TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I'm pretty sure VRAM does not stack over SLI nor Crossfire.
    It doesn't. Which is also why HD6990 isn't really 4GiB and GTX590 isn't really 3GiB, but in reality half. 2GiB/1.5GiB per GPU.

Multi-graphic solutions store ones graphical memory in the other/rest of them as well.

It's because memory channels are quite dense, most of the circuit work on the PCB is memory channels into the GPU. It might be easier on a dual gpu card, but I don't see how it would ever be possible through an SLI/Crossfire bridge without seriously increasing the density of it's tracks. Shared memory channels on a single card with multiple GPU's would also lead to a staggering increase in it's footprint.

Might be possible in the future with higher density VRAM modules, smaller GPU construction processes and better materials used in the circuits allowing for them to be smaller with the same thermal and electrical characteristics. Or some sort of shared on board memory controller (similar idea as a RAID controller) that controlled how the GPU's access the VRAM, but that could add a performance overhead that's not acceptable right now.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2011-12-01 at 07:54 PM.

Must... not.... rage.
    Been busy programming tonight. Went to bed at around 5am, not intending to return to design until i woke up. I then decide about 20 minutes later that it might be a good idea to sleep mode the PC... only to find both screens are frozen and nothing is happening no matter what i do.

I reboot, and get Intel RAID boot telling me that an error occured on one of my SSD's. The array appears normal, but one drive, quickly identified, reports an error. I check it's not the cable or (god forbid) the SATA port, and sure enough, it's the drive at fault (one of the new ones as far as i can tell). So, i reconnect the other drives, and boot as normal. SSD's, being the way they are, allow reading when they start to go kaput, but not writing.

It's now 7:15am, and i'm sat here with a face like this;

Literally, the look on my face right now is one of contempt, although my head isn't shaped like a lemon.

I've backed up all of the data, mainly games, save me having to redownload 200GB of data again. I've also reset the drive to normal, but whether that'll fix it or whether i'm gonna have to RMA it is yet to be seen. It could have been a freak error with the cable coming unplugged slightly or something equally weird but i'm now very wary. Of interest, this drive is the only one where it looks as if the small angled part on the SATA power connection is broken off.

I'm considering gluegunning the power connectors to the ports themselves, much like i did with my 200mm fan to my side panel (since positioning for screwing it in was in line with watercooling rad and fan). Now i need sleep, but honestly, that means i'll not wake up until mid-late afternoon, which makes me hate myself.
    Coder, Gamer - IOCube | #Error418MasterRace #ScottBrokeIt
    Knows: Node.js, JS + JQuery, HTML + CSS, Object Pascal, PHP, WQL/SQL

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

Am not sure if this is considered as a gaming setup! but here it is...

Monitor: Dell 24 inch 1920x1200p theexpensife IPS one.
    Keyboard: Cheapo $15 keyboard.
    Mouse:Logitech G9x.

Idle.

Load, Lowest Fan speeds.

Load, Highest Fan Speeds.

Infracted. Please do not post images larger than 800px wide.
    Sorry Corrected.
    Last edited by kot0005; 2011-12-02 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kot0005 View Post
    Am not sure if this is considered as a gaming setup! but here it is...
    I'm gonna go ahead and say anything with a gtx 590 and a i5-2500k that are both on water is considered a gaming/work rig...

nice setup btw.

Quote Originally Posted by kot0005 View Post
    Infracted. Please do not post images larger than 800px wide.
    But its so pretty...
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Must... not.... rage.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I hate it when computer says no. Hope it'll get sorted out, Synthaxx. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    But its so pretty...
    I agree - really nice lightning with the tubing (and that image was the correct size). (The infraction was for the screencaps, which were 1600x1000 images.)

I just realized a derp-factor.

If AMD's new flagship does release in January, when does the actual graphics card appear on the normal consumer market? I mean, Bulldozer and SB-E released, but they took well over a month before shops actually had the damn things.

