1. #11141
    Brewmaster Majesticii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Oh. Haha. It seemed like a really weird sentence at first, since I somehow missed the context. So it seemed like you said "post pictures instead of pictures"
    Had to read it a few times aswell. Guess we dun goofed.

  2. #11142
    Congratulations on the new motherboard, Deltrus. Man I've been into computers for about 4 years now and I still can't get myself into doing the cooler & thermal paste part, I'm just too scared to touch that area without help, but the rest I can do perfectly well.

    This time, though, I'll be getting myself a Haswell build, and I'll try to convince myself and do that scary part without the help of anyone. Hopefully I'll be including pictures in the coming week.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

  3. #11143
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    17,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Congratulations on the new motherboard, Deltrus. Man I've been into computers for about 4 years now and I still can't get myself into doing the cooler & thermal paste part, I'm just too scared to touch that area without help, but the rest I can do perfectly well.

    This time, though, I'll be getting myself a Haswell build, and I'll try to convince myself and do that scary part without the help of anyone. Hopefully I'll be including pictures in the coming week.
    Why thank you!

    And you're getting Haswell? But why? You have an IB doing 4.5GHz... based on your signature. >_>

    Honestly though, if I can do it, so can you. It's really very easy and not that much of a problem at all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  4. #11144
    Pit Lord Ghâzh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    2,273
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    -snip-
    That's one nice looking table! And motherboard too. The colour scheme of MSI actually goes really well with copper.

  5. #11145
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    17,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    That's one nice looking table! And motherboard too. The colour scheme of MSI actually goes really well with copper.
    Hey, someone that agrees! I know n0cturnal doesn't totally like it, but he admitted it looked better than with the ASUS board. lol

    I mean, honestly:

    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  6. #11146
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Why thank you!

    And you're getting Haswell? But why? You have an IB doing 4.5GHz... based on your signature.
    I gave that computer to my wife. She's been asking for a new PC for quite a while so I thought I could give it to her and get myself a Haswell build.

    Also yeah about the thermal paste part.. god that part scares me the most when it comes to building PCs, but I'll try my best to do it myself. Will see how things will go.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

  7. #11147
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    17,142
    Just squeeze a little bit on, if it calls for it, spread it around properly, though not all pastes require this, and sit the heatsink down. I'd hold it in place as some like to move around on the CPU before they are bolted down firmly. :P It's best to just jump in and do it and get the experience, once you do your first, the rest become so much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  8. #11148
    Stood in the Fire Starbrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    While we do appreciate pictures, please do post pictures about your gaming computer instead.
    You don't have to post pictures, but we do love and thrive with them!
    I apologize, I fixed it and will not happen again. with that said, I owe this thread more computer-related pics. I do use a few computers throughout the day. Although nothing has changed in my sig. got a new tablet though for work and fun. Here is my desk at work, We have crappy Dell's


    This is my current setup at home. Planning on changing this cramped desk area soon. Not much room to do work, tablet, or 2nd monitor. Case sits on a perfect sized shoe rack, subwoofer is underneath. (info in sig or found in previous post here)


    and here's my tablet plugged in at home to a 40" (this is the tablet I got)
    My 2010-2014 Build *updated as of 4/4/14*
    Instagram follow @TheDrawingMil

  9. #11149
    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    I gave that computer to my wife. She's been asking for a new PC for quite a while so I thought I could give it to her and get myself a Haswell build.

    Also yeah about the thermal paste part.. god that part scares me the most when it comes to building PCs, but I'll try my best to do it myself. Will see how things will go.
    Slightly off topic but rather useful info.

    Refer to the tinting section of this guide regardless of the paste you use. Clean surfaces, tint, remove excess with coffee filter, apply pea sized amount, mount heatsink.

