welcome to apple, last time i updated my ipad, it blue screened my computer and wiped out the bios

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

...it what? /baffled

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    welcome to apple, last time i updated my ipad, it blue screened my computer and wiped out the bios
    That's what you get for using Apple products with Windows!!! Apple and 3rd-party is a big no-no...
    Never had problems with my iPod Classic though ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    ...it what? /baffled
    the blue screen is fairly obvious to figure out, apple has some of the worst programmers out there

the bios crash took me a while to figure out, but pretty sure it had to do with the ROG connect feature of my MB, and the fact that i had it connected when the computer BSOD

luckily i have dual BIOS and can flash from a second computer via ROG connect

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Wiped out the ipad's bios or your motherboards?? If it was motherboard that would be the most bizarre thing ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Wiped out the ipad's bios or your motherboards?? If it was motherboard that would be the most bizarre thing ever.
    well technically both, as the ipad went into recovery mode, and the bios on my MB was corrupt, luckily it was just a simple jumper to switch to the secondary bios

but when i called apple about it they denied that the ipad or itunes had anything to do with it, and since i was able to switch bios's so easily that no harm was done, they were adamant about the fact that if i purchased a brand new mac pro that this problem would never happen

And this is why I don't use iTunes.... Ever. I used a 3GS for a while, I used iTunes to activate it, and that was it. If I wanted music on it, I streamed it or transferred stuff over via iPhoneBrowser. For my normal iPod, I modded it to use a 64GB Compact Flash card, and use Floola. Once Rockbox works on this model, i'll use that instead.

Apple is too controlling.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    It's loud, and I mean really loud. If my PC is idle and I stop all the fans, except the PSU fan, it's still just as loud..
    Maybe I just have a faulty fan, but I'm just going to take this one. Including the fact the AX1200 has 100A on one rail and my PC is not running from a grounded socket.

63A on the 12V rail, 580 pulls max 21A. According to that it should be safe. and with the rest of the specs.. Looks safe.
    Seems very strange. My AX1200 is very quiet. Sure, i can hear it, but it's still very easy to sleep with it on. I personally wouldn't trust much any other PSU since i got this one. Don't think i've ever had any issues with it in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Still a ghetto solution IMO. Isn't the MSI Twin Frozr for 580 just dual slot?
    It is, but you ABSOLUTELY need to leave a slot between 2 of them. Without a slot spare, it's cooling performs worse than the stock cooler, whereas with a slot or running as the secondary card, it'll live up to it's 20C degrees cooler claim.

-----

As for me, i've actually sourced a 24-Port SATA-3 RAID Controller for just over £520. One of these is in my sights now, especially since similar competitor parts are like 2x as much. I won't be using all the ports, at least not straight away. I will be aiming to use 4-6 of them in the first few months, then start to expand out to 12, and then perhaps all the way to 20. You may wonder why i don't just go to 24... you'll see soon enough.

You probably expect me to say HDD's. While i admire your ability to think inside the box, no such plans are that simple for me. *Synthaxx Grins Wickedly*.
    Since it's SATA-3, SATA-3 SSD's is what it shall be fed.

Let's do some napkin math.
    A PCIE 2.0 x16 slot provides up to 8GB/s bandwidth. Since i'll be forced into x8 mode due to my existing GPU's, this is 4GB/s bandwidth.
    Each SSD is able to put through 200MB/s Read without too much problem (sequential random, incompressible data).
    That means it'd take 20 SSD's in order to come close to maxing out the throughput of the PCIE slot.
    That also means with 60GB SSD's, i'll have 1200GB, or Approx. 1.2TB, of space. Formatted is about 1.12TB.

So, 4GB/s throughput, 1.2TB capacity, silent, no cooling required. And the most amusing part in all of this, is that it's access times will still be < 2ms. They might possibly be < 1ms, but with that many drives there's be some overhead.

People will no doubt question what use i have for such bandwidth. The answer? I don't. I do it because i can. And this isn't just some technology benchmark or show off. No, this is designed to be run day to day alongside my existing hardware. Of course, the cost of this, at current, would be over £2200. Add in an additional PSU, and that adds another £120 to the total. It might very well not come to be, but the plan is that it indeed will become reality by february next year at the latest. It might happen before Christmas. That's incredibly unlikely, but it would have been around a year at that point since i first started upgrading my rig from it's Phenom II GTX460 setup.

Of course, before that, i'm gonna need one helluva case to mount it all, and as mentioned previously, the Caselabs M10 is my choice. Provided they're compatible, i might end up fitting 4 SSD's into each drive bay with an adapter from Lian-Li, and thus i'd still have 5 or so spare bays on the same side. It's a lot of cables, but with the controller card being in the bottom port, it doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to route them all relatively well hidden.

After that is done, Ivy Bridge should be waving it's arms around, so i'll be looking at the highest end chip available.

