1. #10061
    Brewmaster Majesticii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    <3 metroid prime

  2. #10062
    Mechagnome Punisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    568
    This is my first build, the pic is quite old and I did a lot of cable mangement improvement since I took the pictures, I have a IDE/SATA adapter in the 5.25" case, that's why there is 2 Molex (One for the adapter and one for the HDD). I plan to OC my CPU soon, but nothing extreme, just to learn how.

    Interior:


    Cable "Management =P "

    I don't have a modular PSU so it was a challenge, but I did something acceptable (I think ^^ )


    My GC is a 7850, it may seems a bit low, but I was gaming with a 6550, So this card is pretty much overkill for me, and its was a budget build (it cost me around 1100$, but I got some problems with the customs , im living in Canada and ordered the pieces from USA and the case cost me 100 buck instead of 30 )

    Tell me what you think about it!
    (Spec are in my sig)
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

  3. #10063
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    8,436
    I have never been charged customs for buying computer components. I buy all my stuff from Newegg.ca or NCIX (online and in store). Newegg Canada ships a lot of components from the USA though like graphics cards, monitors and cases. Small components like HDD's come from within Canada.

  4. #10064
    Mechagnome Punisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    568
    My uncle was in the USA, so He picked up pieces from a adress he has in New York, but the total price of the pieces was more than the 48h limit (don't know the exact law, but you have a maximum value of things you buy if you are not a permanent resident), so I needed to pay the extras

    And Amazon.ca prices are twice those of the usa
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

  5. #10065
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    America's Hat
    Posts
    8,436
    Ah, I thought you had ordered it online. Yeah, you are better off paying the shipping fees and buying online then getting the components from across the border.

  6. #10066
    Mechagnome Punisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Québec
    Posts
    568
    I didn't bought all the pieces online, only CPU, Mobo, Ram and GPU, (Then shipped it to my Uncle adress in New York) I bought the rest at local stores, but I should have all get it online, I would have save few bucks ^^

    Else what do you think of the build?
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

  7. #10067
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    My question would be, why have a poor 4+1 phase motherboard in a $2.4k build. Specially since he got a K processor. With that CPU power supply you can forget any kind of decent OC.
    He's lucky it's dual 8x PCI-E, i wonder if he checked it for that.
    Can you explain what you mean by the 4+1 phase motherboard? This is the first time I have heard of such a thing, but it is OC'd to 4.7, which I'd call a decent OC. But the OC is restricted by the Vcore and temps, which I am not sure if that problem is related to what you're talking about? Yes I did look for the dual 8x pci-e.

    Any other comments on my build?
    Last edited by Kevin38924; 2013-02-02 at 10:03 PM.

  8. #10068
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin38924 View Post
    Can you explain what you mean by the 4+1 phase motherboard? This is the first time I have heard of such a thing, but it is OC'd to 4.7, which I'd call a decent OC. But the OC is restricted by the Vcore and temps, which I am not sure if that problem is related to what you're talking about? And yes, when I looked for a PSU, I wanted dual 8 pin pci-e for a possible crossfire later on and fully modular with decent braids as well as 80+ gold rating.

    Any other comments on my build?
    The 4+1 etc etc, is all about power phase delivery to the CPU through the motherboard and essentially how many and what types of mosfets are on the motherboard, from what I understand. Higher-end motherboards typically have more and higher quality selections.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  9. #10069
    Dreadlord Stravs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Uk Cumbrian Lake District
    Posts
    793
    Why even bother to mention about dual 8x pci-e lanes...... the difference between 8x and 16x is hardly noticeable if anything at all 4+1 phase is more than enough for a decent OC he proved that with 4.7ghz. Not having a go just stating it's not really worth pointing out.
    i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz-Asus Sabertooth P67 B3 8gb Corsair XMS-3
    EVGA GTX 670 4tw 4gb
    CreativeX-Fi Titanium Pro paired with (Corsair SP2500)
    Corsair HX850
    250gb Samsung 840 ssd
    Silverstone Raven 3

  10. #10070
    Brewmaster Majesticii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Why even bother to mention about dual 8x pci-e lanes...... the difference between 8x and 16x is hardly noticeable if anything at all 4+1 phase is more than enough for a decent OC he proved that with 4.7ghz. Not having a go just stating it's not really worth pointing out.
    Who said anything about a 8x8x vs 16x16x. Not every motherboard has 8x8x or 16x16x, most cheaper models have only 4x on the second slot (16x4x) which is shit for SLI/CF. And next time if you say someone is giving false statements, get some facts, not just flatout tell them they're wrong like you're doing now. Also, besides the 4+1, the VRM cooling is very basic.

    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...board_review/7

    Here's what can go wrong on a 4+1 phase board. You say he proved it's stable, but i haven't heard any stability tests (12hr). And the board is brand new, it's not going to immediatly fail.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-02-02 at 10:03 PM.

