Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The difficulty of Cataclysm 5 Man Heroics.

Hi Guys. For those who were in beta, were the cataclysm 5 man heroics ever difficult? Regardless of being in epic level 359 or rare level 333 gear.

I wish to know because if they are actually challenging, this can solve a lot of problems with the tier skipping problem and scrubs earning free gear and such.

Thanks

PS. Please reply when they were in their hard patches, meaning when the bosses got the extra 2 million hp or such.

EDIT:

Sorry. I had to go and I never discussed my reasons why.

So basically, many changes will happen if Cataclysm Heroics are challenging.

For one, the rate of players getting gear will be reduced significantly. it is obvious the reason why many scrubs just have such great gear is because of the lack of difficulty in content.

Players will be taught how to navigate themselves with mechanics that are no pushovers when introduced in cataclysm heroic 5 mans.

Less Catering to Baddies for I really don't think Blizzard is going to be nerfing shit for a while. If you look at few of their replies, they said "HARD MODE IS HARD" when a player was asking it is too difficult to interrupt a 'x' ability of Chimaeron heroic on 10 man. Also Casuals aren't bad, baddies are bad.

Gear will mean something. For example, I remember everyone saying shouts to a guildie for getting the val'nyr hammer of ancient kings because at its time, it was quite challenging to get. The shadowmourne in the other hand was no where near the shouting compared to the ulduar legendary.

It will take longer for individuals to get gear for because of the cap of getting JP per week or day, and the difficulty of heroics. This is awesome.

Certainly the complaints from the tier skipping shit will stop. There is no reason to argue this one because this one is quite noticeable.
    Last edited by FattGuy; 2010-11-25 at 04:50 AM.

I was not personally in the beta, but I can offer http://www.youtube.com/user/totalhal.../7/WhUyJPMGBIM as a partial answer to your question.

The video is from TotalBiscuit, and was recorded right before the beta closed down. They're in 359 raid gear, and it's still hard.
    I accidentally my signature

No more faceroll, AoE fest dungeons. Time to get those CC spells back on your bars.

I am sure after a short time you will be able to faceroll them.. if not ppl will QQ at blizz until they nerf them to make them faceroll.

I still remember when HoR was considered difficult...

They're fairly hard. A lot more interesting mechanics then what you saw in Wrath for 5 mans.

Don't expect it to be painfully hard if you are running with a group of guild-friends; I found its mainly just a PUG that makes it unpleasantly difficult, especially with all the leavers.

Quote Originally Posted by ProBubble View Post
    I am sure after a short time you will be able to faceroll them.. if not ppl will QQ at blizz until they nerf them to make them faceroll.

That place is just endlessly annoying. Gauntlet events are not welcome!

Deleted
    As someone that was in beta, let me repeat what I usually tell people...

The two first instances, Blackrock Caverns and Throne of the Tides, they're easy enough. You don't really need CC, but it helps. Then you get to Stonecore at level 82. You enter and you begin to pull the first pack. About 17 seconds later, the group is dead. Why? Because there is a mob there that will AOE THE SHIT OUT OF YOU if you don't CC it. And one more in the next group. And the next has TWO of them! Now add heroic difficulty and I think you get the picture...

But of course, Stonecore is among the harder dungeons in Cata. Some of the others are easy enough. But still. It's CC or DIE. On NORMAL difficulty.....

Harder than H HoR?!?

In 359 with guildmates you can faceroll aoe pretty much every instance. With was 333 premades it was definitely more challenging so you had to be a bit more careful, but still rather easy doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post

The two first instances, Blackrock Caverns and Throne of the Tides, they're easy enough. You don't really need CC, but it helps. Then you get to Stonecore at level 82. You enter and you begin to pull the first pack. About 17 seconds later, the group is dead. Why? Because there is a mob there that will AOE THE SHIT OUT OF YOU if you don't CC it. And one more in the next group. And the next has TWO of them! Now add heroic difficulty and I think you get the picture...

But of course, Stonecore is among the harder dungeons in Cata. Some of the others are easy enough. But still. It's CC or DIE. On NORMAL difficulty.....
    Can agree on those mobs in stonecore but it's usually just a couple of mobs per instance that are annoying, btw you can just stun them to prevent that certain ae. Especially on normal the lost city of whatever and the halls of origin are really easy. I was still in mostly 277 icc gear and the tank and the healer had even worse but we still managed to get through without too many problems.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2010-11-25 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ProBubble View Post
    I wouldn't of ever considered HoR hard. The only hard part about it in the first day or two was managing to get on the Gunship without DC'ing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post

I am talking about heroics though. From your experience what are the difficulties of the instances of cataclysm heroic 5 mans.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    For a group that plays well together and does their roles correctly? No, they're not hard. For LFD groups and the like? Many people will wipe, but they can still get through them if people communicate with each other. None of them are terribly challenging ( lol hi to you Heroic Arcatraz pre nerf may you burn in hell for all I care etc), but they're not jokes like wrath instances were.

Not in Beta but I looked into them enough. They will probably be on par with TBC heroics, IMO, but for veteran players, they will really not struggle all that much....not to say its going to be /faceroll but they should get through most of it with limited wipes. By veteran I mean people that played in TBC or prior that know how the dungeons work, know that tanks used to mark things (unless you had a pally tank which was a treat) and know how to work together and use their utilities properly etc etc. Some will be harder than others sure and they will all certainly be easier with better gear. Still, even for veteran players I think they will be a treat, as you will still have to think and not stand in stupid shit in order to succeed.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not easy not hard , The strats arn't hard to learn make sure you have half decent players and you'll be fine.

From my opinion only Stonecores trash before the first boss need CC, pretty much everyting is faceroll

5 mans will never take more than 30 mins to complete, activision has too many other games you should be buying and playing to waste all your game play on simple things

I'm not really sure where people got that CC and doing less damage and requiring an least an hour is MORE fun than zering an instance down in 15 mins

WoW is not the same game today as it was when it had 2million users...

Quote Originally Posted by Smoopie View Post
    5 mans will never take more than 30 mins to complete, activision has too many other games you should be buying and playing to waste all your game play on simple things

I'm not really sure where people got that CC and doing less damage and requiring an least an hour is MORE fun than zering an instance down in 15 mins

WoW also had 2 million users sometime in 2005. Also everything in your post is pretty much directly disproven from what we've seen in beta.

e: Running dungeons that aren't a challenge isn't fun. If you find it fun, I can't even think of a game that you could play that would give you that and nothing but.

Oh wait, make a hammerdin in D2.

Quote Originally Posted by Obai View Post
    Harder than H HoR?!?
    yeah, but that was not that hard?
    ggg

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoopie View Post

The shortest instance takes longer then 30 minutes to complete on heroic. People like variety in what they do instead of the same old repetitive crap they get over and over again. Being able to zerg *some* stuff down is fine, but all of it? Many people did not approve of it, and most of the people who did got entitlement issues from it. Blizzard is stepping away from that, and they did it well with Cataclysm 5 man heroics, along with their raids.

Deleted
    Been carrying too many people in WoTLK heroics for soo long now, these people will have to learn to play properly to succeed in Cataclysm