Mobo: Asus p8z77-v
    Case:Cooler master haf 912
    PSU: Corsair 750TX
    Ram;16gb Corsair vengence ddr3
    Graphics card: EVGA 560 ti 2gb
    HDD: 1tb western digital
    SSD: OCZ vertex 3 120gb

Quote Originally Posted by Fierae View Post
    It does indeed, they may state it as a '4GB' model, but each core can only access 2GB. Due to the multiple cores processing alternate frames, each core must then store almost a complete replicate of the other core's memory.
    There are apparently exceptions to the rule, but then it's no longer being used in any conventional way, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader Cronus View Post
    Doesn't it still only add up to 2GB usable VRAM with dual 690s? And with four 680s wouldn't you have 4GB?
    It all depends on what the main card has. If you have 2GB VRAM 680s, then you'll get a total of 2GB of VRAM, even if you have 3 680s backing it up. If it has 4GB, then you'll have 4GB.

Same thing with the 690s however instead of it being all the VRAM on the PCB itself, it's only the amount they give per 680 chip on the PCB, thus if a 690 is listed as 4GB, you should do some digging, it is probably 2GB per chip, thus effectively 2GB of VRAM total.

Yes, it is very shady and I don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwayzdead View Post
    My Machince
    CPU: Intel core i5 2500k
    Heatsink: Corsair h60 liquid cooling
    Mobo: Asus p8z77-v
    Case:Cooler master haf 912
    PSU: Corsair 750TX
    Ram;16gb Corsair vengence ddr3
    Graphics card: EVGA 560 ti 2gb
    HDD: 1tb western digital
    SSD: OCZ vertex 3 120gb
    Nice setup, I am particularly fond of the 2GB 560Ti's, think they are a fantastic card.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yes, it is very shady and I don't like it.
    Indeed, it can be very misleading.
    Digital Rumination
    Plays: Azjol-Nerub EU - Fieran (Feral) | Smite | LoL | Skyrim | BF4
    Played: EVE - 37mil SP | Rift Mage | Guild Wars 2 - Mesmer | SW:TOR Sage
    i7 3930K - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - GTX Titan SLI - Samsung 750GB 840 EVO - Corsair 540 - Full WC

I guess dual-GPU cards are so uncommonly produced and niche that there really isn't enough dissatisfaction to fuel any sort of campaign against it. Well, that and the fact that the people dropping $1000 on a GPU are probably knowledgeable enough on the topic to know exactly what they'll be getting.

the fact that the people dropping $1000 on a GPU are probably knowledgeable enough on the topic to know exactly what they'll be getting.
    Plenty of people who just buy the most expensive product because they associate a big price-tag to high quality. Ignorance, yes.

True. I suppose it has that appeal of being the highest performing (and most expensive) single card on the market, which attracts a lot of amateur builders with more money than sense who just want something that's "the best there is" and not what's best for them.

True. I suppose it has that appeal of being the highest performing (and most expensive) single card on the market, which attracts a lot of amateur builders with more money than sense who just want something that's "the best there is" and not what's best for them.
    Lets not pretend we know the reasons people buy what they do and frankly it's their own damn business. I'm not a moderator but I'd say this thread has gone massively off-topic.
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1080MHz/1700MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2014 || AV-TEST Jan/Feb 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I'm not a moderator but I'd say this thread has gone massively off-topic.
    Indeed. If you want to chat, please use the Computer Chat thread (link my sig) or make a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Lets not pretend we know the reasons people buy what they do and frankly it's their own damn business. I'm not a moderator but I'd say this thread has gone massively off-topic.
    I think you're misunderstanding me. I never said that everyone who buys a 690 fits into the category of more money than sense, just that it's a card that's more likely to attract some people who want what they perceive as the best without doing a lot of research when compared to its lower-end brothers. Of course it's a great card, and there are plenty of people who buy it as an informed purchase. I'm not making sweeping statements that everyone, or even most, who buy a 690 are ignorant, just that it can be an attractive option for some who are. Just clarifying my point, sorry for this last off-topic post.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I never said that everyone who buys a 690 fits into the category of more money than sense, just that it's a card that's more likely to attract some people who want what they perceive as the best without doing a lot of research when compared to its lower-end brothers. Of course it's a great card, and there are plenty of people who buy it as an informed purchase. I'm not making sweeping statements that everyone, or even most, who buy a 690 are ignorant, just that it can be an attractive option for some who are. Just clarifying my point, sorry for this last off-topic post.
    you mean this guy?
    http://i.imgur.com/ZbP8Z.jpg

the price on the 690 keeps most of the more ignorant people from buying it, most owners are like me and get it mainly as an esoteric collector's item, even if 4 680's is better, it is never as special as two 690s, i know that there is less than a handful of computers like mine in the world, and most of them are one time benches for reviewers

