So my brother's components arrived earlier (hence my replaced RAM). On that occasion we decided we'd set up a ghetto-rig until the Cosmos II arrives. We had the very awkward moment when we unboxed the 3930k and realized it didn't come with a stock cooler. After a call, we found a guy I know had an NH-D14 SE2011 still unopened, so we bought that from him...

Specs
    Intel i7 3930k
    Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
    Asus P9X79 Deluxe (model chosen for wifi)
    Corsair Dominator 32GB, 1600MHz @ 1.5v (4x8GB)
    Corsair Force 3 240GB
    EVGA GTX 680
    Corsair AX 850

The case, a Cosmos II, is still missing.
    Without further ado, picturez

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Man that thing is seriously long. Forgotten how much shorter they've really gotten!!

What case?
    Define XL. It's currently my HyperV server case... so I'm about to have some downtime.

Asus P9X79 Deluxe (model chosen for wifi)
    Hissssssssssss.
    Statism: Total bliss is just one more regulation away.

Man that thing is seriously long. Forgotten how much shorter they've really gotten!!

What case?
    The newer 6990 isn't shorter for all I know ;o AMD dual GPU cards are long ^^
    Obsidian 350D | i7 2700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110 | ASUS Maximus V Gene Z77 | 32GB RAM | Nvidia Geforce GTX Titan @ 1.1Ghz 7Ghz Mem | 500GB SSD | 4TB Stripe

Also, all parts removed!

Statism: Total bliss is just one more regulation away.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Hissssssssssss.
    ^This.

Also, wth do you have sitting on top of his PSU during bloody testing?!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Hissssssssssss.
    Well, it was a relatively minor price leap that was roughly the equivalent of what a PCIe card would've cost... and cable is alas not yet an option here. '-'

^This.

Also, wth do you have sitting on top of his PSU during bloody testing?!
    That's the USB DVD drive. The PSU was sitting on the side, fan facing the mobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    fan facing the mobo.
    Doesn't it exhaust hot air out onto your mobo?

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Doesn't it exhaust hot air out onto your mobo?
    No, the powersupply's fan -draws- air through the big fan. Ie it -intakes- hot air from the mobo. Strangely, the fan doesn't spin though. Not sure if it's just not enough load on it or if it's faulty yet...

Probably not under enough load to heat up enough for it to need the fan on.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Probably not under enough load to heat up enough for it to need the fan on.
    I'm thinking that too, but it was somewhat eerie, lol.

After having my worries taken care of by a handful of awesomesauce guys in the Computer Build Help section, I finally had a "midsummer Christmas"-moment after a 72-hour delay (the online store I bought the parts from had a datacenter failure the day before they would otherwise have sent them to me, argh!)...

• Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Enforcer
    • Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX550M
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
    • CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
    • Heat Sink Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
    • Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB (Kit w/2x 4GB, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5v)
    • Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB PhysX CUDA
    • Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24B5ST DVD±RW Writer
    • Solid State Drive: Crucial m4 256 Gb 2.5" Solid State Disk
    • Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
    • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

People are probably turning in their future graves at the lovely result of my first-time attempt at thermal compound application. It was probably also the one thing I was most nerveous about with the whole self-build and not using a stock cooler solution, with the Interwebs having various examples of the best way to do it and "less being more", but I went with how the installation leaflet told me how to do it. Not that I have any idea about ideal temperatures, but I think it works well enough; core temperatures at idle are about 32°C and slightly above 62°C a few hours into a Prime95 blend test.

Cable management I sort of gave up on half-way through... meh.

I had a lot of problems with the computer freezing irregularly; sometimes I couldn't even make it into BIOS, other times it would happen after a short or long time in BIOS or Windows. According to Google I was far from the only one having/having had that problem. Long story short... "BCLK at 100.1" seems to have been my savior. Phew! Need to cancel my RMA request on Monday.
    Ringko (EU) - Okgnir (EU) - Ringko (US)

A GTX 680 and i7-3930K, even both idling, should draw enough power to trigger the fan, I would suspect.

A GTX 680 and i7-3930K, even both idling, should draw enough power to trigger the fan, I would suspect.
    Not especially. Both have various power-throttling when idle. And with 850w it's probably set to begin spinning at ca 300w is what I'd guess off the top of my head.

Not especially. Both have various power-throttling when idle. And with 850w it's probably set to begin spinning at ca 300w is what I'd guess off the top of my head.
    Pretty sure the fan is not set for such a high load, it's probably like most other hybrid on/off PSU fans, and it's at a specific wattage, regardless of what the PSU can actually do. What the PSU can actually do is something to be disregarded, as when you think about it, at 300 watts, it would still be getting quite hot in there. I bet it's around 100-200 watts, for most of these hybrid PSUs - though it would certainly be something to look up and study.

Pretty sure the fan is not set for such a high load, it's probably like most other hybrid on/off PSU fans, and it's at a specific wattage, regardless of what the PSU can actually do. What the PSU can actually do is something to be disregarded, as when you think about it, at 300 watts, it would still be getting quite hot in there. I bet it's around 100-200 watts, for most of these hybrid PSUs - though it would certainly be something to look up and study.
    True. I think Seasonic originally had them start spinning at around 250w IIRC though. Either way, I don't think the CPU and GPU at idle actually exceed 100w. o_o

Is what anandtech had to say about the subject

Test setup [email protected], EVGA X79 motherboard, Samsung 430 (guess that is an SSD), 1866MHz ripjaws RAM 8-10-9-26
    on page: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/n...-680-review/19
    Last edited by Butler Log; 2012-07-21 at 07:45 PM.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    The AX850 doesn't kick its fan in until 75% load depending on the temperature of its components.
    I'm surprised you're all surprised by it. Just wait until it starts to coil whine instead. :P

And how can you not know the X79 CPus doesn't come with a stock heatsink by now? D:

@ Ringko. Nice build. Don't like the quality of the picture or the cable management though.
    Is that a Model M?

Okay. So I was off by 10w. Derp. :B

---------- Post added 2012-07-21 at 07:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    And how can you not know the X79 CPus doesn't come with a stock heatsink by now? D:
    It just didn't occur to me, lol.

Okay. So I was off by 10w. Derp. :B

---------- Post added 2012-07-21 at 07:53 PM ----------

It just didn't occur to me, lol.
    Look at the size of the bloody box the CPU comes in!!!

Also, off by 10w? You said 300! 75% load on the 850w is a bloody 637.50 watts. O_O

Look at the size of the bloody box the CPU comes in!!!
    The picture looked like a frigging illustration, not an actual product, lol.

Also, off by 10w? You said 300! 75% load on the 850w is a bloody 637.50 watts. O_O
    When saying off by 10w, I mean I was saying I don't think it exceeds 100w. It's apparently expected to be at 112w.