Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    # Players are now able to complete the quest “Uther’s Blessing” by using the item Chillwind Tribute at Uther’s Tomb.
    Just went into WPL to test it, still doesn't work. Dumped the quest, picked up again - no luck

The power supplies of those systems seem oversized. Even the High End machine would run without any problems with the modern 500W PSU of the Lowest-End PC. Unless you want to use more than one graphics cards or maybe a single GTX480/580, you don't need more than 500W of power.

Quote Originally Posted by Meia View Post
    The computer section idea is great, but I wonder why you include anything other than a computer in it honestly? Don't get me wrong, I like seeing that all I REALLY have to do is subtract the costs of stuff like the monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers which I already have good ones of to get a real price, but since most of the important costs of a new computer are, well, the computer itself, listing those things seems silly.)
    Naturally the author wouldn't know what you already have.. But I'm mystified when people downplay the importance of the monitor. Just as the rest of the components to a computer, they haven't stopped the development of monitors; they need to be upgraded as well if you wish to have a better experience using a PC

Whoever this "chaud" is, he made some very bad choices on the top-end build. Granted, this is the only build I looked at, I'm sure the other three are equally as bad.

Allow me to elaborate for you, Boub:

Case: is fine.
    PSU: is overkill, but is relatively fine.
    CPU: The 930 is out-dated. The 950 can be had for the same (or lower) price, and is better,
    Cooling: I will give chaud credit here. He single-handedly picked the worst air cooling solution you could possibly get at that price point. If you don't want water, you have many other (much, much better) choices. Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow, etc. Or if you want a low profile closed-loop system for simple CPU cooling, something like a Corsair H50 or H70 would be perfect.
    Mobo: This one is debatable, but I'd much rather have an ASUS Rampage III Formula or something, many more features targeted to the gamer population, better board overall.
    Memory: That memory is absolute trash. 9 cas latency? Really? Those timings are horrendous. You can get kits for the same price or cheaper that have much, MUCH tighter timings-- like 6 or 7 CL.
    Video: This "high-end" build and you pick a HD 5870? What is the point of that? Drop another $150 and get a MUCH better card, a GTX 580.
    HDD: The Caviar Greens are alright but the Caviar Blacks are a couple dollars more and much better. This is a "high-end" rig afterall, isn't it?
    SSD: Wow, two decent SSDs. Got something right.

I just hope someone with some money to blow doesn't see the system in the news post and goes out to Amazon and wastes their money on a sub-par system. If anyone here wants to actually get the best mileage out of their dollar and have much better performance, you can PM me here. Give me your budget and I'll walk you through a good build-- just please don't build anything you see on this news post.

15+ Year Old Account
    What if you just want a CD/DVD drive and you don't give a crap about lightscribe? My drive is a lightscribe and I've never, ever had the inclination to actually use it. I thought that I would...the whole idea sounded awesome, but the need just hasn't arisen. Now that it's broken (it won't play dvds anymore for some reason) I want to get another drive, but I don't really care about it having lightscribe.

What's with the video card bias toward radeon? Some of us prefer nvidia over radeon for a multitude of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    What if you just want a CD/DVD drive and you don't give a crap about lightscribe? My drive is a lightscribe and I've never, ever had the inclination to actually use it. I thought that I would...the whole idea sounded awesome, but the need just hasn't arisen. Now that it's broken (it won't play dvds anymore for some reason) I want to get another drive, but I don't really care about it having lightscribe.
    I'm assuming you want one with a SATA connection, right?

Here's a drive that will last you forever, and is priced just right:
    newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Enjoy

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletchi View Post
    Naturally the author wouldn't know what you already have.. But I'm mystified when people downplay the importance of the monitor. Just as the rest of the components to a computer, they haven't stopped the development of monitors; they need to be upgraded as well if you wish to have a better experience using a PC
    I'd like to argue this point. They may have changed from CRT to LCD to LED. They might have increased contrast ratios, reduced response time, but they really have done nothing to improve the image quality. a CRT from 15 years ago can produce just as sharp an image as monitors display today. There have been no actual advances in increasing the resolution of screens, they just make them bigger.

I'll buy that "advances in monitors" when they increase the density of pixels on my screen tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    I'd like to argue this point. They may have changed from CRT to LCD to LED. They might have increased contrast ratios, reduced response time, but they really have done nothing to improve the image quality. a CRT from 15 years ago can produce just as sharp an image as monitors display today. There have been no actual advances in increasing the resolution of screens, they just make them bigger.

I'll buy that "advances in monitors" when they increase the density of pixels on my screen tyvm.
    I can't help but wonder when the last time was that you looked at a CRT monitor beside a LCD or LED. Even without one sitting next to me I can remember the horrible quality of CRT.

Chauds Computer setups are horrid, where did you get this guy? Some nice bits of hardware overall, but googling hardware and throwing all the shit together, doesnt make it worthy as an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post

Without getting into a CRT vs flat panel argument (some can be very religious about it), you are assuming the reader already have a very decent CRT monitor. Flat panels have been mainstream for quite a few years and there are probably a lot of aging panels out there. (which you are probably comparing your CRT monitor with..)

Deleted
    Argh hardware arguments! :O

but more on topic.... rly cool stuff from Atlas Loot!