Ah, i am gonna absolutely love the next few months. One SSD is a luxury. One SATA-3 SSD is caviar. SATA-3 SSD RAID is Caviar served with a bone carved spoon. 20 SATA-3 SSD's in RAID0 is..... well. Just to put this in a somewhat ironic light, it'd load WoW in ~250ms (1/4 of a second) -- from selecting a character to the server connection and sync part. Of course, there's MUCH better uses for this. I've got some ideas. Nothing concrete yet, and as such, suggestion box is open!

Samsung claim 2GB/s throughput, while Intel claim 2.2GB/s. Even Patriot have a claim to fame with 40 SSD's and 8GB/s. That's to be expected, but they're then also using 5 RAID controllers, and thus can't use a dedicated GPU. What i intend to do is build a rig that's excessive in every regard. I've already done that in most areas, and even storage would be considered excessive to most.

Now, the OCZ 960GB RevoDrive3 X2, costing £2650, claims 1500MB/sec read speeds maximum. It's still 2.6x slower than my plans, roughly the same price, and has less capacity overall. Formatted, it sits at 892GB.

As i said, i don't plan to sink in 20 drives from the get go. I don't have THAT much disposable income lying around (and if i did, i'd be sourcing the parts already). I do have enough to sink in a group of drives at a time, every month.

Again, it's not a case of "Why?". It's a case of "Can".

I am, of course planning on keeping my HDD RAID up and running purely for the sheer capacity and as storage for "non IO intensive" content.
    [...]

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Since it's SATA-3, SATA-3 SSD's is what it shall be fed.

That's all I can do to describe my reaction.

£520 is roughly the current price of the 24 port card I have in my fileserver. It's been around for a long time though, SAS/SATA2. Areca ARC-1280ML

Good card.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Purplz View Post
    Some changes to my setup since the last time I posted, heres an update:

What case is that?! I DEMAND TO KNOW!

NZXT Phantom I think?

Corsair Graphite 600T

Black NZXT Phatom with With strips

EDIT: Suck that the tubes cover the whole room
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Aminozuur View Post
    Black NZXT Phatom with With strips

EDIT: Suck that the tubes cover the whole room
    Yeah, most LC builds I've seen are either very conservative with their tubing, or they run their tubing in very specific places.

He actually could have made them shorter and changed the path a wee bit to help with that. Doesn't matter too much since he has a small loop, but the longer your tubing, the more it takes from your pump. If it's a long loop with many things in it you want to keep your tubing as short as possible. Or just have a better pump(s).

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    £520 is roughly the current price of the 24 port card I have in my fileserver. It's been around for a long time though, SAS/SATA2. Areca ARC-1280ML

Good card.
    Yeah, i'm looking at a Highpoint controller. I was honestly surprised at what you get for that amount of money, least when it comes RAID controllers. Really puts a different light on LSI in all honesty, although i will say their discontinued products are really good value. There is then of course the cost of the 4-device SAS cables, but that's not so much of an issue when you're investing this much in the hardware itself.

For a 24-port SATA-3 Areca card, the price is near enough double. So, in essence, highpoint works out to balance things out for me, at least for this project. Rather ironically, i would have considered anything above £75 expensive for a RAID controller when i wasn't so versed in it a few years ago.
    [...]

Well I'll be honest, Areca and LSi cards are REALLY good. I used to use an 8 port(2 MiniSAS connectors) LSI 8888ELP in my old desktop, awesome card. Had to sell the thing after losing my job since I wasn't using it at that point. Also at the time, I worked at a place where I could get stupid discounts. We cleaned up, repaired or refurb'd used hardware and the like and sold it. Many of the higher ups had no clue about technology, and I worked in receiving.

Also both of those cards had breakout cables already, I didn't need to buy them.

Synthaxx what is the plan after the 20 SSDs and Ivybridge? New GPU since the 600 series and 7000 series should be around by then?
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Synthaxx what is the plan after the 20 SSDs and Ivybridge? New GPU since the 600 series and 7000 series should be around by then?
    Nah, i still plan to skip that generation of GPU's. Perhaps i'll sit on my hands until i can get 32GB 1600Mhz+ RAM, which should be soonish being 4GB modules have been around for some time. If not, i'll add in the last 4 SSD's for that card. I've not actually looked at Ivy Bridge specific details yet, and outside knowing it's 22nm and will work in P67 board, i don't think i'd be able to say much. I'm hoping for an 8-core hyperthreaded chip but feel that might be LGA2011 only.

Still, having checked up on current prices, and knowing they're likely to drop as we head into the sales near years end, i've worked out that despite the cost from initial view, it shouldn't actually be as expensive on a per month basis as i originally imagined. The first few months are gonna be costly, but it kinda evens out after that.

I guess i'm now at a point where i'm waiting on the tech itself to hit the market. First time i've been here, and it does bore me a little having to wait around, but i guess it's nice to relax once in a while.

Now, if only it wasn't bank holiday tomorrow, i might have been able to get to work on replacing the board
    [...]