Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Fear Nerf in 4.03a

"Effects which are broken from taking too much damage (Fear, Frost Nova, Entangling Roots, etc.) now break automatically from about half as much damage taken as before."
    Source: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1...ing-of-azeroth

Ok, so fear will now just about break instantly. Almost useless spell is now Totally useless :-/ Anybody else got that feeling or just me with the new cast time and ... this?

Hm, don't see your point. Don't polymorph break instantly on dmg? So with the glyph fear becomes a very nice CC that will get us in groups?

Might not be as effective in pvp but oh well, I don't play that game. :-)

15+ Year Old Account
    I tried to post a moment ago, damn server loads.

It's not a nerf, its a readjustment. Fear is currently based on the target's hp (base hp i believe). HP is going up substantially, but dps is not. Therefore this means that at level 85 you will be able to fear someone for 2-3x as long while nuking the crap out of them before it broke. This is not intended and is another problem created by adjusting health pools so dramatically.

Basically, your fear + damage at 85 will last exactly as long as it did in WOTLK.

R.I.P. YARG

^^
    Not long enough

amirite?

sometimes i use fear, then be like
    "what did I just we my gcd on"

All this means is, apply your dots nearer to the end of fear = win.

Quote Originally Posted by boazjuggalo View Post
    Hm, don't see your point.

Might not be as effective in pvp but oh well, I don't play that game.
    thanks for clarifying WHY you do not see his point.

Fear break is a bit worse than the Mage breaks because mages have multiple root effects. Priests have shield. Warlocks have, well fear. Fear should of been a Warlock only ability. They gave it to too many classes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glnger View Post
    ^^
    Not long enough

amirite?
    /sadface

R.I.P. YARG

10+ Year Old Account
    thank god it doesnt get nerfed, it breaks easily enough anyway :'(
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

And fear didn't break easily before? Even as affl, my fear would break in about 5 seconds. Fear has been CC only ability since 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Turdston View Post

Fear break is a bit worse than the Mage breaks because mages have multiple root effects. Priests have shield. Warlocks have, well fear. Fear should of been a Warlock only ability. They gave it to too many classes.
    Tell that to warriors that ones had monopoly on MS

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fear will still be as effective in PvP as it is now, the main use of fear is to incapacitate healers and peel dps, it has never let you drop a decently geared player from 100% to 0% in one fear.

The nerf to fear isn't as big as everyone is whining about... as stated earlier it's being balanced around 85 and fyi you're not supposed to be able to fear and then destroy someone in the duration of the fear... it's not like they took away the famous fear spam win right?

Deleted
    I don't trust the balanced for 85 knowing what 'state' warlocks were in at the beginning of wotlk where the exact same thing was said. And to the guy who said his fear could last 5 seconds.. that's amazing. It breaks with my first dot tick already. But I guess that also means 50% nerf is not really a nerf. Since it will still break on the first tick.

You can't drop a player from 100% to 80% in one fear - in its current, pre-nerf state either. It really breaks that fast.With a 2 second cast time... i'll just put the hotkey on alt-f4 since there's no point then xD

(Thanks for the explanation of the reasoning behind the change, although I have zero trust in any kind of balance whatsoever at 85)
    Last edited by mmoc7e7f5dec46; 2010-11-24 at 12:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    well , shouldn't fear be used as a valuable silence or for a chance to regain control over a fight? i personally didnt think that running away for 9 seconds was in any way shape or form necesary. It gives these insane cc classes a chance to refresh cd's more often and therefor eventually overthrow you in a long lasting duel

And warlocks can shield with their blueberry, or seduce with their succubus, I fail to find where there is an imbalance here.
    Last edited by Baurge; 2010-11-24 at 12:16 AM.

mages also have absorption shield

Quote Originally Posted by Gnerd View Post
    "Effects which are broken from taking too much damage (Fear, Frost Nova, Entangling Roots, etc.) now break automatically from about half as much damage taken as before."
    Source: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1...ing-of-azeroth

Ok, so fear will now just about break instantly. Almost useless spell is now Totally useless :-/ Anybody else got that feeling or just me with the new cast time and ... this?
    Once again. I don't understand why this is such a surprise to everyone this patch was released on beta almost a month ago. Same thing with the damage reduction. Its just balance, warlocks were OP on beta before it closed. Nothing has changed.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...d&cn=Brickslol
    Hopefully Glad Season 9!!! RLS WOO!!!

p.s. 2s and 5s take little to no skill, just good pve gear

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventhsoul View Post
    ever fought a rogue and survived? try it without fear. oh wait hahahahahaha[COLOR="red"]

yes i have, and i can do it without fear... quite easy, even easier as demo jsut use hellfire to find them, (fel armour heals more than hellfire damages) so you can do it all day if you want
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    Honestly though I'd be amazed if the xpac took that long, even taking Blizzard's soon(tm) into consideration. If it doesn't come out before October it means there are some serious issues behind the scenes and it's time to abandon ship like an Italian cruiseliner captain.

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    I tried to post a moment ago, damn server loads.

It's not a nerf, its a readjustment. Fear is currently based on the target's hp (base hp i believe). HP is going up substantially, but dps is not. Therefore this means that at level 85 you will be able to fear someone for 2-3x as long while nuking the crap out of them before it broke. This is not intended and is another problem created by adjusting health pools so dramatically.

Basically, your fear + damage at 85 will last exactly as long as it did in WOTLK.
    I'm not too sure about this..

It says it will break from half the damage, not half the %hp. So if it breaks after 10% hp now, about 3k hp, it will break from half of that dmg after the nerf, about 1500.

And base hp isn't going up that much in cata right? Its the gear that will give us crazy hp.
    Last edited by 5648945621; 2010-11-24 at 11:25 AM.