February or March I'd say, maybe April if it gets delayed. There is a demonstration event on Monday so hopefully it sheds some light on how far along they are in the development process and what kind of time line we can expect for releases. I really want to drop some money on a flagship card, or at least something substantially more powerful then my 6870.

Well, personally I'd love to make the jump to the next generation, watercool it when the block(s) become available, then call it a day on that section for a while ahead. :P

However, I'm not very patient, so entirely depending on when I get my money I might just get the GTX 580 instead, but perhaps the demonstration will make me want to wait.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-12-03 at 03:50 AM.

Here's my setup. Nothing flashy, but it plays everything, BF3 and Skyrim included, on ultra. Built it about a month ago.

I7 2700k[2600k was out of stock] Frio cooler
    Gigabyte Z68[3rd one, will never buy Gigabyte again]
    8gb gskill
    750gb caviar black
    570gtx superclocked
    HAF912
    Corsair 650W PSU
    27" Samsung SA550
    Klipsch 4.1

I'll be adding another gtx570 soon.

Field Marshal
    Finally got all the chance to put her together yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it. Just waiting on the 2nd SSD so I can get some boost from putting them in a raid configuration, but otherwise it's good to go.

Corsair 600T case, took the window off and replaced it with the mesh panel and 4 120mm Enermax T.B. Silence fans
    Corsair H100 CPU cooler w/ 4 x Scythe 120x120x12mm 1.9k RPM slim fans in a push / pull configuration for the radiator
    Asus P9X79 Pro mothboard
    Intel i7-3930k CPU (Socket 2011, 6 physical cores) @ 3.2ghz OC'd to 4.1ghz, stable @ 4.5 just didn't have temp monitor installed until earlier wasn't gonna chance it
    16gb Patriot Gseries DDR3 RAM in quad-channel mode (8x2gb)
    EVGA GeForce GTX580 (1.5gb edition), after it runs stable for a week I'll throw the 2nd one in there
    Kingston HyperX SATA3 120gb SSD (OS & Games) - have a raincheck for a 2nd one to raid, they were just down to the last 1 yesterday =\
    2 x Western Digital 1.5tb SATA2 drives (storage)
    Vantech NexStar USB3 connected SATA dock (more usefulthat you'd think with over 11tb of HD space on my network)
    2 x optical drives (not sure which I'm keeping in there probably just the BR and the DVD-R)
    2 x Scythe fan controlers, a 6 channel and a 4 channel
    OCZ ZX series 1250w power supply, fully modular

Quote Originally Posted by Shaemus View Post
    Finally got all the chance to put her together yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it. Just waiting on the 2nd SSD so I can get some boost from putting them in a raid configuration, but otherwise it's good to go.

Kingston HyperX SATA3 120gb SSD (OS & Games) - have a raincheck for a 2nd one to raid, they were just down to the last 1 yesterday =\

How great is this ssd. It literally makes me happy all fucking day.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaemus View Post
    have a raincheck for a 2nd one to raid, they were just down to the last 1 yesterday =\
    You're gonna love it. RAID0 with SSD's is absolutely ridiculous. RAID0 with HDD's is ridiculous (contrary to Wikipedia telling people games don't see much advantage), but an SSD is more responsive. Likewise, RAID0 with SSD's is even crazier. No need for indexing, although outlook search is still slow even on SSD's.
    Coder, Gamer - IOCube | #Error418MasterRace #ScottBrokeIt
    Knows: Node.js, JS + JQuery, HTML + CSS, Object Pascal, PHP, WQL/SQL

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

RAID0 with HDD's is ridiculous (contrary to Wikipedia telling people games don't see much advantage),
    Yeah tell me about it. With a teeny tiny 120GB SSD I've ended up installing many games and applications on my comparably cheap Caviar Black 1TB x3 RAID0 and have from the looks of it been in top when it comes to fast loading times compared to other people in multiplayer games.

