The only reason people buy higher wattage then they need is because if you use 100% of your 450w it's going to be inefficient and will die quickly. The fan will also be at max and it will be loud.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    So apparently Intel Burn Test is not as good as some folks here think. I used it on standard, high, and very high the other day, no issues at all. Then I just blue screened a few minutes ago, I had changed nothing. -.-
    You realise you can BSOD for other reasons than overclock stability, yes? :P Write down the error-code. Do MemTest. Try the GPU-OC-stability. I've BSODed more often due to GPU than CPU instabilities. (nvidia drivers -.-)

15+ Year Old Account
    The numbers I'm seeing in the tomshardware article doesn't really support that

Could be that when you are testing full system's load at idle, most of the power is actually used on secondary components and CPU, not the GPU. Would make sense as most of the today's graphics cards have power saving features which kick in when you idle, thus consuming very little power compared to the rest of the system. That'd explain the small gap even if you swap cards.

We are venturing pretty far in the land of offtopic, though, aren't we

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    You realise you can BSOD for other reasons than overclock stability, yes? :P Write down the error-code. Do MemTest. Try the GPU-OC-stability. I've BSODed more often due to GPU than CPU instabilities. (nvidia drivers -.-)
    It was error 124, the "your CPU needs more wattage" error code.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalis71 View Post
    The only reason people buy higher wattage then they need is because if you use 100% of your 450w it's going to be inefficient and will die quickly. The fan will also be at max and it will be loud.
    And it will age almost as quick at <50%. 70-80% is a good place to land.
    And it's hardly the only reason. The most prime reason is that people think that more = better. If I have a higher number on my PSU, my FPS will increase.
    Since it's the only number they come across that make sense to them, they incorrectly assume that having more is a good thing.

A good PSU won't have loud fans either way. The X-series from SeaSonic for instance, have fans that barely runs at all until 75% load, and only in high ambient temperatures. At 100% load, I think the fan runs at 33% or something like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    The numbers I'm seeing in the tomshardware article doesn't really support that
    Stop using Toms Hardware for anything other than laughing at, then? I really can't take anything they're writing about hardware seriously. They are like the wow-insider of hardware.
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    Who could've seen that one coming Well at least I'm basing my assumptions on some proof while you are showing none. Toms hardware is fine as long as you have some common sense and read it critically, as you would do with any piece of literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    Who could've seen that one coming Well at least I'm basing my assumptions on some proof while you are showing none. Toms hardware is fine as long as you have some common sense and read it critically, as you would do with any piece of literature.
    I could show you some. Are you able to read Swedish?

The "bring proof" point only works if you offer some yourself. And Tom's hardware is precisely not that. And people keep bringing them up.
    &nbsp;

15+ Year Old Account
    I doubt that swedish numbers are that much different from the ones more widely used And I sort of did, offer some myself, refering of course to the article from where this started.

Don't really see how they could have messed up the results in the particular case which shows 3 different kind of setups (low, mid and high) with both lower and higher quality power supplies in them, testing the idle loads. Each of them seems to be within 10watts range of each other. Unless they are flat out lying, which I see no reason to, albeit possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take it to PMs, please.

Quick, someone post a picture that is vaguely as cool as Ispano's, Cyanotical's, or that one guy from one of the earlier pages, setups.

---------- Post added 2011-10-03 at 01:01 AM ----------

This one: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post10091660
    "A flower.

Quick, someone post a picture that is vaguely as cool as Ispano's, Cyanotical's, or that one guy from one of the earlier pages, setups.
    I typed in awesome computer in google.

Probably doesnt have amazing hardware but still looks cool!
    Last edited by georgevonfranken; 2011-10-03 at 02:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want one!

That would be cool for an HTPC.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    I typed in awesome computer in google.

Probably doesnt have amazing hardware but still looks cool!
    Are those heatsinks coming out of the front?

10+ Year Old Account
    Take it to PMs, please.

---------- Post added 2011-10-03 at 01:01 AM ----------

This one: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post10091660
    hopefully he is doing better with his frozenQ helix reservoir then i did, my blue/amber one developed a bunch of cracks and fell to pieces

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    hopefully he is doing better with his frozenQ helix reservoir then i did, my blue/amber one developed a bunch of cracks and fell to pieces
    whoa whoa. Say whaaaat?! When did this happen?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    whoa whoa. Say whaaaat?! When did this happen?
    a while back, its when i swithed to a twin loop and when i swapped out the fans and tubing to white colored ones:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    a while back, its when i swithed to a twin loop and when i swapped out the fans and tubing to white colored ones:

I like the white quite a bit better, but I'm just a fan of clean looking design.

10+ Year Old Account
    So wait you switched to the white before or after it happened?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    when i changed out the frozenQ reservior for the rp-402x2, i added a second pump, 3rd radiator, nzxt fans, and solid white tubing

I wouldn't trust myself with watercooling

I know what you gonna say...but it works if you are patient. Yes, i am.

I'll put specs down later

Edit: World of Warcraft & Crysis just installed. It's gonna be mad!

<User was infracted for this post: Don't spam; post more constructively in the future.>
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-10-03 at 10:17 AM.
    It's like we are all Red Jelly Beans in a Jar full of various colors. Every now and then they reach in and get a Red Jelly Bean.
    We know we are in there, we can see the color, we just can't do anything to speed up our being taken out of the jar -- Jelly Beans can't speak.