Oh yeah, and about the NH-D14.

It wouldn't fit with the fans mounted above the RAM. The fan would simply extend across the third RAM slot as well from what I could discern. As a result I flipped it 90 degrees clockwise, with fan on the bottom. It could've fit in with the graphic card immediately below, but I opted for installing the graphic card in PCIe 16x (running 8x) slot for the moment. I'll figure things out a bit more later.

Maybe I'll reverse the top fan to intake and--actually, no, that sounds stupid too... *ponder*

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Dune and Spaceballs references are wasted on you folks!
    I bet she gives great helmet

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post

It wouldn't fit with the fans mounted above the RAM. The FAN would simply extend across the third RAM slot as well from what I could discern. As a result I flipped it 90 degrees clockwise, with fan on the bottom. It could've fit in with the graphic card immediately below, but I opted for installing the graphic card in PCIe 16x (running 8x) slot for the moment. I'll figure things out a bit more later.

Maybe I'll reverse the top fan to intake and--actually, no, that sounds stupid too... *ponder*
    Coffee is your friend.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

It wouldn't fit with the fans mounted above the RAM. The FAN would simply extend across the third RAM slot as well from what I could discern. As a result I flipped it 90 degrees clockwise, with fan on the bottom. It could've fit in with the graphic card immediately below, but I opted for installing the graphic card in PCIe 16x (running 8x) slot for the moment. I'll figure things out a bit more later.

You have the normal Vengeance heatsinks, right? I just got the LP ones, so I really hope you do have the large ones :P
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-24 at 09:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

It wouldn't fit with the fans mounted above the RAM. The fan would simply extend across the third RAM slot as well from what I could discern. As a result I flipped it 90 degrees clockwise, with fan on the bottom. It could've fit in with the graphic card immediately below, but I opted for installing the graphic card in PCIe 16x (running 8x) slot for the moment. I'll figure things out a bit more later.

typically, cards running in x8 will see no performance hit from x16. I think intake @ bottom, blowout @ top should do you just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Coffee is your friend.
    ... *eyes cola* No. No, it isn't. *hugs cola bottle*

---------- Post added 2011-08-24 at 09:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    You have the normal Vengeance heatsinks, right? I just got the LP ones, so I really hope you do have the large ones :P
    New RAM chips were LP version. Fit fine underneath the NH-D14.

So it's now like
    Slot A1: LP
    Slot B1: LP

Slot A2: Vanilla
    Slot B2: Vanilla

You renewed my faith, chaps. Thankyou.

Turns out I need to get some better cutting discs - so does anyone have experience cutting cases apart with rotary tools? It's the Obsidian 700D, so it's decent quality steel sides that I need to get through. I tried the discs I have, and I watched three of them disappear in less than a minute (cheap shite) on a case side I took off an old Packard Bell.

Is it going to be enough to get some fiberglass reinforced discs, or should I pick up some diamond tipped cutting discs?

... *eyes cola* No. No, it isn't. *hugs cola bottle*

---------- Post added 2011-08-24 at 09:40 PM ----------

New RAM chips were LP version.

So it's now like
    Slot A1: LP
    Slot B1: LP

Slot A2: Vanilla
    Slot B2: Vanilla
    Sooo, the NH-D14 fits over the LP ones if I understand correctly

What about this: turn the fans around and let the one that is pushing at the downside now, pull at the top

Yeah, they fit just fine underneath it, but I'll have to remove the NH-D14 if I ever want to see them again. :P

Everyone is moving to Fractal Designs, while they are awesome cases, I almost feel you are all Fractal POSERS!!!

As much as I want one, now I'm thinking I'll stick with the HAF X because soon it will be the rarity, at the rate everyone is buying these Fractals. ;p

I kid I kid. :>
    Pff, I've had mine since November '10. D:

It's a solid case. Sturdy, silent (OR fantastic cooling OR both), well-planned, easy to work/build with. While my rig hardly is highest-end (last-gen i5, current-gen top-AMD GPU) anymore, it can fit these and still look sleek and professional. Quietly humming along with a good chunk of an overclock while doing its' business.