    Some will say before securing the heatsink to give it a little twist in both directions while holding it firmly flat. (but not with excessive force)

    While you can use too little, there is definitely such a thing as too much paste. To be completely honest, it's not a huge deal. As long as you can get the paste to spread evenly(it doesn't have to cover the whole IHS) and do not have air bubbles then you are fine. Best part of paste, you can always remove it and reapply. With most things, practice makes perfect.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

    Dell U2711 27" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Zowie FK1 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

  10. #11150
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    17,142
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    Slightly off topic but rather useful info.

    Refer to the tinting section of this guide regardless of the paste you use. Clean surfaces, tint, remove excess with coffee filter, apply pea sized amount, mount heatsink.

    Some will say before securing the heatsink to give it a little twist in both directions while holding it firmly flat. (but not with excessive force)

    While you can use too little, there is definitely such a thing as too much paste. To be completely honest, it's not a huge deal. As long as you can get the paste to spread evenly(it doesn't have to cover the whole IHS) and do not have air bubbles then you are fine. Best part of paste, you can always remove it and reapply. With most things, practice makes perfect.
    I agree with everything, but if he isn't using AS5 or another paste that more or less requires tinting, I don't think he needs to worry about doing it. He can do it, but doesn't have to, like in the case of AS5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  11. #11151
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceG87 View Post
    Slightly off topic but rather useful info.

    Refer to the tinting section of this guide regardless of the paste you use. Clean surfaces, tint, remove excess with coffee filter, apply pea sized amount, mount heatsink.

    Some will say before securing the heatsink to give it a little twist in both directions while holding it firmly flat. (but not with excessive force)

    While you can use too little, there is definitely such a thing as too much paste. To be completely honest, it's not a huge deal. As long as you can get the paste to spread evenly(it doesn't have to cover the whole IHS) and do not have air bubbles then you are fine. Best part of paste, you can always remove it and reapply. With most things, practice makes perfect.
    Really appreciate it. I'll definitely read about it and watch that video you linked.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

  12. #11152
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I agree with everything, but if he isn't using AS5 or another paste that more or less requires tinting, I don't think he needs to worry about doing it. He can do it, but doesn't have to, like in the case of AS5.
    All pastes will benefit from tinting. There is no reason not to tint. Unless you are working with Coollaboratory solutions/Indigo Xtreme or have a perfect surface to work with. (Which no one does, including lapped surfaces.)

    EDIT - May the mods have mercy on us for derailing the thread. If you have any further questions/concerns you can PM several of the regular posters in this thread. Most will not hesitate when you ask. Otherwise you can always post an open thread via the Computer Build/Help sub forum.
    Last edited by BruceG87; 2013-06-04 at 12:22 AM.
    i5-3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Phanteks TC14PE | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW | 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Asus Xonar Essence STX | Crucial M4 256MB | Seasonic X760 Gold | Silverstone FT02

    Dell U2711 27" | Das Keyboard 4 Pro | Zowie FK1 | Audiotechnica ATH-AD900X | Blue Yeti

  13. #11153
    The Patient Firatha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    B.C/Lightbringer US
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Exactly who are you supposed to b--holy balls, the thread creator? You're still ALIVE?!

    Still using your i7 920 rig?
    Ya just barely still alive and yes still using that same rig the only difference is it has a 590 the last thing I was able to buy before I had to stop working because of a car accident and your post made my day.

  14. #11154
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    17,142
    I know a lot of you love cable management and that you know I love cable management.

    I think I played with the beast, a little too much, so to speak.

    What I'm trying to say is, I think a lot of (not all of, but a lot of, most of even, almost all of!) my power problems lately... stem from a very simple issue that I discovered while fully stripping my computer apart earlier, as I wanted to do a mobox computer rig. (Running motherboard on its - or my previous shittier motherboard's - box, to allow for very easy access to the motherboard, and what-not. I did this for about 2-4 weeks in January/February 2012 successfully.)

