Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    5ghz OC with a Hyper212? Temps/voltages/proof please
    [mod warning: Yea, pictures wider than 800 pixels are not allowed here. Thumbnail it.]
    Last edited by tetrisGOAT; 2011-09-25 at 04:39 AM.

Dazmar, have you tried stress testing? Because 46c max temps @ 5ghz with a hyper212 = impossible

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Scary voltages.
    explain?

Dazmar, have you tried stress testing? Because 46c max temps @ 5ghz with a hyper212 = impossible
    max temp after 2 hours of prime95 was 68

Newegg package tracking is a curse... ETA date is Tuesday for my card. I'm sitting here staring at my empty case and PSU wondering how I'm going to do cable management and if there are enough ports on my Mobo for the top-ports of the case

Quote Originally Posted by dazmar View Post
    explain?

max temp after 2 hours of prime95 was 68
    Amazing, definitely a 1 out of 1000 chip there.

Explanation: 1.39v is pretty damn high for Sandybridge, I don't really expect your chip to last very long if you keep it at that voltage and overclock long. I honestly hope you downclock it to at least 4.8GHz. You can say you have a 5.0GHz capable chip, but honestly, especially with just a 212+ cooler... I would not push it.

1.39v is pretty damn high for Sandybridge
    Where are you getting this from? People regularly run 1.35-1.5v for overclocking purposes. Voltage doesn't matter, it has absolutely no significance - it's temperatures that damage the chip. As long as temps are acceptable, you can put whatever voltage through it you want. There's people putting 1.55-1.6v to obtain 5ghz+ overclocks and 1.39v sounds unbelievable.

Where are you getting this from? People regularly run 1.35-1.5v for overclocking purposes. Voltage doesn't matter, it has absolutely no significance - it's temperatures that damage the chip. As long as temps are acceptable, you can put whatever voltage through it you want. There's people putting 1.55-1.6v to obtain 5ghz+ overclocks and 1.39v sounds unbelievable.
    I personally will not go over 1.4. I will take the highest OC with good temps below 1.4v and I'm satisfied. I want the damn thing to last a bit lol

Explanation: 1.39v is pretty damn high for Sandybridge
    Absolutely incorrect. Max VID on an i5 2500k is 1.52v. Running at 1.52v without LLC is considered borderline. 1.52v without LLC vdroops to about 1.4v. In turn, 1.4v with an LLC level that maintains voltage (aka doesn't allow voltage to raise under load) is typically considered the safe limit. As far as I know, dazmar hasn't stated his LLC setting, so he's somewhere between 0.1v and 0.13v from the upper voltage limit.

Voltage doesn't matter, it has absolutely no significance - it's temperatures that damage the chip.
    Also absolutely incorrect. Either temperature or voltage can insta-kill a CPU. Voltage, however, is more likely to cause degredation over a period of time (days, weeks, months... it depends).

Hmm. Those guys shoving 1.6v-1.7v+ though their chips must either aiming at suicide runs or very short-lived chips.

Hmm. Those guys shoving 1.6v-1.7v+ though their chips must either aiming at suicide runs or very short-lived chips.
    More or less? Yes.

The games themselves letterbox 16:10 almost all the time
    I was running my x360 with a 20" 16:10 monitor and ALL games ran at full resolution without letterboxes. However, the console must be configured manually for 16:10 in the settings, it doesn't detect proper resolution automatically. I wish i could give you a photo to prove my point, but i already changed that monitor to 27" 16:9.
    Last edited by anb; 2011-09-25 at 01:01 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Anball2

MSI GTX 560 Ti | Crucial M4 64GB

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Yea. Unaccounting for the random factor, 1.6v will still make it outlive its usefulness, in the sense they'll just upgrade next generation anyway. The joy of being an enthusiast. :P

I could have sworn I read on overclockers.net or somewhere that 1.4v is when you start getting into the unsafe zone for the Sandybridges. My mistake. All these numbers get confusing. >_<

i thought intel had recommended no higher than about 1.525, 1.4-1.435 ish isthe recommended/usual number for 47x - 48/49x turbos though
    Quote Originally Posted by Meysvindu View Post
    Edit: I'm sorry, this sounded like what Rixis would say so I edited it out.
    Thinking like I do is fine, but saying it like I do is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    i thought intel had recommended no higher than about 1.525, 1.4-1.435 ish isthe recommended/usual number for 47x - 48/49x turbos though
    Until I find a new job, I won't be pushing my CPU any further and I am considering dropping it back down to 4.4GHz where I had 0 BSOD's when I got the proper voltages, every now and then when my computer is idling and folding via GPU, I've had BSOD's. 2 so far. If I get a new job though I might try and push 4.8GHz, because I know I plan to get Ivybridge next year anyways.

My CPU's back at 3.3 GHz till I figure out how to operate the multiplier on Asus boards. :P