Dammit, another HAF X recommendation. The case really isn't that amazing. :/
    And temps wise "hard to beat"? I doubt it.

As a rule of thumb from my POV it's about equal to my Level 10 GT, but I'm ultimately not quite satisfied with either case. What makes me happy about one of them makes me unruly about the other. Maybe the 800D is interesting, but I don't know. I'm at the verge of seeing if I can bribe a friend of mine into creating a custom case.

Or rather, bribe him into helping clean up these designs I'm working on so we can literally tell a machine to do it. >>
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2011-12-16 at 10:42 PM.

Is it just me or is almost every case, for full size ATX and bigger, just so darn ugly? I really hate most if not all of the case designs and think it might have to do with their bulkyness and approach that bigger is better because cable arrangement will be easier and you can put your hamster in there.

My next build will probably be mATX (or why not ITX?) with a thunderbolt-attached external unit for the harddrives. Tech is shrinking and so should my desktop machine do too.
    Obsidian 350D | Intel Core i7 2700K @ 4.8GHz | ASUS Maximus V Gene Z77 | 32GB RAM | Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 | 500GB SSD | LG 34" 21:9 34UM95-P

Got a twin 27" monitor today and rearranged my desk a bit:

Twin monitors on the left for my main system (in sig), work lappy and workstation on the right. The twins are Samsung SyncMaster P2770 monitors, the updated HD version on the right. Still working on matching up the color and contrast, they use different configurations, but they do look great!
    Current Gaming Setup: i7-2600K @4.4GHz | Asus P8Z68-V Pro | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz | GTX 770 4GB | Samsung P2770HD x2

Well, sketchy about the last part, but I can understand moving to a mini-ATX or even -ITX. Just grab one of those tiny cases that have two PCI slots and get a dual-slot GPU I guess.

I'm personally looking into seeing how much I'd have to pay up for watercooling, but this case turns out to be a bit limited in the end due to only really having two fans that will natively support radiators. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Organoth View Post
    While I think there could be some improvements to the HAF X, such as quick release vs thumb screws, it's sort of hard to beat the air flow and temps offered by the case. Add in the fact that it's using almost exclusive 200mm or larger fans, which are much quieter, there's no other case I would recommend over it. The 140mm rear exhaust and my GPU are the only fans I can hear running.
    actually i can't stand the HAF, I'm referring the new Cosmos II

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    actually i can't stand the HAF, I'm referring the new Cosmos II
    http://www.corsair.com/pc-cases/obsi...ries-800d.html

only downside is no sata3 on the hotswap bays, so an SSD will have to go elsewhere. But if I didn't already have my Silverstone, I'd be buying that one.

...Did you click the image in his sig, TradewindNQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    ...Did you click the image in his sig, TradewindNQ?
    Nope! Did now. Not sure why he'd want a different case then :P

Dorky mistake. I didn't know until after your post when I thought, "Hey, doesn't Cyanotical have his rig in the sig..." and, avast, there it is!

Wasn't the Cosmos II supposed to be released like 2 months ago? (Back in October)
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Sennheiser HD598 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

$300 for a case that does not even have a GPU cooler? That case only works for people who LC their GPUs.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

That does not have a GPU cooler? Mind clarifying? That it doesn't have a dedicated GPU cooling fan you mean?

Corsair 800D is particularly targeted towards watercooling, but there's nothing really stopping one from using the 800D. Temperatures should never be high unless your cooler is bad.

Having owned a 700D and worked on the 800Ds I can say that while they are suited for watercooling, they're not out-and-out designed for it. Honestly, their airflow design is lacking for such an expensive case. They're very well built, however. I do like mine (despite what I've done to it!). I look forward to seeing some more full-towers from Corsair in the future.

A few small tweaks would have made a much better case (120mm intake behind front bezel at bottom below the hotswaps/divider, full vents along the bottom of the case with a filter that can be removed from the front, for a start. The full length vent, along with a lower cage that was screwed rather than riveted in would have made fitting a radiator down there straightforward).

Yeah, I noticed my Level 10 GT has a problem when it comes to watercooling. Lovely case with good solutions for fan filters, but dammit, I can't fit more than two radiators on. A 120 or 140 and 200mm or 240.

Yeah, I noticed my Level 10 GT has a problem when it comes to watercooling. Lovely case with good solutions for fan filters, but dammit, I can't fit more than two radiators on. A 120 or 140 and 200mm or 240.
    hence why i want the Cosmos II, the 800D is nice, but its the first real answer to the original Cosmos, the HAF is okay, but it lacks the nice features and build quality of the Cosmos, and even the 800D, while a modern spec case, is just a shadow compared to the Cosmos RC-1000 in features and build quality, the only reason I went with the 800D was that it is about the only case on the market that seemed like an acceptable replacement

the Cosmos II was supposed to be released in october, but the official line is that CM wants the case to be perfect, and once they feel it is ready, they will release it, considering the following behind the Cosmos series, its a wise move

oh, and there is nothing wrong with using SATA-3 drives in the hotswap bays on the 800D, there is no difference in medium between SATA-2 and SATA-3

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

That does not have a GPU cooler? Mind clarifying? That it doesn't have a dedicated GPU cooling fan you mean?

Corsair 800D is particularly targeted towards watercooling, but there's nothing really stopping one from using the 800D. Temperatures should never be high unless your cooler is bad.
    Yes a dedicated GPU fan is what I am referring to, of which the HAF X has a large one stock and has the ability to have a second one installed. The GPU fan does help, I've never once seen temps as good as I have now with my HAF X. I barely break 60c and that's only occasionally in certain games. Yes I know up to 80c is safe but I'll take 60c over 80c any day of the week as it helps keep other case temps and my room temp down.

And on the note about the SSD Cyanotical is correct, one of the best overall SSD is the Intel 320 and it's only SATA II. Because of it's performance it ends up being faster then some SATA III models. The data transfer rate is not where you will notice the biggest difference in performance.
    Cooler Master HAF X : Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz : Corsair A70 cooler : 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP : ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO/Gen3 : EVGA GTX GTX 670 FTW SIG2

And on the note about the SSD Cyanotical is correct, one of the best overall SSD is the Intel 320 and it's only SATA II. Because of it's performance it ends up being faster then some SATA III models. The data transfer rate is not where you will notice the biggest difference in performance.
    no what i mean is that the connectors and cabling are the same, you can use a SATA-2 cable with a SATA-3 drive with no ill affect, and the connectors in the hot swap bays are just male-to-male connectors

in fact official SATA 3 cables are the same as SATA-2 cables, they may just have an extra bit of EMI shielding

Well they are still both correct and valid points.

Yes a dedicated GPU fan is what I am referring to, of which the HAF X has a large one stock and has the ability to have a second one installed. The GPU fan does help, I've never once seen temps as good as I have now with my HAF X. I barely break 60c and that's only occasionally in certain games. Yes I know up to 80c is safe but I'll take 60c over 80c any day of the week as it helps keep other case temps and my room temp down.
    A dedicated GPU fan is all good (I have one too in my Lvl10GT, and I can say with a straight face its fan is better than HAF X), but the damned fans in HAF X have ridiculously short cables.

Pissed me off to no end. They used molex connectors to make the cable longer, sure, but that is a rather moot point in my opinion. It wasn't necessarily a problem finding mobo fan slots in range for the fans though, but the sidepanel was a real pain in the ass when the cable for its fan barely reached the nearest fan slot.

I like the Lvl10GT's door, where the fan on it is connected to the case by a contact surface that it meets when the door is shut. Prefer how the HAF X's other sidepanel is though, but I'd moreso love ala 650D/800D's panels even more.

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Nah, I meant that 12GB is overkill, which is what I'm upgrading to. I know 6GB is enough, but I got a good deal on the memory (25% off for buying the other stuff from Newegg).
    12GB = never having to worry about your i7 being throttled while multitasking. Hell when I was using 4GB on my i7 for a short while, it was stupidly slow trying to load multiple large programs at the same time because of the bottleneck in lack of RAM. Now that I have 12GB I can start up like 4 big applications without it hanging.