I also drink whatever my (soon to be) ex-roomie drinks. When I move in with another girl friend of mine in a week and a half, I'll drink whatever she has!

Yeah, they fit just fine underneath it, but I'll have to remove the NH-D14 if I ever want to see them again. :P
    I had blue vanilla sticks, now black LP sticks. I wanted blue, I got black, so I never want to see them again XD

15+ Year Old Account
    meh, that wouldn't bother me. The noctua looks better than Ram anyhow :-p

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    You renewed my faith, chaps. Thankyou.

Turns out I need to get some better cutting discs - so does anyone have experience cutting cases apart with rotary tools? It's the Obsidian 700D, so it's decent quality steel sides that I need to get through. I tried the discs I have, and I watched three of them disappear in less than a minute (cheap shite) on a case side I took off an old Packard Bell.

Is it going to be enough to get some fiberglass reinforced discs, or should I pick up some diamond tipped cutting discs?
    My experience with case modding is very limited. As I understand it, when you start cutting in a side panel you almost always need to smooth out the cuts and repaint the whole thing. At least that's what I had to do when I modded a case some 5 years ago (and I was using "quality" tools at a local metal-shop, a.k.a. car-crazy neighbor).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Pff, I've had mine since November '10. D:

It's a solid case. Sturdy, silent (OR fantastic cooling OR both), well-planned, easy to work/build with. While my rig hardly is highest-end (last-gen i5, current-gen top-AMD GPU) anymore, it can fit these and still look sleek and professional. Quietly humming along with a good chunk of an overclock while doing its' business.

I also drink whatever my (soon to be) ex-roomie drinks. When I move in with another girl friend of mine in a week and a half, I'll drink whatever she has!
    No no, I should have mentioned, everyone thinks tetris is cool, so they are all copying you! ;p
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    I had blue vanilla sticks, now black LP sticks. I wanted blue, I got black, so I never want to see them again XD
    Aaah...
    Yeah, but if you want to keep your old RAM you'll have to mount it "sideways" (like I have), which should thankfully work with most motherboards' PCIe 16x slot barely. Or alternatively mount the fan distinctly higher, which is kinda silly imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    My experience with case modding is very limited. As I understand it, when you start cutting in a side panel you almost always need to smooth out the cuts and repaint the whole thing. At least that's what I had to do when I modded a case some 5 years ago (and I was using "quality" tools at a local metal-shop, a.k.a. car-crazy neighbor).
    What I intend to do is cut the window out with a dremel (given what I managed to do with the crap discs, decent ones will leave a decent finish) and then either file, sand and polish the edge to give a silver trim, or just trim it with a U-channel. Then I'll mount a piece of acrylic behind it and refit the UV CCFLs I have on the inside of the side panel.

No no, I should have mentioned, everyone thinks tetris is cool, so they are all copying you! ;p
    Good thing they haven't seen me IRL! I were glasses, and I'm thin enough that I can hide behind a lamppost. And not in a good way.

I'm also quite full of myself and... ooh look! Candy! *om nom nom*
    Speaking of which. I'm quitting wow soon again. Anyone playing on DefBro-EU want a few hundred golds? Or a few hundred thousands?

Also, Dune. Thanks for reminding me. I still need to pick them up. I've had them on top of my "to-do" list for an embarassing stretch of time.

Good thing they haven't seen me IRL! I were glasses, and I'm thin enough that I can hide behind a lamppost. And not in a good way.

Speaking of which. I'm quitting wow soon again. Anyone playing on DefBro-EU want a few hundred golds? Or a few hundred thousands?

Also, Dune. Thanks for reminding me. I still need to pick them up. I've had them on top of my "to-do" list for an embarassing stretch of time.
    O really? Wanna go get some tea

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's the new RAM that came! About a week ago... sorry for late pics. This thread is very low on pics lately. =/ I must say, there's something beautiful about 4 DIMM slots all filled up. ^_< 16GB RAWRRRR

"A flower.

*gathers stalking gear for RL picz*

@Deltrus: Neat! But aren't all Hyper X RAM sticks 1.65v?