Though still have to wait for them to load so err at least I'm not hindering anybody's gameplay I guess.

RAID'ing SSD's a future project perhaps but I have other upgrades planned atm.
    Obsidian 350D | Intel Core i7 2700K @ 4.8GHz | ASUS Maximus V Gene Z77 | 32GB RAM | Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan | 500GB SSD | 4TB Stripe

Quote Originally Posted by pjdell View Post
    Just ordered this friday, what do you think?

CASE: Raidmax Helios Gaming Mid-Tower
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-2600K
    FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan
    HDD: 120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
    MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
    MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte Z68AP-D3
    VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB

I got all of this plus a $99 corsair h1 headset, a tt esports challenger pro keyboard, and a corsair vengeance mouse for about $1150. I had planned on buying components and building it myself but cyberpower just seemed to have such sweet deals and I didn't think I could build it for cheaper by very much. The liquid cooling was free, and i got double memory upgrade for no additional cost.

I'm a bit worried about the Agility 3 SSD as i've read some bad reviews on them, although some good reviews too though. Also i've had bad luck with Gigabyte mobos in the past and this isn't the nicest you can buy so i'm a little worried on that too.

I am planning on overclocking the 2600k , haven't decided on whether or not to OC the gpu with just the stock fans on it. I do plan on adding a second 6950 as soon as I can afford to.
    Same, I've had a Vertex3 for 6 months now (120GB version, 2.06 old firmware, the 2.15 is supposed to fix most issues though) and when i first used it on my old rig, which was still SATA2 i've had a BSOD once'ish every week.
    I haven't had ANY issues with my current rig though, a SATA3 Asus Sabertooth P67, but sadly, it just seems to depend a lot on how the sandforce drives are willing to work together with your motherboard.

I love the drive, but it's hard to recommend it to anyone considering it's risk basicly, when you pay so much for a drive and you need to depend on luck to have it run properly, it's a bit painful.

You're gonna love it. RAID0 with SSD's is absolutely ridiculous. RAID0 with HDD's is ridiculous (contrary to Wikipedia telling people games don't see much advantage), but an SSD is more responsive. Likewise, RAID0 with SSD's is even crazier. No need for indexing, although outlook search is still slow even on SSD's.
    Know what it's not slow on? A Microsoft Exchange server. xD

Pretty easy to setup a home Exchange server too if you happen to have a copy from MSDNAA like I do. Assuming you have some extra cash for a domain, mail relay server, or a Linode or something.

Also speaking of hard drives, I shoved in two semi-old 640GB Samsung Spinpoint F1's and RAID0'd them for a temporary storage partition (mainly for fraps, downloads, etc). Cableing in the back is pretty chaotic now haha.

Node 304 | i7 3770 | H77N WIFI | 2x4GiB HyperX 1600 | 2x512GB MX100 | 7870 2GiB | U2711 | 6GV2 | Naga Hex Wrath | Yamaha RX-V550 | Win7 Enterprise
    15" Retina MBP | i7 4960HQ | 16GiB 1600 | 512GB PCIe SSD | IRIS Pro + GT750M | Orochi | OSX 10.9.4

took me a bit to move the fans around cause of ma big hands

http://i.imgur.com/x1nPBl.jpg
    Last edited by Tuca; 2011-12-03 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuca View Post
    took me a bit to move the fans around cause of ma big hands
    how 'modular' is that corsair TXM? I recently bought the seasonic x660 gold for 100 bucks but I can get a tx 650M for about $70.. debating if I should return the seasonic and save some money. what i have read so far though is that the txm has too many cables hardwired and there is very slight advantage of using that over a nonmodular tx 650. is that the case?

I would have been happy with a proper semi modular psu like the corsair HX series instead of a fully modular seasonic but its almost never on sale and I heard the hx 650 is actually eol...dunno if thats true or not.