Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    It's solid and will do you as well as you can expect from a gaming notebook. I recommended it to a friend, and he absolutely adores it. (it's ugly though. )
    I sorta dig the vents in the back, looks kinda sleek. I hear it's pretty damn heavy though and won't fit in a normal 15" notebook case/bag thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonsurge View Post
    ...on a whim for like, $1100 I guess, idk I didn't really check, will it perform great for gaming? I looked at like, 2 reviews or something, both said that it was doing great on games like SWTOR and BF3/CoDw/e.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    You just spent $1100 on a whim, not knowing much of anything about it? I want your wallet

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    You just spent $1100 on a whim, not knowing much of anything about it? I want your wallet
    You're probably right, I bought it because I thought it looked cool and I remember reading somewhere that ASUS makes good gaming notebooks.

About my wallet, my job lately boils down to me teaching 18-22 year olds how to read ancient hieroglyphs. It used to be more than that, but that's what fills my wallet (actually, I don't ever carry cash haha). I figured with those huge heat vents in the back, the laptop wouldn't ever overheat (something I keep experiencing with the last 8 notebooks I've had, I guess desert heat has that effect sometimes.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I posted a huge fucking response to that guy's G53 laptop thread and now it's gone. Fuck.

Well to sum it up, Asus G53 = very good laptop. That is all.

edit: reply found, thanks Tetris.

It's an Asus G53 series, nothing more needs to be said really. i7 2670QM + GTX560M + 8GB RAM, you can't really get better performance than that short of spending a colossal amount on something with a 580M/6990M that burns a hole through your lap while deafening you. I would personally stick a 240gb SSD in there and call it a day...I've always wanted a G53 series but they tend to cost 2x more here so I couldn't afford it.

Obviously you're not going to get BF3 running at anywhere near max settings at 1080p, but it should handle Medium alright.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-05-23 at 02:21 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

I sorta dig the vents in the back, looks kinda sleek. I hear it's pretty damn heavy though and won't fit in a normal 15" notebook case/bag thing.
    It is heavier than normal, and has a rather.. wedge-like shape. It will fit some, not the slim-fit cases though.

But yes, you've heard correctly. They do make some of the best Gaming laptops on the market. For an OEM, likely top #2.

---------- Post added 2012-05-23 at 04:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I posted a huge fucking response to that guy's G53 laptop thread and now it's gone. Fuck.

Well to sum it up, Asus G53 = very good laptop. That is all.
    Sorry about that. I merged it before you pressed send. :|
    I can't actually locate it. I'll see if I can find it in the nether.

10+ Year Old Account
    edit: yay reply found.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-05-23 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Nps, don't worry about it >_< it wasn't that long. I over-rage sometimes :P
    Thanks for the answer at least. I just hope it can handle heat well.

It is heavier than normal, and has a rather.. wedge-like shape. It will fit some, not the slim-fit cases though.

But yes, you've heard correctly. They do make some of the best Gaming laptops on the market. For an OEM, likely top #2.

---------- Post added 2012-05-23 at 04:14 AM ----------

Sorry about that. I merged it before you pressed send. :|
    I can't actually locate it. I'll see if I can find it in the nether.
    Pretty excited. I've gone through a couple Alienwares and 3 XPS laptops due to heat damage. This one looks far more sturdy. Hopefully that translates into better heat management or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial
    It's an Asus G53 series, nothing more needs to be said really. i7 2670QM + GTX560M + 8GB RAM, you can't really get better performance than that short of spending a colossal amount on something with a 580M/6990M that burns a hole through your lap while deafening you. I would personally stick a 240gb SSD in there and call it a day...I've always wanted a G53 series but they tend to cost 2x more here so I couldn't afford it.

Obviously you're not going to get BF3 running at anywhere near max settings at 1080p, but it should handle Medium alright.
    Found it!
    Bad forum, first my homework, now peoples posts?

(Also, the G53 supports adding a second hard drive without removing the other)

---------- Post added 2012-05-23 at 04:20 AM ----------

Thanks for the answer at least. I just hope it can handle heat well.
    Probably as good as you will find in laptops. It seems to run rather cool for my friend Fredrik.
    &nbsp;

Found it!
    Bad forum, first my homework, now peoples posts?

(Also, the G53 supports adding a second hard drive without removing the other)
    Oooo tetris is apparently a pro at scouring the nether haha. Pretty in-depth paragraph, although ironically enough I can read ancient Hieroglyphs but I have next to zero computer knowledge. I wonder what a 240gb SSD is. Sounds cool though.

Oooo tetris is apparently a pro at scouring the nether haha. Pretty in-depth paragraph, although ironically enough I can read ancient Hieroglyphs but I have next to zero computer knowledge. I wonder what a 240gb SSD is. Sounds cool though.
    This is going a bit off-topic by now, but an SSD is basically a Solid State Drive.
    It's a disc made of flash/NAND memory chips, and not composed of a spinning disc read through magnetics. They are rather expensive, but they are immensely faster (550~MiB/sec compared to 80~MiB/sec, although 4K and the lack of access speeds are the true heroes, as well as the inability to get defragmented. But that is overcourse, so just look at the readspeeds for now! ), so your loading screens and starting windows will be cut to a fraction. Beyond that, they have rather low storage capacity, esp for the price. But they are better for laptops, since it doesn't contain moving parts, so it's a whole lot harder to break (you could potentially be playing basket ball with it and still have it work), where a mechanical is frail to any kind of physical shock. It's also more silent, cooler, doesn't make noise and draws less power.

