2010-11-24 at 01:32 AM.
    Beta Club Brosquad

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foibles View Post
    Make Dual Wield a Frost passive. It's incredibly stupid they haven't done this yet, since it was done for Enhance and Fury.
    I have to agree with this. If they really don't want Unholy to Dual Wield, just don't let them. Problem solved. I really hope this happens sooner rather than later, as I really don't want to play Dual Wield Unholy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it viable right now at 80?