Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Well, personally I'd love to make the jump to the next generation, watercool it when the block(s) become available, then call it a day on that section for a while ahead. :P

However, I'm not very patient, so entirely depending on when I get my money I might just get the GTX 580 instead, but perhaps the demonstration will make me want to wait.
    I will use my tax rebate to buy a new graphics card in the spring, seems like it will be the best time since there won't be a new series until 2013 and I can still make use of my 6870 pretty well.

I'm just an impatient sort of fella. ._.

/cast revive thread

*cellphone camera sucks I know, am soo sorry*

Pics from initial installation of the Corsair mesh panel for the 650D case. Replacing the window. I think I'll occasionally just switch back to the window just because the mesh panel simply isn't needed for keeping temps in check.. but wth cool thing..

No more camera "flash" so the following pics look well.. very dark..
    I control two fans at a time with an Y-cable from fan controller. Hi-tech.

And the insides since switching to Corsair H100. Push/pull DID fit in a 650D with an ASUS motherboard. I was getting reports that it simply would not.

Obsidian 350D | i7 2700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110 | ASUS Maximus V Gene Z77 | 32GB RAM | Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan @ 1.1Ghz 7Ghz Mem | 500GB SSD | 4TB Stripe

Nice work! Very cool setup you got there.

Fun setup! However, this thread reminds me... what's become of the demonstration of the HD 7970?

Fun setup! However, this thread reminds me... what's become of the demonstration of the HD 7970?
    What demonstration?

Looks like it turned out to be just a rumour :P. No new cards for you!

What in tarnation? :|

Oh well. I've got a full month's scholarship coming in on the 15th and I don't have anything to spend it on. Because rent is down from 2900 to 400 this month as a way to solve the whole bathroom refund thing. This is a most excellent outcome, even if less than the original outcome we were expecting.

Maybe my roomie will dispute it, so I don't want to get ahead of myself at the moment. I'm just going to poke him again 'bout soon'ish and check what's become of his look into it.

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Save it 'til you need it. :]

Don't spend for the sake of spending it. You'll regret it when you can't afford X *and* Y in Feb or whatever.

Eh, I'd always regret purchasing X rather than Y then.

It's also not for the sake of spending it. I don't want to have a upper mid-range card if or when I hop onto watercooling. This seems like a silly plan to me. And honestly, getting more involved than I am already in my computer's hardware is always worth it imo.

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Still think that upgrading a GPU this side of new years is a bad choice, but to each his own. :]

I may not buy it in the midst of Christmas season, as they love selling stuff expensive this month, then cheap in January, but that tends to be products that are shit... -_-
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-12-06 at 04:51 PM.

I may not buy it in the midst of Christmas season, as they love selling stuff expensive this month, then cheap in January, but that tends to be products that are shit... -_-
    dont forget taxes start jan 17 tons of tax time sales.

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    dont forget taxes start jan 17 tons of tax time sales.
    I have no idea what this means, but I don't think it applies to us anyway.

Dreadlord
    i went with a high powered/budget build:P took some healthy corners in some less important areas and went big with the power

My Rig:

Case: Antec v2 two hundred
    Motherboard: Gigabyte z68x-UD3H- B3
    Power Supply: Antec HCG 620
    Processor: Intel Core i5-2500k 4.5GHz no TB
    CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V6GT
    Memory: Corsair CLS9 2x4gb
    Graphics Card 1: Gigabyte 1GB GeForce GTX 560 OC'd to 910mhz
    Hard Drive: 2x320gb Hitachi 5200
    SSD: OCZ agility 3 60gb

External Hardware:
    Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Mouse: Razer Naga
    Headset: TT eSports Shock
    Desktop Speakers: Logitech 2.1
    Monitor 1: 21.5" Acer LCD Display

Well, prices are popping up. About 550 bucks for the HD 7970, 450 for the 7950. And the damned things won't even show in stores before February/March.

This puts it above the GTX 580's 3GB editions in price, so I'm more leaning towards the Gainward GTX 580 3GB (Phantom edition). Or alternatively just the 1.5GB editions, I'm not sure. The more I think about it 3GB seems stupid.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-12-06 at 07:30 PM.

Well, prices are popping up. About 550 bucks for the HD 7970, 450 for the 7950. And the damned things won't even show in stores before February/March.

This puts it above the GTX 580's 3GB editions in price, so I'm more leaning towards the Gainward GTX 580 3GB (Phantom edition). Or alternatively just the 1.5GB editions, I'm not sure.
    That Gainward is a cool looking card!

It's apparently louder than the reference card though. >> And only reason I'd buy it was because it was the cheapest GTX 580 around. I don't want to pay for cooler, brand or warranties if none of them are going to be applicable, as I believe would the case be if I was to watercool it. :U

Although an alternative would be EVGA's own waterblocked series, where you would presumably still maintain a warranty, but they sure like a premium for the product's feature... Which mostly includes the fact it's a complete product with backplate, waterblock, single PCIe slot taken, stock overclocked, etc, so there shouldn't be a need to modify the card itself in any regard I suppose.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-12-06 at 07:41 PM.

Actually, from what I've been reading, it's $450 for the 7970, $350 for the 7950 and then you got the 7990 for $700.

Going to be picking the 7970 up to crossfire with my 6970.

Quote Originally Posted by Adorada View Post
    Actually, from what I've been reading, it's $450 for the 7970, $350 for the 7950 and then you got the 7990 for $700.
    Compare sources? Mine's hardware.no, but how much I'd trust them on it I'm not sure of.

And obviously, it's probably not even the price it will have like a month after release, but by then it's been 1/3rd of a frigging year and I'm not waiting that long.