If you have further questions, feel free to PM me o/
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148449
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167055 are examples.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-05-23 at 02:34 AM.
    &nbsp;

This is going a bit off-topic by now, but an SSD is basically a Solid State Drive.
    It's a disc made of flash/NAND memory chips, and not composed of a spinning disc read through magnetics. They are rather expensive, but they are immensely faster (550~MiB/sec compared to 80~MiB/sec, although 4K and the lack of access speeds are the true heroes, as well as the inability to get defragmented. But that is overcourse, so just look at the readspeeds for now! ), so your loading screens and starting windows will be cut to a fraction. Beyond that, they have rather low storage capacity, esp for the price. But they are better for laptops, since it doesn't contain moving parts, so it's a whole lot harder to break (you could potentially be playing basket ball with it and still have it work), where a mechanical is frail to any kind of physical shock. It's also more silent, cooler, doesn't make noise and draws less power.

If you have further questions, feel free to PM me o/
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148449
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167055 are examples.
    Interesting. Sorry for the borderline off-topic. No moving parts is definitely a plus in my book considering how very often I move around.

Back on topic, order is being "Shipped soon", so I'll definitely be putting my new G52SX through it's gaming paces in my large amount of downtime.

Slightly changed build:

Case: Coolermaster HAF 922 Red Limited edition

CPU: Core i7 2600K @ 4,5ghz
    Heatsink: Arctic Freezer 13 Pro
    Mobo: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR3 16gb
    Gfx: AMD Radeon HD 7850 Crossfire
    SSD: Corsair Force 3 240gb
    HDDs: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb + 2x older 500gb drives (I think they're some WD models )

Basically what I did from my previous build was that I sold my old GTX 480s and picked up HD 7850s.
    Figured I'd sell them now that they're still worth a little and I'll reduce my power consumption to a fraction of what those beasts ate

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgloom View Post
    Figured I'd sell them now that they're still worth a little and I'll reduce my power consumption to a fraction of what those beasts ate
    No kidding!
    What PSU are you using? And how do you feel about the performance after the shift?
    &nbsp;

No kidding!
    What PSU are you using? And how do you feel about the performance after the shift?
    I'm positively surprised so far with it, because I read about some issues with Crossfire setups (Micro-stuttering etc)....and still I bought a crossfire set - a bit silly huh?

But so far I haven't had issues. Skyrim is basically the only game that runs terribly with Crossfire on, I think thats a problem with the drivers. Then again the game runs maxed out easily with just 1 of the cards so np there

So far I'm very happy with the performance, had them for a bit over 3 weeks now.

Edit: Missed your PSU question sorry! Running a Zalman 850W one that was on sale in a local store. Its basically this one but I think its 1 model "older": http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Pr...ad.asp?idx=404

A bit of an overkill for the dual HD 7850s, but it was needed for GTX 480 SLI
    Last edited by Nightgloom; 2012-05-23 at 06:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heck yes it was needed for 480 SLI :P those power hungry beasts. Bet your computer stopped outputting the heat equivalent to a nuclear reactor and became a lot cooler and quieter with those 7850's too!

And yes, the terrible Skyrim performance is driver related. AMD continue to fail to release a proper set of drivers for crossfire Skyrim, it's getting a bit stupid because they look really bad in benchmarks...

...negative scaling lol.

Yeah I'm pretty shocked that there still is not a working crossfire profile for Skyrim

Other than that I dont have a lot of complaints, the 12.4 drivers seem to crash the system every time I switch Crossfire either on or off in the Catalyst control center, but if I dont touch it its all mighty and fine.

Anyway, don't wish to drag this further off topic!

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 AM3
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 4.0GHz (1.425V)
    GPU: Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core 1280MB @ 900MHz Core/ 2100MHz Memory (1.063V)
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB
    HDD1: WD Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
    HDD2: WD Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EADS)
    HDD3: WD Caviar Green 1TB (WD10EADS)
    HDD4: WD Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EADS)
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550W
    CPU Heatsink: Xigmatek Gaia SD1283
    Case: Fractal Design R3 Titanium Grey
    Last edited by Berserker Cronus; 2012-05-23 at 02:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Cronus View Post
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 AM3
    CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 BE @ 4.0GHz (1.425V)
    GPU: Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core 1280MB @ 900MHz Core/ 2100MHz Memory (1.063V)
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB
    HDD1: WD Caviar Black 1TB (WD1001FALS)
    HDD2: WD Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EADS)
    HDD3: WD Caviar Green 1TB (WD10EADS)
    HDD4: WD Caviar Green 2TB (WD20EADS)
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-550VX 550W
    Case: Fractal Design R3 Titanium Grey
    Nice, but we demand pictures! :-)

Alright, but these aren't the best quality. They were taken on my cellphone with its cruddy 1.3 Megapixel camera.

Additional Specs:
    Monitor: Dell ST2310 23 Inch 1080p LCD
    Speakers: Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
    Keyboard: Logitech K120

The notebook is an Acer Aspire Timeline (AS3810T-6376). And yes, I know the desk is a dirty, unfinished mess. I really need to do something about that.

I've got a Gelid Icy Vision VGA cooler in the mail to arrive tomorrow. I really love the look of my GPU, but not the temperatures. Here's to hoping it fits the 448 edition alright. The DVI ports are stacked on top of one another, and there are a couple rogue capacitors.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-05-23 at 02:29 PM.

not bad but dear god man spread those speakers around and for best bass put your sub in a corner on the ground, desktop will have rattling and such giving a fake distortion sound or covering the crackling up.