Deleted
    No one needs to post after talonp's dissection of the high end build ;-) (@talonp the lower end builds aren't much better, buying a phenom over an i3, seriously?! And the equivalent h55 Gigabyte mobo is cheaper and actually is slightly better).

Quote Originally Posted by skyesfury View Post
    What's with the video card bias toward radeon? Some of us prefer nvidia over radeon for a multitude of reasons.
    Well If you check the cards out, the only reason they are radeon is because they are good value and performance. GTX460 is a bang for its buck, Most GTX460 are OC to 470's Specs, or even surpasses it in some brands, so GTX470 isnt even a choice, ever. Then you got the radeon 5870 and 6 Series which is better then the GTX460 and 470. If you wanna go above Radeons High end 5 series and 6 Series Value to nvidia, you are paying $500 - 800 for the GTX480 and 580 Cards. Thats why its Radeon cards, like i said Value and performance. Not bias either, as my card is the GTX460.

Deleted

Reputation with Argent Dawn

Can make anyone some reputation with Argent Down after patch 4.0.3a ?

I try tomorrow farm and make q in Stratholme and reputation isn't here.

Quote Originally Posted by talonp View Post
    Whoever this "chaud" is, he made some very bad choices on the top-end build. Granted, this is the only build I looked at, I'm sure the other three are equally as bad.

Allow me to elaborate for you, Boub:

Case: is fine.
    PSU: is overkill, but is relatively fine.
    CPU: The 930 is out-dated. The 950 can be had for the same (or lower) price, and is better,
    Cooling: I will give chaud credit here. He single-handedly picked the worst air cooling solution you could possibly get at that price point. If you don't want water, you have many other (much, much better) choices. Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Silver Arrow, etc. Or if you want a low profile closed-loop system for simple CPU cooling, something like a Corsair H50 or H70 would be perfect.
    Mobo: This one is debatable, but I'd much rather have an ASUS Rampage III Formula or something, many more features targeted to the gamer population, better board overall.
    Memory: That memory is absolute trash. 9 cas latency? Really? Those timings are horrendous. You can get kits for the same price or cheaper that have much, MUCH tighter timings-- like 6 or 7 CL.
    Video: This "high-end" build and you pick a HD 5870? What is the point of that? Drop another $150 and get a MUCH better card, a GTX 580.
    HDD: The Caviar Greens are alright but the Caviar Blacks are a couple dollars more and much better. This is a "high-end" rig afterall, isn't it?
    SSD: Wow, two decent SSDs. Got something right.

I just hope someone with some money to blow doesn't see the system in the news post and goes out to Amazon and wastes their money on a sub-par system. If anyone here wants to actually get the best mileage out of their dollar and have much better performance, you can PM me here. Give me your budget and I'll walk you through a good build-- just please don't build anything you see on this news post.
    I am going to agree with you. Most of the recommended equipment is trash, not worth it or risky to purchase. The high end video card right now is GTX 580 and until GTX 595 comes out (which will literally dominate for a long while). The high end mouse is stupid garbage ... Razer Naga for a high end mouse. Did that guy even do his homework before recommending these products? Razer Naga IS the mouse for WoW. I can go on and on and on ... but I had to register this because I want a response back from MMO-Champion's admins:

You guys have teamed up with Curse.com, right? What the hell is going on with curse.com? It has been down for more than a week now. I keep trying to refresh the page. I did on FF and IE and I tried on other computers and other internet connections. I mean, this is nuts man. I know curse.com is famous but do they even have reliable servers to start with? Do they have backup pages in-case the website goes down? Wow-interface only has some rare addons that curse.com doesn't carry and they're usually behind when an addon gets updated. When will curse.com be online? ....

Edit -- BTW, I had to make this because I want to warn those who want to purchase an HDD. Never ever ever ever EVER purchase a Western Digital Green Edition for your operating system or to do heavy tasks like encoding videos within the HDD! Green and Blue editions are for Video storage or other extremely small and minor tasks which you want to store away or not use for a while. Black Editions are the beasts you wanna aim for your operating system and heavy tasks, like gaming and video encoding.
    Last edited by Tatsujin; 2010-11-25 at 09:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grangel View Post
    Gosh damn DK tank Nerfs anyone?
    Hope the armor Damage Reduction is just being leveled with the rest of the tanks...
    But with the CD's being weakened, lack of block percentage to be another form of damage reduction, and now armor bonus being cut in half...
    I hope this a momentary phase while balancing all tank classes, just ouch.
    I couple more of those nerfs and my choice for a new main in cata will be easier.

The DK nerf is possibly one of the dumbest changes i've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitus View Post
    I couple more of those nerfs and my choice for a new main in cata will be easier.
    I'm glad they're getting nerfed. They were bad asses in Wrath as it is.

I'm worried about Arms warriors. They are doing sick damage in PvP. Fury was dumbed to shit with the new patch but that's ok, new gear from Cata will put us ahead of everyone else until they nerf us again.

Quote Originally Posted by skyesfury View Post
    I can't help but wonder when the last time was that you looked at a CRT monitor beside a LCD or LED. Even without one sitting next to me I can remember the horrible quality of CRT.
    Dunno what crt monitor you used, but atm crt monitors are pretty much on par with any led or lcd monitor. Sure, crts are big, heavy and generate a lot of heat, but in most cases crt monitor that costs the same as the led or lcd one can output better color rendering(contrast/depths of color).