Just built a new rig last night:

i5 2500k
    Asrock Extreme 4 mobo
    8 gb Mushkin ram DDR3 1600 (7-9-8-24)
    HD 6850 card
    23" Samsung LED
    150 gb Velociraptor HD (till the new SSD's are released)
    Windows7 64bit
    750w PSU
    Antec 900 two case
    Last edited by Wingwraith; 2011-02-14 at 03:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Except that's not multi-monitor....tiling multiple screens onto a single giant chassis doesn't count, it still just amounts to one giant screen. Most importantly, you can't "bend" those around view like you can with 3 individual monitors :P
    My point was that LCD/LED technology simply doesn't allow for truly edge-less monitors, atleast a centimeter or two is needed to project the grid of pixels. A new method of display is needed >_<
    It is multi-monitor capable. The tiling screens have the ability to be run as a matrix of displays or as individually run displays, and for the most part they have standard mountings (VESA) in addition to their tiling mounts.

---------- Post added 2011-02-14 at 08:52 PM ----------

Both screens are plugged into the gaming PC, but little to no point in using two screens like that for the games I play (Though Supreme Command was fun). The right screen is also plugged into the browser PC and the Playstation2 (multi-cable that goes out, lets me plug in PS2/PS3/Wii/360) and the Megadrive hidden behind Altair.

If nothing else, this exercise was a damn good excuse to make me tidy everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    It is multi-monitor capable. The tiling screens have the ability to be run as a matrix of displays or as individually run displays, and for the most part they have standard mountings (VESA) in addition to their tiling mounts.

Both screens are plugged into the gaming PC, but little to no point in using two screens like that for the games I play (Though Supreme Command was fun). The right screen is also plugged into the browser PC and the Playstation2 (multi-cable that goes out, lets me plug in PS2/PS3/Wii/360) and the Megadrive hidden behind Altair.

If nothing else, this exercise was a damn good excuse to make me tidy everything up.
    You should use Synergy+, and you can control both computers with one mouse. It will make it seem like it's dual monitor, you just drag the mouse off the side of the screen on the primary, and it pops up on the other.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    What the heck, I'll play along...

Prodigy (desktop):
    E8500, 4GBram, 6TB HDD, MSI mobo and MSI nvidia 260GTX twinfrozr (how there are still people dumb enough to buy ati, I can't grasp.)

Skinlab (server 1):
    AMD64 3200+, 6GB ram, nvidia 6600GTX, 6TB HDD, this one has a chieftec fulltower, wich used to be my desktop case
    (dragging a 20kg-when empty- case to lans ftl )
    Chimaira (server 2):
    AMD64 3200+, 4GB ram, nvidia 6600GTX, 8TB HDD

By this summer my desktop should be updated...
    What do your servers do?
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    You should use Synergy+, and you can control both computers with one mouse. It will make it seem like it's dual monitor, you just drag the mouse off the side of the screen on the primary, and it pops up on the other.
    Does it work with keyboards as well? Seems like an interesting idea, for sure. What about full screen applications like WoW, how does it work with that?

[Edit] Installed and trying it atm - apart from the usual DX11 fullscreen spazzing, seems to work wonderfully. It lets me lock my cursor to either screen with the scroll-lock button. Fantastic.
    Last edited by FlawlessSoul; 2011-02-15 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    "LED" Technology is nothing more than a different backlight for an LCD, not a different Display Tech at all.
    Actually you're wrong, LED (OLED) is a different display tech from what we use now and the person you quoted was talking about LCD/LED which is something completely different all together.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by icanwait View Post
    Actually you're wrong, LED (OLED) is a different display tech from what we use now and the person you quoted was talking about LCD/LED which is something completely different all together.
    It's pretty funny though how stores advertise LED monitors when they are only LED backlit. Granted it's better but it's still misleading. I'm not replacing my screens until OLED is more affordable personally.

