Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Repost: Catch CATA FISH NOW!!

(This is being reposted here since this is the correct forum for it)

So first let me say this is most likely not a bug, and you can go try it now. I've caught the Algaefin Rockfish, Deepsea Sagefish and ALOT of Murglesnout, with 2 catches so far of 2-3 volatile water. Where? Go to the river that separates Wetlands from Arathi Highlands, use a form of water-walking and head along the mountain coast of Wetlands, stay on the Arathi Side (if you get too close to Twilight you will get No Man's Land and port'd into wetlands).

Then, once you're just North of Twilight Highlands (when you go alittle south on the river you get the No Man's Land debuff, immediately turn around and you might avoid the port) cast into the water. You won't bridge the zone but your fishing bobber can. You can only, that I've found, catch the open water coastal fish. I have not found a way to get the new inland fish yet.

62.4, 94.4 (where the outcropping meets the water, and the terrain bridges from green to brown) is a good spot right on the edge. You'll be standing on land so don't need waterwalking, and can cast to the South.

Bring a lure... I'm just using the +75 from the fishing hat on my Kalu'ak pole for a total of 560 fishing skill, and still getting lots of trash (right at 25%).

300 non-trash catches:

150 x Murglesnout
    94 x Deepsea Sagefish
    51 x Algaefin Rockfish
    6 x Volatile Water (total of 12)

So at this point it looks like drop rates -- at least for that location -- are right at 1 in 2, 1 in 3, 1 in 6, and 1 in 50 respectively.
    Last edited by Bigslick; 2010-11-24 at 09:57 PM.

Not a bug? You're right, it's probably not.

Exploit? Hell yes. But try and justify it to yourself all you want. Maybe Blizzard won't notice and ban you, eh?

How is this an exploit? GC said in his interview that people would find ways into the new zones, but that nothing in there would be active, i.e. quests/vendors and the like.
    This is like the fishing spot in Wintergrasp, where you stand in Borean and cast into WG, which allows for fishing during the battles. No one was banned for that as far as i know. I plan on trying it myself when i log back in.
    But there's not a single buff in there that will make Puggy McGee do any less than UberGuildMaster Joe.

Sounds like an exploit to me, you are overcoming a design Blizzard made for you to not be able to get stuff that is aviable in the expension. They added that port for a reason.
    Retired WoW player - Active as a casual in Vanilla, raider in 3.0 and 3.1 and casual from 3.2 and forward!

Start putting Volatile Water on the AH now, see if you get banned.

EDIT: I'm very tempted to try this, but don't wanna get banned.

YOu can do the same in Uldum coming from Tanaris ocean.

Risk < Reward?.....No imo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    This.

That's pretty neat, but I don't have the balls to risk it either!
    Personal site: http://fuh-q.com
    My Kitteh's personal site: http://kitteh.in

Quote Originally Posted by jobdone View Post
    Start putting Volatile Water on the AH now, see if you get banned.

EDIT: I'm very tempted to try this, but don't wanna get banned.

So you think that if you get an item in your inventory that you aren't supposed to get it's fine.
    If you put that on AH you get banned?.
    As soon as you get something you aren't supposed to get, the server's log triggers a GM call.
    So or Blizzard doesn't care about this, or Gms are asking for actions, either way the fact that you used the AH is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by breath View Post
    So you think that if you get an item in your inventory that you aren't supposed to get it's fine.
    If you put that on AH you get banned?.
    As soon as you get something you aren't supposed to get, the server's log triggers a GM call.
    So or Blizzard doesn't care about this, or Gms are asking for actions, either way the fact that you used the AH is irrelevant.
    Well a lot of people seem to have cata items in their bags, but are not getting banned.
    So it seems that if you were to get banned for it, it would need something to get the attention of a GM, like putting it on the AH and seeing trade channel going mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    I can't imagine how one could even try to keep a low profile about this. All it would take is a simple database query, and boom, you're caught. Even if Blizz were concerned about possible performance degredation by running these kind of checks, they could easily just run it during maintenance.
    Last edited by underdogba; 2010-11-24 at 11:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol @ people worried about being banned

Why even bother? It does not raise your skill...

Quote Originally Posted by YersiniaPestis View Post
    Why even bother? It does not raise your skill...
    Because it is very easy gold.

It has been Hotfixed.
    You can't do it anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont see it as a bad thing, Hardly see people getting banned from it. i mean its just fish, cata is two weeks away, i think the devs and GMs have more to worry about than people getting bloody fish :S

I'm trying this right now. So far only thing I caught was a few trash drops and nothing else. I went ahead and made some lures from my engineering skill and gonna try again. Hopefully I can catch something this time.
    "And I looked and behold a pale horse, and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto him over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth."

I don't see why I can't go ahead and fish all that, then just hold on to it until later. When the 7th comes around, I can just raise my skill up super high in cooking at once, and then keep the water for enchants etc.