Patch 4 & Cataclysm: How to backup the installation files ?

Hi everyone ^^

I'm wondering how can I backup any installation files with the new streaming launcher ?

Previously when you installed WoW from nothing, you has to choose a directory where to save the big setup files for WOTLK (roughly equal to the setup of the DVD)
    then every patch can be viewed in WoW installation folder, like : "WoW-3.3.0.10958-to-3.3.0.11159-enGB-patch" And , you just has to save those and you were fine to go for another installation (in case of formating for example).

Now I'm starting with "WoW-4.0.0-WOW-enGB-Installer.exe" which weigh 30MB, then it installs the necessary files for the new streaming dl procedure. So no backupable setup files left !

Just saving the WoW folder doesn't sound good to me because the setup install some files in "program files/common files" and also creates shortcut in start menu etc.

So any suggestion? thanks !

edit : Also previously you could extract the .torrent file from the patch file easily, so you could use your P2P soft and could restrict upload a little bit to avoid the blizzard downloader to saturate your upload. Now it seems this is no longer possible.
    Last edited by fluffyze; 2010-11-25 at 09:52 AM.

Ignore the stuff outside the main WoW folder, it doesn't matter.
    You really do just need to back up the entire main WoW folder.

well maybe is there another "cleaner" way to do it ?
    backuping apps folder isnt really the smarttest choice on windows :P

I used the online downloadable client to re-download WoW entirely to a backup folder, but won't log in with that client, only using it to download paches whenever an update is released. That way I'll always have a clean install at hand whenever I would need it.

Should I have to reinstall for any reason, I can
    - uninstall WoW the proper way
    - tell the download client to reinstall WoW
    - after creating the folder, close the launcher when it wants to start the stream DL
    - delete the WoW folder created by the installer, and replace it with the backup version (deleting the old folder or its entire contents is key here. I tried to just merge and replace files from a 4.0.1 install in a 3.X.X original folder before, which led to old and new files getting mixed, creating an error)
    Last edited by Dalehan; 2010-11-25 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffyze View Post
    well maybe is there another "cleaner" way to do it ?
    backuping apps folder isnt really the smarttest choice on windows :P
    Why make it hard for yourself? Just backup the WoW folder, it's fine like I said. Done it loads of times.