Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    Even if you include the possibility of getting every socket bonus? (If the link clarifies this, sorry for not reading it.)
    Anyway, even if they don't buff it and it's currently not the best thing to have for you, I'm sure eventually it'll be the best again, if not in t12 then in t13, as crit ratings will continue to go higher, making the 3% crit damage more valuable, and so on.
    I sincerely hope you are right. But as I said, I'm just a bit upset about it. I love the game and changes are bound to happen, HEY it's a MMO right. Just have to swollow it and accept

15+ Year Old Account
    What everyone griping about this change is seeming to forget is that this change was made for max level. Not the current max level, the future max level.

This will probably aid you in your DPS as you gem hit and reforge something else, as you can always be hit capped and gain even more of a secondary stat. Mastery seems to be a very popular choice, and in many DPS specs isn't really that far off from your primary stat in terms of DPS gain.

That also being said, you forget that while you may gain more of a primary stat using a different meta, you're losing 3% of all of your critical damage right off the bat. So you are likely hitting harder on your base attacks and hitting less on your critical attacks. This would, in the end, turn into a DPS loss depending on how often you crit. Not to mention that with this change, you can even gear less hit and gear for other stats instead (meaning you can gain your cap by gemming and get more pieces with mastery/haste, mastery/crit, ect, thus needing fewer +hit pieces of armor and weaponry).

Just because they said they want to make most things more straightforward does not mean the entire game is going to think for you. Most of the theorycrafting stuff is being made more streamlined because of fewer stats to worry about. That doesn't mean you still won't have to weigh those stats that still exist. This is the same reason armor penetration was removed. They want no more "red or nothing primary or gtfo" situations for DPS min/maxing. Period. End of story.

If you don't like it, or don't want to follow with it, hey. You're entitled to that decision. I personally think it's a good change.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    You mean that you won't mindlessly gem your #1 stat any more and actually have to think about gemming?
    How does this increase the amount of thinking one has to do? You'll gem just as mindlessly, only with different gems, and you'll need to be able to count with your fingers.

use the haste meta

Myrddin,Stormforged, EU-Ravencrest
    Website: mmo-game.eu,YouTube: myrddinde, Twitter: @MyrddinDE

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    If you don't like it, or don't want to follow with it, hey. You're entitled to that decision. I personally think it's a good change.
    It's not so much if I don't like it. The thing is, that all math and theorycrafting shows, for my class, that this meta gem is a dps lose no matter how I gem or reforge and yes, this appley to lv 85 also. May I again refere to the link I posted earlier.
    http://considerit1.wordpress.com/201...-confirmation/

An to the people afraid of clicking links here is a quote:

Ever since they changed the requirements of Chaotic Shadowspirit Diamond a couple beta builds ago, there’s been a lot of debate among the various dps specs/classes as to whether it’s worth bothering to use. In particular, I saw that Hamlet and Binkenstein (moonkin and elemental shaman geniuses, respectively) recently declared the meta – red gem sacrifices and all – to be worth using for their own classes.

To clear up the matter for Death Knights:

* Unholy will never use it, unless your gear set up somehow has less than ~5 gem sockets total, assuming a random distribution of colors/bonuses. Even in an unrealistic set-up with nothing but a dozen blue sockets, unless at least half of those blue sockets give a strength bonus, you still wouldn’t bother with CSD! Questing or raiding gear, Chaotic is out.
    * Frost DW and Frost 2H won’t use it, unless their gear has less than ~9 gem sockets total, assuming a random distribution of colors/bonuses. Basically, you’ll use it when you first hit 85, but ditch it once the majority of your gear is from heroics (or better).

That’s all.

Needless to say I play Unholy.
    Last edited by Belial; 2010-11-24 at 02:12 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    For most of us that are ICC geared (atleast me) I am already over the Hit Cap even when I have reforged most of my Hit Rating to something else. This change will just bring me more over the Hit Cap, though I will probably gem Stam/Crit in that case or something like that. However in Cataclysm I will probably ignore this Meta and take the one that gives Mastery/RunSpeed so I can use a DPS enchant on boots instead of the RunSpeed one ;P

I'm waiting for the theorycrafting on just ignoring your meta :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
    I'm waiting for the theorycrafting on just ignoring your meta :-)
    http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t105521-...aclysm_say_so/

Look at the Gemming and Enchanting section. It's not that I should not use a meta gem at all. I just have to use another one.
    Last edited by Belial; 2010-11-24 at 02:25 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    As a two-handed melee DPSer, sure, I could see this change being bad. For you. Since you need only 8% hit.

