Thread: Mage Portals

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mage Portals

Anyone else make over 300g selling ports last night when the shattering happened?

I love porting people to the wrong places.

That ought to teach them to pay attention to what they click on.

I'd like to congratulate you for taking advantage of the market and making a profit, but is this really Cataclysm related..? =P

By the end of the night I had made 1300g.

We were selling them from 30-50 gold each. You either paid or you took a ride. It was great watching the ones most likely celebrated the removal of the portals getting pissy about having to pay to use a portal.

It was a great union of mages yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Tails Prower View Post
    I'd like to congratulate you for taking advantage of the market and making a profit, but is this really Cataclysm related..? =P
    Yes, cataclysm caused the drama so yea. It's related.

Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    By the end of the night I had made 1300g.

We were selling them from 30-50 gold each. You either paid or you took a ride. It was great watching the ones most likely celebrated the removal of the portals getting pissy about having to pay to use a portal.

It was a great union of mages yesterday.
    Yeah, I'd imagine being a Mage was quite profitable yesterday.

I gave them out for free.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    As planned, I stood in Dalaran and offered free ports.

In the limited time I actually spent in cities last night, I gave at least 15 free ports. Not because I'm particularly benevolent, but because I really like undermining opportunistic assholes.

EDIT: I've also been giving free ports out on a very regular basis since the Pilgrim holiday started. Entire groups full of people, all getting ports for free.

Deleted
    Gave them out for free also

Quote Originally Posted by Malphaz View Post
    Gave them out for free also
    I don't comprehend why.

Really good to see some good Samaritans out there. Keep on doing those good deeds!

Deleted
    Given how much I was pestered before this as a mage, I totally understand how annoying it is. So I'd happily tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't comprehend why.
    Personally, like I said earlier... specifically to undermine other mages taking advantage of people and gouging them on <20s reagents. I don't really care if I'm not making money, but if I can indirectly take money out of the pockets of an asshole, I will.

Quote Originally Posted by flargen View Post
    Personally, like I said earlier... specifically to undermine other mages taking advantage of people and gouging them on <20s reagents. I don't really care if I'm not making money, but if I can indirectly take money out of the pockets of an asshole, I will.
    To each their own regarding whether you feel like doing something for free, but I don't really see why you're so angry with people charging for a service they're performing. How is it being an asshole to charge someone a trivial sum for a trivial act? For the vast bulk of competent individuals, 20 gold is really inconsequential, and charging something keeps people from expecting a service for free.

I only sold like 5 portals, but made 50g from it....I got multiple random whispers asking for portals which I turned down...I could've made a good 500g in an hour last night.....so many people were caught offguard by the Dalaran portal missing that they were willing to pay as much as 25g for a portal....Today I'm going to selling portals just to 1 city at a time because of all the whisper I got....simply invite 4 poeple who want to go to the same city and boom...40g in less than 2 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by flargen View Post
    What you call being an asshole I call taking advantage of lazy morons.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    i never ask gold for Portal....but i never say no if the dude give me gold for it.
    If you fishing for hours at the same place and you become confident that everything is fine and safe, its will mean one thing; You are wrong. Because i was actually sitting near of you for hours, cloaked in the shadow with a smile on my face and my daggers ready to strike. I did it many time before. I will do it again.....and again......

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    To each their own regarding whether you feel like doing something for free, but I don't really see why you're so angry with people charging for a service they're performing.
    There's no anger involved. I just like to mess little things like this up for opportunistic jerks.

How is it being an asshole to charge someone a trivial sum for a trivial act? For the vast bulk of competent individuals, 20 gold is really inconsequential, and charging something keeps people from expecting a service for free.
    Because no matter what, short of dropping everything you are doing, porting somewhere just to port somebody, then running back to what you were doing, the only real cost involved is the cost of the reagent, which is, at most, 20 silver. Charging somebody 20g for doing nothing besides taking ~10 seconds to use a <20s reagent simply because the game changed is nothing more than taking advantage of somebody because your class happens to have the ability to help people get around. By all means, if you're physically going to people to port them... charge them. But I find charging somebody an exorbitant (compared to the cost) amount of money to stand in a place and click a button to be utterly absurd.

And if enough people get ports for free that it becomes assumed it will be free always? Well that's just hilarious and I would welcome it.

Deleted
    I was in dala and had to leave due to all the dozens of harrassing wispers for ports. I will return once its a mage only city.

I might do a portal here and there for free if I'm feeling generous or if the player is low level, but I won't stand around in Dalaran doing it for free for hours. People will come to expect it and then I'm spending ALL my time doing portals for others when I'm trying to get my own things done. I don't log into the game to be at the beck and call of others. I didn't make much yesterday doing portals because I didn't advertise my services, but if someone saw me and asked for one, I'd do it. So I only made about 100g, possibly 200g. I didn't keep track.

I think 5g is a fair price for a portal considering the cost of the reagents is only a few silver and it only takes 15 seconds to give someone a portal. The price would obviously go up a bit if you have to go out of your way to give someone a portal (i.e. you have to meet them instead of them coming to you). I wouldn't expect more than 10g, although I did have one or two people give me 20g.

I had no problem paying other Mages 5g for a portal when I was on another class.

With the removal of portals, I'm sure Mages are going to be making a lot more gold in the months ahead. Players are always going to want the quickest way to get around.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail