Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Can you expand on this? I'm curious
    There is no difference, the 2600k has unlocked multipliers, which I believe with the right chipset motherboard, you can do yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    i7-2600 instead of i7-2600k because I need some of the additional functionality of the 2600 which the 2600k doesn't have, for my work I do from home, at the sacrifice of overclockabiliy.
    There is no such functionality. o.Ô
    If you're still able to, I'd return it for the k model.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    There is no difference, the 2600k has unlocked multipliers, which I believe with the right chipset motherboard, you can do yourself.
    Skelly's perfectly aware last I recall, but it's always interesting to hear what some people believe is the difference.

Can you expand on this? I'm curious
    I won't expand on what I do for work, but there's a few things which the 2600 supports which the 2600k doesn't. Intel Trusted Execution and Virtualisation for Direct I/O (which are both interesting if you're working on better DRM), and vPro which has a multitude of applications, such as out-of-band OS-independent VNC control, and various virtualisation advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    There is no such functionality. o.Ô
    Au Contraire! But keep in mind, this isn't just a gaming rig, but I also use it as my gaming rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    There is no difference, the 2600k has unlocked multipliers
    Almost right, except for the part about there being no difference. There are a multitude of differences between the chips and technologies available on them. Quite right that the 2600k has unlocked multipliers. This is widely considered the only difference as it is the only difference that matters to the majority of home users, but it's not the sole difference between the chips.

For comparison:
    i7-2600 - http://ark.intel.com/products/52213
    i7-2600k - http://ark.intel.com/products/52214

Edit: Also, the 2600 only has the IntelHD 2000 graphics for accelerated 2D (if you're not using a video card). The 2600k has the IntelHD 3000 graphics chipset instead.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2012-01-23 at 11:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

I have to be quite plain: Even after reading the tooltip of the features that are apparently on the non-k model I find myself only barely more aware of what the hell the damned feature does.

...wait, isn't Trusted Execution Technology just a frigging sandbox?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I have to be quite plain: Even after reading the tooltip of the features that are apparently on the non-k model I find myself only barely more aware of what the hell the damned feature does.
    Hehehe, well - it does nothing for gaming whatsoever (vpro is largely business deployment facing, and testing [or using, in a deployment scenario] Trusted Execution is only for specific scenarios which again - don't involve gamers), so perhaps I shouldn't have even bothered mentioning it to folks here. Now we've got half a page with largely boring information. :P

More system specs!

EDIT:
    ...wait, isn't Trusted Execution Technology just a frigging sandbox?
    Roughly speaking, largely, yes! A hardware based sandbox which is un-interceptible by the PC, including using the PRNG on the ATM which lets the TPM produce private keys for said sand-boxed applications which can't be read by the user. Ie, hardware-based DRM on-chip.

To expand, it's lets you write software which is locked to a particular PC at the CPU level. Even the data produced by the software can be locked down in this way, so there's no threat of the data being removed from the premises on a USB stick, etc. As long as the PC is secure, so is your software/data - depending on which is more important to you (or both!).
    Last edited by Janaa; 2012-01-23 at 11:42 PM.
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Almost right, except for the part about there being no difference. There are a multitude of differences between the chips and technologies available on them. Quite right that the 2600k has unlocked multipliers. This is widely considered the only difference as it is the only difference that matters to the majority of home users, but it's not the sole difference between the chips.

For comparison:
    i7-2600 - http://ark.intel.com/products/52213
    i7-2600k - http://ark.intel.com/products/52214

Edit: Also, the 2600 only has the IntelHD 2000 graphics for accelerated 2D (if you're not using a video card). The 2600k has the IntelHD 3000 graphics chipset instead.
    I think the biggest buzzkill for enthusiasts on a budget is the lack of VT-d on K series CPUs.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I think the biggest buzzkill for enthusiasts on a budget is the lack of VT-d on K series CPUs.
    HAHAHA - i detect sarcasm?

Etc,
    Boring information? I find it quite interesting. Except I discovered at least one of the features are clearly meant for a very specific industry given the unfamiliar terminology.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Nothing too special just something I put together, on a small budget, that will work until I move within then next year or so.