You're one DPS class out of ten. The change for you might be bad. However, as your own link states, it is better for others. Most especially casters.

Considering that the number of caster DPS classes is five, the change is good. Also, considering how much hit rogues and enhancement shamans require for full capping, the agility gem change is also good.

However, the OP is a caster. The change is good for him. He and many others who still have not come to the realization that this meta is still their best in slot, blue gems and all, are still crying about the change for one reason. They can't gem straight int anymore. That's essentially my point. It's a good gem. It's not "omg wtf useless crap". Sure, it's not great for DKs, ret pallies, and arms warriors. So what? That's what, four total specs out of 30? Subtracting healer and tanking specs, that's four specs out of twenty-one. 19% of all DPS specs.

If it actually IS bad for you, then fine. It's bad. Don't use it. However, for that other what, 81% of DPS specs that it's still probably tops for (I'm going to presume this is not so great for hunters or feral druids, but with no desire to check I will simply leave them as probables) that are still crying about it...stop whining. That's all there is to it.

The reason I think it's a good change? I play a caster. It's great for me. I can gear less spirit and hit and gear/reforge more haste, crit, or mastery. I can actually make a much better combination of stats to improve my DPS than just stack int and GG. I like that.

The primary point is, the gem is not useless.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

As a two-handed melee DPSer, sure, I could see this change being bad. For you. Since you need only 8% hit.

You're one DPS class out of ten. The change for you might be bad. However, as your own link states, it is better for others. Most especially casters.
    What about other specs that need only 8% hit? There's more than one. Many more than one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just saw this on the Blue Tracker. Guess everyone can calm down now. :P

Originally Posted by http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/136970/dps-meta-gem-changechange-it-back
    The current design has been reconsidered, so we're planning to revert gems that now require more blue than red gems back to their original requirements. Such a change can't be accomplished via a hotfix though, so we'll have to wait to revert these in a future patch.

I think for a lot of classes it will be very subjective. As a caster, the meta appreciates as my crit rises, but if I'm reforging then I'm basically chucking spellpower for haste or mastery. The more spellpower I have the less as a % of my damage it will increase. If I'm not over hit cap and am not reforging out of hit then the meta is a no brainer. However bascally it becomes a case of whether 3% bigger crits and that mastery/haste is outweighed by the spellpower loss. The more hit I am over cap, the lower my crit or the less spellpower I have the worse the meta looks, which means that there's actually two contradictory effects as gear rises. Of course you then have to weigh in that the mastery/run speed gem isn't exactly useless either.

This basically poses a question only itemisation can answer. Which is interesting as blizzard said they wanted to skip maths but have made the meta a very subjective question. If the amount of hit required rises with our gear, and hit capping needs those blues, we're home and dry. If we end up swimming in hit, we may jettison our metas, unless our crit ratings end up higher. Well, gives me some numbers to work with.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by underdogba View Post
    This might not be a popular opinion at all, but IMO this meta setup is better, because it makes us gem in a direction that takes secondary stats seriously, instead of just a trivial exercise in stuffing your primary stat everywhere and doing the bare minimum just to activate the meta.
    so im supposed to gem stam? because for choice its lacking..
    losing dps to get a bonus is probably not worth a crap!

The only thing i could gem for is hit and prefer reforging stuff and its better point wise.

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  Tremble at the might of the LICH KITTY!!!
     l、 ~ヽ  . 
     じしl_, )ノ

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyDante View Post
    yay thanks ^^

Deleted
    In a future patch though

Why would one care for meta gems at a time like this. It is two weeks untill cata release when meta gems no longer matter untill the new end game content.

Deleted
    I agree but just because you don't care it doesn't mean everybody else shares your opinion

Well we'll see another patch before people are raiding, so it really is a moot point anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, you mean you've been playing this game at least one entire expansion and did not realize that a gem that counts as two colors counts as two colors?

We know what group of players you'll fall under when the real action starts in Cataclysm.

By the way, that's not a change. Split gems have always counted as both colors. It has even, forever, said "counts as both a red gem AND a blue gem".

Reading. It's fundamental.
    damn right, quoted for truth
    (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง ᴛʜɪs ɪs ᴏᴜʀ ᴛᴏwɴ sᴄʀᴜʙ (ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)ง - (ง •̀_•́)ง ʏᴇᴀʜ ʙᴇᴀᴛ ɪᴛ! (ง •̀_•́)ง