Deleted

Latency issues from E.U to U.S servers?

(can't find a respective forum for this)

Hi all, new here. I'll just make this simple, I have a question: just as the title reads, I wanted to know the opinion of anyone who plays or has ever played on a U.S server while being in Europe. I ask because I left WoW almost 2 years ago because I had to move from U.S to here (Italy), and don't want to leave the U.S community and friends behind. So I plan on coming back, and started to wonder if being across the ocean would bring latency problems and affect my gameplay somehow. I know it won't be perfect, but I'm hoping it'll at least be tolerable. BTW I'm planning on connecting to a New York datacenter (from Italy) if that helps.

All opinions appreciated, thanks in advance.

(If i don't answer anytime soon it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you, it means I'm asleep :D)

EDIT: my current connection is at 100mbs, maybe that helps
    Last edited by mmoc079eea4b81; 2010-11-24 at 05:22 PM.

You'll probably be in the 3-400 range depending on your ISP

If you moved to sweden it'd be more like 250, fucking swedes

I currently play on Alterac Mountains, living in England though. Since AM is an EST server, the difference isn't as bad as say a CST or PST server. I usually get in the 100-150 range, depending on the time of day. I don't know what the internet is like in Italy, although I do know someone living their right now and from what I hear it's not the best. That being said, I'm sure it wouldn't be TERRIBLE. There's the packet exchange fix or whatever it's called, and that would probably help you a little. Playing with 200-300 isn't that bad. Before I moved to a different house that's what I had and it was doable, not ideal but certainly didn't feel as bad as I thought it would. That being said though, before I moved overseas I was playing on a server that I had around 20-30 ping though, so the jump felt weird but you can do it. Good luck.

Edit: Just read the NY Datacenter part of your post. I'm sure you'll be fine, as long as the internet you currently have isn't garbage. I don't have the best speeds by any means, and it's still just fine.

I know that you are talking EU to the u.s. i am not positive what the numbers look like from there but i currently live and work in Thailand but play on a u.s. server.

Without any additional programs my latency is around 500+ sometimes better sometimes worse on a 16mb connection (speed of connection doesn't really matter your gonna be throttled by international connection). It is difficult to do much with a connection like that so i use either a VPN or a tunneling service to lower my latency with the tunneling service my latency sits around 250+ or - 100 depending on time of day. I do not currently have my VPN set up waiting for my new router but i antipate it being faster when i switch over to that. I don't want to post the names of the company i like to use because i do not want people to think that i am trying to sell there product or advertise for them im just telling you what i have to do to make the game playable.

My advice would be find out what isp has the largest international hub some isp's share a international hub with other isps so the traffic on the line is important too. try to find a isp with a large international connection and little traffic i dont have any info on italy all my isp info is thai specific but hopefully that helps somewhat.

Tried a few proxy services lowerping, smoothping, pingbetter all of which did reduce the ping proportionally.

I am in New Zealand so I always get a high ping 500 + is typical, tried a few companies lowerping, smoothping and settled on a local proxy firm pingbetter.com who have an pretty good client application, and got around 200 after a minute or two.

Having said this depite the game reporting 2000 + ping for a while afterinitial login the character movement in Daralan seemed Ok, but I have been seeing this initially high ping reported since Cataclysm patches have been flowing out of Blizz for nearly a month.

hihi, well im english and tried the US servers to play with my auntie who lives in aussie and i was running about 200-450ms depending on the time of day ofc

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Was down to 150 ping from times to times but average of 200ish ping on beta realms from Norway (fibre net). So I imagine it being playable atleast from Italy, although maybe no ideal for raiding etc.

Tried a few proxy services lowerping, smoothping, pingbetter all of which did reduce the ping proportionally.

I am in New Zealand so I always get a high ping 500 + is typical, tried a few companies lowerping, smoothping and settled on a local proxy firm pingbetter.com who have an pretty good client application, and got around 200 after a minute or two.

Having said this depite the game reporting 2000 + ping for a while afterinitial login the character movement in Daralan seemed Ok, but I have been seeing this initially high ping reported since Cataclysm patches have been flowing out of Blizz for nearly a month.

Playing from central Europe on Shadowmoon US, which is a server located in Texas, I had around 240ms. It was a lot better on eastcoast US servers though, like Mal'ganis, hovering around 160ms.

Don't expect stellar performance from yourself if you are playing with pings above 200ms, it feels like trying to wade through knee-high water on a sandy beach.

10+ Year Old Account
    General rule of thumb when playing on the other version of game is between 210-300ms depending on the service provider. I play on EU from Canada and average around 250ms. My game play is actually very good considering.

As long as that little computer icon is green, it's all good
    Have you hugged a Gnome today?

Got about 3-400 ms from a normal connection.

I play on the EU realms from the US east coast, My average ping is around 140 to 180 even at raid times on a high population server. I actually get a lower ping from the US than I did from virgin media in the UK. using lowerping in the UK I would get around 40 to 50ms here in the US with lowerping its about 100 to 140 so not a huge difference from a good PC and connection with some registry tweaks.
    Last edited by Jailbuild; 2010-11-24 at 08:00 AM.

Deleted
    From uk to us server on an average 8mb line i was getting around 400+, not great tbh

I am playing on US servers and I currently live in Ukraine. My latency is in 200-300ms range with Leatrix Latency fix or BattlePing programs. Used to be like 500 before I started to use those.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guildie of mine plays in the U.S on EU server and it works fine only with raids it's a bit rubbish (Like with the Sindragosa fight and dodging the Ice blast thingies).

Deleted
    Hey guys thanks for the responses, really grateful, I think I'll try the US servers on trial when i get my laptop fixed but i'll buy the E.U version since it's so cheap for this week, just incase, that's the only solution I can find for now, thanks again to all of you.

BTW forgot to add an important detail: my current connection is at 100mbs (edited into first post)

anymore opinions from anyone else would be nice and highly appreciated.
    Last edited by mmoc079eea4b81; 2010-11-25 at 05:10 PM.

Had poor ping from New Zealand last night lots of lag seem to resolve its self after an hour or so pbly the Cataclysm upgrades I guess