MB: ASUS P8H61-M PRO
    SSD: Crucial m4 64GB
    Too bad that motherboard doesn't support SATA III. Poor bottlenecked SSD! I do hope in the future you plan to get an H67 (at least) chipset motherboard so you can use the SSD to its full functions, otherwise that looks like a nice clean rig!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    it lets you write software which is locked to a particular PC at the CPU level. Even the data produced by the software can be locked down in this way, so there's no threat of the data being removed from the premises on a USB stick, etc. As long as the PC is secure, so is your software/data - depending on which is more important to you (or both!).
    That is SOOOO cool!! (actually)
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

10+ Year Old Account
    That is SOOOO cool!! (actually)
    TPM based encryption does the same thing

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    HAHAHA - i detect sarcasm?
    No. I actually hate not having I/O virtualization extensions on my 2500K. >:|
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Here's mine guys

CPU: Intelcore 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

RAM: 3 GB DDR2-SDRAM

Graphic card: MSI Twin Frozer II

MotherBoard: IPIBL-LA(Berkeley)

PSU: Corsair AX850

HDD: WD 320 GB

CASE: Corsair Graphite 600T white

Ok some of you are going to scream "OVERKILL" or maybe just "wtf just happen"

Well the deal here is that some time ago i started to read this section of the forum and realized how easy it was to build a computer myself

Did quite amount of research especially the about cases and I just felt in love with the Corsair graphite 600T white.

Then one day on my way home from school i thought I'd swing by the local hardware store and they had it on sale for a "good price" the salesman told me, well it was a combo with the AX850, ye right everything is cheaper online so after a fair amount of time talking to this guy i went home and went online and found it. He didn't lie it was cheap well for the combo it was cheap so the next day i went back with the intention of buy the lot. I walked in and the same guy came up to me and i told him that i wanted to buy the combo. He looked like a bit sad and told me that it was no longer for sale as a combo and the price tag was way higher now for either of them. I was a bit disappointed and just started talking to him again and after yet another fair amount of time his boss comes up to us and i told him my situation, he looked at me and smiled "guess we can extend that combo for just one day" i was so happy!!

So now you got the story about overkill PSU but what about the GPU? well i would have bought everything else at once as one is suppose to but.

One of my class mate bought a really nice rig just before xmas and he got the parts just in time for him to look at it and then go away for the holiday, kinda sad to have everything ready to build but don't have the opportunity to put it together. The rig had a 560 TI and long story short his parents wanted to surprise him and gave him a GTX 590, ended up buying it from him for half the price. again happy me

So what i need now is a new MoBo, CPU, RAM, CPU, cpu cooler and maybe a SSD.

Sry for bad light in this pic :/

Hope you enjoy this and expect a followup at some point.
    Last edited by mmocad6adc97cd; 2012-01-24 at 10:37 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a 780 watt Thermaltake Comet PSU, and I doubt I will need to replace it unless I did a Crossfire of two HD7970's or something similar.

Woohoo! My waterblock and the watercooling setup have shipped! However, the case was set back by a week now. Got the mail earlier today. Motherf-...

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azome View Post
    Graphic card: MSI Twin Frozer II
    PSU: Corsair AX850
    What is the GPU? The actual chip? =S Like GTX 560 Ti/AMD Radeon 6950... etc.

Probably more wattage than you need, but eh. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    What is the GPU? The actual chip? =S Like GTX 560 Ti/AMD Radeon 6950... etc.

Probably more wattage than you need, but eh. :P
    He said it in the story at the end. He bought a 560ti from his buddy for half price.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Too bad that motherboard doesn't support SATA III. Poor bottlenecked SSD! I do hope in the future you plan to get an H67 (at least) chipset motherboard so you can use the SSD to its full functions, otherwise that looks like a nice clean rig!
    Last time I checked my SSD is connected through a SATA 6Gb/s connector and cable, unless I'm missing something? My board should come with 2 x SATA 6Gb/s and 4 x SATA 3Gb/s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Update your Firmware. Though in hindsight, those are really good speeds. o.o

NVM, didn't read. Yeah, that's past SATA II bottleneck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Update your Firmware. Though in hindsight, those are really good speeds. o.o

NVM, didn't read. Yeah, that's past SATA II bottleneck.
    Thanks didn't notice the firmware update until you said something. Sorry I'm confused, are you saying there is a bottleneck occurring or not?