You could also use remote desktop (built in Windows RDP or VNC) and get the same results unless you plan to stream netflix. Even then, if your LAN is gigabit, you could do it.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    It's pretty funny though how stores advertise LED monitors when they are only LED backlit. Granted it's better but it's still misleading. I'm not replacing my screens until OLED is more affordable personally.
    Yeah, it's pretty sad especially due to the fact people would still buy them if they were labelled as what they are, the LED light makes a massive difference.

Quote Originally Posted by icanwait View Post
    OLED, Organic LED is a totally different tech, yes. But what you see in stores called LED Monitors are nothing more than LED backlit monitors. Still LCDs.

My point is that people seem to be taking these LED backlit monitors as some new display tech, when it's not.

---------- Post added 2011-02-15 at 11:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    You could also use remote desktop (built in Windows RDP or VNC) and get the same results unless you plan to stream netflix. Even then, if your LAN is gigabit, you could do it.
    Not quite, at least not from what i've seen. Synergy+ pretty much makes it like it's a second monitor on your computer. It's nearly that seamless.
    You can't copy/paste files this way obviously, but text works fine. for files you'd have the things networked anyhow.

2-3 years old newspieces / forum posts, you really can't come up with anything better? (Talking about bricking cards, couldn't care less about the other 2)

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    LED backlights have several advantages.

1) They take up much less space. LED backlit panels are much thinner than those with CCFLs. My 2209WA is more than 2 inches deep.
    2) CCFL based panels will use 2-6 tubes typically. LED backlit panels use many, many LEDs...this can result in more even lighting.
    3) More neutral color. CCFLs tend to create warm light.

What's interesting though is that most LED panels are cheaper models. In order to make a truly good LCD panel, you need a good backlight, a good panel type (*-IPS), response time compensation, and factory calibration.

Core 17-930 @ 3.5 Ghz
    6GB Gskill PI 1600
    GTX 260 Superclocked in SLI.
    spinpoint F3 500GB in raid 0
    H50 cpu cooler
    keyboard: Xarmor U9Bl
    Razer naga.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you want to have a discussion of LCD vs LED vs OLED, do it in a new thread. Do not hijack this thread.

Nice set up you're running there. You mind if I ask what mobo block you're using? Is it the EK UD-7 one?
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle View Post
    Nice set up you're running there. You mind if I ask what mobo block you're using? Is it the EK UD-7 one?
    All the important cooling parts are listed on the first image, but yes, it's EK's block designed for the Gigabyte X58A-UD7. The area the blocks cover is very nearly identical and allows the use of the block on both boards. The mosfets are a different layout, however, preventing me from using the mosfet blocks. Doesnt matter, since the fets on the UD3R dont seem to get hot at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sniff sniff im so proud of thread

Quote Originally Posted by SingleCellOrganism View Post

Omg that chair.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Omg that chair.
    You see that setup and the chair is what makes you jealous?

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    You see that setup and the chair is what makes you jealous?
    Agreed.
    It's the couch. I want that couch.
    &nbsp;

All the important cooling parts are listed on the first image, but yes, it's EK's block designed for the Gigabyte X58A-UD7. The area the blocks cover is very nearly identical and allows the use of the block on both boards. The mosfets are a different layout, however, preventing me from using the mosfet blocks. Doesnt matter, since the fets on the UD3R dont seem to get hot at all.
    Sorry I completely missed that in the picture. I see it says that now. My bad :/
    CPU - i7-950 @ 4.1ghz
    GPU - GTX 470 @ 880/1760/2100
    Storage - 2x Crucial C300 64GB SSD Raid 0 / 1x WD CB 1TB / 2x WD CB 640GB
    Memory - 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    PSU - 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro
    Case - Coolermaster HAF X
    CPU Water Block - EK Supreme Nickel/Plexi CPU Water Block
    GPU Water Block - EK GTX 470 Nickel/Plexi GPU Water Block