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | FT02
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei Wireless | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Mechagnome
    Quote Originally Posted by cyanotical View Post
    you mean this guy?
    http://i.imgur.com/zbp8z.jpg
    oh lawds, is I in heaven?
    CPU: I5 2500K @4.5ghz (1.285v), CPU cooler: Corsair H100 push/pull GPU: MSI R7970 Lightning @1200Mhz, Case: Corsair 650D, Ram: 16GB Corsair vengeance, Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, PSU: Corsair TX650M, SSD: Samsung 830 128GB, HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB SPU: Xonar Essence STX

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    you mean this guy?
    the price on the 690 keeps most of the more ignorant people from buying it, most owners are like me and get it mainly as an esoteric collector's item, even if 4 680's is better, it is never as special as two 690s, i know that there is less than a handful of computers like mine in the world, and most of them are one time benches for reviewers
    Honestly I don't know if 4 680s is the better choice. You get more VRAM, sure, but they take more power and space, are less efficient where performance is concerned and really limit your cooling and motherboard options. So if VRAM isn't as big of an issue 2 690s would probably be the better option if you're deciding between the two. As I said earlier, it's about what's best for you in your situation.

Asus 1080p Monitor
    Intel i5 3570k
    Asus GTX 680
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
    GSkill Ripjaw X 8gb 1600
    Noctua NH-D14
    Corsair AX850 PSU
    2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD
    Corsair Carbide 500R

Quote Originally Posted by protput View Post
    oh lawds, is I in heaven?
    I do believe that is the VP of NVidia.

Quote Originally Posted by NDefer View Post
    Asus 1080p Monitor
    Intel i5 3570k
    Asus GTX 680
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
    GSkill Ripjaw X 8gb 1600
    Noctua NH-D14
    Corsair AX850 PSU
    2x Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB SSD
    Corsair Carbide 500R
    Love that case! How long have you had it and how do you like it?

After some *upgrades:
    *2 BenQ 24" 1920 x 1080 monitors
    i5-2500k @ stock (at the moment)
    Zalman CNPS10x extreme
    *Palit gtx 670 Jetstream
    *Asus Maximus V gene
    Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 8GB (2x4GB)
    *Samsung 830 series 256GB SSD
    Corsair TXV2 750w 80+
    Silverstone Temjin tj-08e

Yeah I only have that SSD as my storage, but I really don't need more than that. Only few games and some random small stuff.
    FC 2793-2016-8218 - Name: Suoma

Changing my setup at the moment, I will post some pictures when I am done! Should really get a new case and cpu cooler while I am at it. But for now exterior cable management and a few updates incoming!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Build I just finished building for my friend:

CPU - i5 3570k @4.2ghz
    CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo
    Mobo - ASUS P8Z77-V LX
    RAM - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz
    GPU - Gigabyte WindForce Triple Fan 7970 @1100/1550
    SSD-Crucial M4 120gb
    HD - Some WD 500gb
    PSU - Corsair TX650 V2
    Case - Corsair 400R
    A Cisco Wireless card (sadface, he has to use wireless =[)

Soon* Xonar DG as soundcard

I was impressed by how much more quiet his system was compared to mine, mostly due to the case I'd say. Can't wait for haswell and a reason to get a new case and make a new system =p
    Last edited by Naididae; 2012-08-08 at 03:12 AM.

Last time I updated my computer... Quad core 2 duo w/ddr2 ram was top of the line....
    I'm a chef, by profession... (meaning I don't make much money... just work lots ;D)
    I'm still trying to save to upgrade soon as I can...

Priority list is cpu cooler(was thinking thermaltake extreme... wc + software ftw?) so I can begin to overclock, video card (HD 7970?), second SSD for raid0(or even just getting a pair of bigger ones and doing that), then probably upgrade my 2TB to something newer (maybe 2 or 3 total... I'm such a pirate.. my 2tb is almost full ;D).

Is a usb3.0 front panel case really worth it? I've been decently happy with my case so far, except the fans don't really push much more then they make noise...

*new purchases
    *CPU: i5 3570k @ 3.4
    CPU Cooler: Stock
    *Mobo: Sabertooth Z77
    *Ram: 2x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600mhz
    *SSD: Vortex3 120GB
    HDDs: 2TB WD, 160GB Velociraptor(old main)
    PSU: Corsair TX750W
    GPU: GeForce GTS 450
    Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932
    KB: BlackWidow Ultimate
    Mouse: Naga 12-button
    Monitor: LG W53 (50000:1, 2ms, hdmi.. got it on a sick deal a few years ago.. love it to death.. owned 4 LG monitors in my life, loved them all)

before
    http://i49.tinypic.com/2q9ceqe.jpg
    after a bit of work..
    http://i47.tinypic.com/n75w6.jpg

It's a bit of a pain.. the TX750 has many bulky wires coming out and about, and the back of my case is pretty stuffed... I had to shove extra wires below my HDD stash..
    Last edited by spaace; 2012-08-08 at 06:20 AM.
    3DS FC: 5172 - 0403 - 7277
    Pokemon Y Safari Steel Type (Feroseed, Forretess, Brozong)
    Bravely Default
    White Mage|XIV Stream