  11. #10071
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Who said anything about a 8x8x vs 16x16x. Not every motherboard has 8x8x or 16x16x, most cheaper models have only 4x on the second slot (16x4x) which is shit for SLI/CF.
    Hell mine can only manage 16x1x. I wish I could just make it 8x8x instead. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  12. #10072
    Dreadlord Stravs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Uk Cumbrian Lake District
    Posts
    793
    Well I assume you said it judging by the negativity on the comment ..... not looking for an argument I cba and power phases have never been a problem in the past and I doubt they are now...it's something the avg user turns a blind eye too imo.
    i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz-Asus Sabertooth P67 B3 8gb Corsair XMS-3
    EVGA GTX 670 4tw 4gb
    CreativeX-Fi Titanium Pro paired with (Corsair SP2500)
    Corsair HX850
    250gb Samsung 840 ssd
    Silverstone Raven 3

  13. #10073
    Brewmaster Majesticii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Well I assume you said it judging by the negativity on the comment ..... not looking for an argument I cba and power phases have never been a problem in the past and I doubt they are now...it's something the avg user turns a blind eye too imo.
    If you're not bothered with it, or have no constructive arguments, then i suggest you don't criticise.

    About the VRM cooling. You be the judge which gets you the best milage.
    http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...gd80/gd802.jpg
    vs
    http://limages.vr-zone.net/body/1570...vlk_1.jpg.jpeg

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Hell mine can only manage 16x1x. I wish I could just make it 8x8x instead. lol
    My first board P7P55D had 16x4x. I didn't look at it when i bought it.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-02-02 at 10:13 PM.

  14. #10074
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    13,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    most cheaper models have only 4x on the second slot (16x4x) which is shit for SLI/CF.
    Far from the truth. Performance loss is within 5%

    Here's a good read. http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/2...16x16_vs_x8x8/

  15. #10075
    To be fair though, that MSI board probably cost twice as much as the Gigabyte one, Majesticii.
    Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Samsung 951PRO nVME 512GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Crucial MX200 1TB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic X850

    Former author of the TankSpot.com Protection Paladin guide

  16. #10076
    Brewmaster Majesticii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Far from the truth. Performance loss is within 5%

    Here's a good read. http://hardocp.com/article/2010/08/2...16x16_vs_x8x8/
    I might be quick-glancing here. But i'm not reading anything about 16x4x mode.

  17. #10077
    Dreadlord Stravs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Uk Cumbrian Lake District
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    If you're not bothered with it, or have no constructive arguments, then i suggest you don't criticise.

    About the VRM cooling. You be the judge which gets you the best milage.
    http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...gd80/gd802.jpg
    vs
    http://www.warcom.com.au/shop_image/...d8ea567c74.jpg
    Wow :/ .... Name me a scenario where I would see any *real* benefit from having 16x over 8x or any other? I ain't bothered at all matey you're the one getting all defensive I was just stating the obvious.


    Not getting into this good night
    i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz-Asus Sabertooth P67 B3 8gb Corsair XMS-3
    EVGA GTX 670 4tw 4gb
    CreativeX-Fi Titanium Pro paired with (Corsair SP2500)
    Corsair HX850
    250gb Samsung 840 ssd
    Silverstone Raven 3

  18. #10078
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    17,140
    Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Wow :/ .... Name me a scenario where I would see any *real* benefit from having 16x over 8x or any other? I ain't bothered at all matey you're the one getting all defensive I was just stating the obvious.


    Not getting into this good night
    In terms of PCI-E 2.0, which is what you and I have, 16x is just under the amount required for a 690, by about 5%, so you wouldn't lose too much of the data, but PCI-E 2.0 is getting phased out for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  19. #10079
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    13,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    I might be quick-glancing here. But i'm not reading anything about 16x4x mode.
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...x16x16_vs_x4x4 Wrong link. Confusing bookmarks.

    And we're off-topic now. I'll just pretend no one contributed, least of all me, and let's bring us back on track, shall we?

  20. #10080
    Brewmaster Majesticii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Wow :/ .... Name me a scenario where I would see any *real* benefit from having 16x over 8x or any other? I ain't bothered at all matey you're the one getting all defensive I was just stating the obvious.


    Not getting into this good night
    For the third time, i'm talking 16x4x mode on a SLI/CF system. There is a reason 16x4x boards only have CF. Because the nvidia SLI license isn't free like AMD's crossfire license. Because CF/SLI is shit on 16x4x boards, brands don't purchase the SLI license.

    Yeah i know Tetris, but it doesn't help when people don't read and i have to repeat myself. That causes the flooding.

    EDIT;
    Btw, the 5% is just too average. It varies on the game, and 16x4x can be really crippling at some games.
    I've tested it myself back when i had the P7P55D (hacked BIOS for SLI license), swapped to MSI P55-GD80.
    http://i.imgur.com/nw4aQRJ.jpg
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2013-02-02 at 10:26 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •