Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by methical View Post
    Players have all the right to complain about a minute delay, because its blizz's own fault, if they didnt say it was a bloody "switch" to flip off, maybe people would have been more normal about it if blizzard didnt make promises they cant keep.
    some of what you say is true specially for people new to wow, they dont know the blizzard terms like, "soon", "when is ready", etc... and "servers up at 11am" means " any time during the evening" during big patch days, not saying is right just that maybe blizzard needs to be less optimistic whit time issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, this is the SHATTERING? I could have sworn it was the SHATNERING! That would have explained why it's taking so long.
    http://fredplz.wordpress.com/ - Thoughts of an obsessive Resto Shaman

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    While I do agree with what you're saying Blizz can't expect every issue they might have during a content patch. While we the players can(and should) expect some extended maintenance during a major patch application.

I don't have the same experience Blizz has with large software patch application or large scale server farms but having worked as a Dell Support Agent and having built numerous amounts of PC's there's always one or two issues that creep up and the solution isn't always the most obvious one.
    Funny you mention you worked for Dell. I used to be a server support agent. And I can 100% tell you that the little hiccups that crop up are due to negligence. Even building a regular desktop PC should be smooth and flawless when done properly (unless it's faulty hardware). The reason for hiccups is due to the individual not doing something properly eg: not ordering proper compatible parts, not using good thermal paste, assembling in a dirty environment etc...

I'm not upset about the delay, I knew it was going to happen. It happens almost every Tue. when there's a patch. But what they're doing right now is a simple migration of data, or at least that should be all they're doing. They should have already tested the server loads on a test database/server, they should already have an exact copy of the shattering (live) on a test server that is working. All they need to do is copy it over.

The funny thins is... Servers are going to be going down constantly or be laggy as hell for a few days. That type of thing is normal though and understandable because even with stress testing, it doesn't compare to real world testing. But that in no way excuses them for such a long delay. Especially when they knew exactly when it was going to happen and how large the amount of data being converted is.
    Last edited by AresOnasis; 2010-11-23 at 09:17 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    No suprise at all, why don't you just play till the server goes down and sleep untill it comes up, problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by AresOnasis View Post
    Funny you use that excuse that people should have seen it coming... Where is Blizzard's responsibility to see it coming and be able to properly apply a patch for once and not have it delayed?

Does Blizzard not have test servers setup to where they test the migration of new content and then apply it to live ones? That's how all proper databases are implemented. It's retarded to not expect Blizzard (with all of their resources) to be able to upload a new patch within the 7 hours they normally allot to it.
    funny how 4.0's patch ran smoothly and was brought to us on time. I also find it funny how you most likely don't know a single thing about what goes into making a patch like this implemented on live servers.

A couple of people have sorta touched on it over this thread.. You look at some of the PAST patches that came up, but were BUGGED to high hell, they came up in time, but were unplayable. Almost every other patch that has been delayed, was delayed yes, but was almost completely fine once it was up. That could be one reason.

Someone else touched on that dont they have test servers, etc to test this on before. Yes, they would. But no matter how identical things are, there are things that pop up when you try to applying on another. You could try the same update process across 4 servers, with identical hardware and info on them, and each can potentialy act completely different, and take a different amount of time to apply, etc.

Lastly, if you look at the blizz ToS.. Technicaly in the end.. they dont owe anyone anything. You pay blizz for the opportunity to play their game on their servers. They do not guarantee that the game will even work at all or amount of uptime. If you dont like it, feel free to stop paying them and dont play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivenn View Post
    us servers are just a guinea pig for eu servers.

they do all the tests on us servers when patch day comes so eu server don't need to have extended maintenance :S
    Just as stupid as EU players saying US get things a day earlier because blizz hates EU

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryck69 View Post
    the only people who have any right to QQ are those with only a few hours to live and decided to spend their last remaining moments on w.o.w.
    those people QQ all you want I understand and drink this shot for you and we shall dine in hell together when it is my time.....
    the rest of the people QQ, stfu before I put something in your mouth
    How do you know how long will YOU live? Maybe you will go out to get some beers, while waiting for the patch and get hit by a bus and DIE before you even get a chance to see the new wow world?

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't bother me , A) I expected it, and B) I can wait, i like the prospect of being blown away when we do log in :P The delay only adds to the anticipation lol

At least they aren't saying we'll be done in an hour and then instantly extending the maintenance for another hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wilzax View Post
    funny how 4.0's patch ran smoothly and was brought to us on time.
    You must be playing a different game then the rest of us. For those of us playing World of Warcraft, 4.0 was a massive pile of bugs and crashes that took weeks to resolve.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy View Post
    but the QQing about the downtime isn't going to make Blizz get it up faster.
    LoL, so Blizz is having trouble getting it UP i hear...

10+ Year Old Account
    4.0.3 was applied and live early, and nobody would have a problem if Blizzard hadn't spoken to us as if 4.0.3a was going to be comparably seamless.

Simple fix: Admit that maintenance for today's monumental patch may take much longer than expected and it's not worth waiting around for servers to be live because, let's be real, it's going to be a while.

Furthermore, next to none of you saying "none of you idiots knows what it takes to apply patches and perform maintenance" know what it actually takes, either. You can climb up their butt all you want, you're still waiting for the real pros to finish up like the rest of us.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy View Post
    make Blizz get it up faster.
    am i the only one who laughed at this?
    sorry long day of classes and waiting for patch on no sleep lol

Edit: solarlunar beat me to it!! damnit!!!
    Last edited by Clethius; 2010-11-23 at 09:21 PM. Reason: SOLARLUNAR... ARGHHH

IMO blizzard needs a "Rosetta Stone" for their terminology so we can further understand their messages about patching.
    [img]http://i54.tinypic.com/5190k3.jpg[/]
    -In The Cut Rollin Doobies Up-

For every big patch, Blizz should just make the expected time anywhere between 12 and 9 PST, and just get it up when they can. No one can complain if they state it from the beginning.

Deleted
    its always funny to see people saying stuff like "world is being completely changed, of course it takes million hours!!!" it doesn't work like that,
    big patch doesn't always mean that much work if its done well.

But about update. Some people plan their things and when blizzard says "We are ready at xx:xx and you can start playing." No wonder some people get angry when there is 2+hours delay. Not everyone can play 24/7.

I don't expect anything to work tommorow until 21:00 paris time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBert View Post
    Ah, the simple "Stop QQing"

First thing is first, we already had the patch, this is just a revision to modify our game clients. So there is no "big patch incoming" or something like that thats new. In fact if you DL'd something today, it was no greater than 20mb. Just a simple revision.
    i agree whit you on most of you comment except this part i quoted . the reason been there is a big patch incoming for the servers, yes the client side stuff is already there but more than likely the problems and delays are server related.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I'm looking forward to is when everyone logs in at once and is in the same few graveyards.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Did anybody wish WoW a happy Birthday, and congratulate ( /grats) them on the great time so far? Turning 6 is like turning 16, you managed to make it this far why not go all the way. (Til' Death do us part)

All people think about is what they want at the time...

Me: Stupid Humans.
    Me: Glad I'm not one. Isn't that right Algalon?
    Algalon: No, you are... out of time.
    Me: What?
    Algalon: Loss of life, unavoidable.
    Me: What's that supposed to mean?
    Algalon: I have seen worlds bathed in the Makers' flames.
    Me: That's amazingly unnerving.
    Algalon: I do what I must.
    Me: Liar!