    I think... I tried too hard, back in late March/early April this year, when I was tightening my cable management and trying to perfect it. It seems that one of the cables powering the motherboard, didn't pay 100% attention to which exactly, but one of them, came out FAR TOO EASILY, when I went to remove it from the power supply. Like maybe it had been tugging and not always having full contact in the power supply and on occasion losing that contact, thus my computer shutting off, without any reason being provided anywhere. The pieces are starting to make sense now, aren't they?

    Ended up still doing Mobox, out of wanting to be sure, of course, smart move, right? Ran a full pass and a half of Memtest 86+ and have had my computer in Windows ever since then for 2 and a half hours, without issue.

    And yes, this means that the old ASUS P8P67 is probably, still good. Perhaps I'll use it again... for something else. As for now though, I really quite appreciate the MSI Z77 MPower. It's better, has more features, better parts, looks slick as hell, has a crap load more USB 3.0, WiFi, onboard buttons, LED bug report and temperature report, the lovely GO2BIOS button, and did I mention how awesome it looks? Oh, it also even has a clear CMOS button.

    Yeah, all those things, the ASUS P8P67 doesn't have. So far, I've used everything except the WiFi (may come in handy), and the extra USB 3.0 ports, but I know I will likely be filling them up within the coming months. I have one USB 3.0 E-HDD... why shouldn't I have 6? :P (Probably would over-populate, but you get the point!)

    Of course a good ol' diary entry (lol Marest!) would not be complete without a picture! Here, have one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  15. #11155
    Elemental Lord Drunkenvalley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    8,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Ya just barely still alive and yes still using that same rig the only difference is it has a 590 the last thing I was able to buy before I had to stop working because of a car accident and your post made my day.
    Whoa! My condolences. What's the damage after the accident?

  16. #11156
    The Patient Firatha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    B.C/Lightbringer US
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Whoa! My condolences. What's the damage after the accident?
    Well we were on the highway and stopped for a red light the people behind us didn't stop so they hit us going 80ish kph and we were of course stopped we had a big heavy 2006 Ford Mustang and the impact bent and buckled the steel frame, us being stopped and it being a heavy car it didn't move much so I got thrown around good and did the worst possible thing I looked in the mirror saw it coming and tensed up shredded all the muscles in my shoulders upperback and neck and damaged a few discs up where the neck meets the back.If I was not wearing a seat belt I bet would of cracked my head open like an egg. Now back to watching Neon Genesis Evangelion on pain killers!
    Last edited by Firatha; 2013-06-04 at 08:23 AM.

  17. #11157
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    17,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Firatha View Post
    Well we were on the highway and stopped for a red light the people behind us didn't stop so they hit us going 80ish kph and we were of course stopped we had a big heavy 2006 Ford Mustang and the impact bent and buckled the steel frame, us being stopped and it being a heavy car it didn't move much so I got thrown around good and did the worst possible thing I looked in the mirror saw it coming and tensed up shredded all the muscles in my shoulders upperback and neck and damaged a few discs up where the neck meets the back.If I was not wearing a seat belt I bet would of cracked my head open like an egg.
    Glad to hear you're alright! But, isn't 80 kph a little slow for a highway? 49-50 mph for us American losers... that's like an average street. :P Where are the 60mph+ highways?

    But kidding aside, a cracked skull would not have been nice, I find it intriguing that Xuvial almost called out a possible OP not still being around. =X

    Keep on trucking sir!

    As for on-topic, any plans for an upgrade in the computer realm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  18. #11158
    The Patient Firatha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    B.C/Lightbringer US
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Glad to hear you're alright! But, isn't 80 kph a little slow for a highway? 49-50 mph for us American losers... that's like an average street. :P Where are the 60mph+ highways?
    Most of the highways in the cities are 80-100kph the only places it gets past 100 is out of the cities even then the highest posted speed limit I have ever seen was 120 kph and it was way out in the mountains.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    As for on-topic, any plans for an upgrade in the computer realm?
    Oh ya when my court case is done and over I plan to make a whole new rig.

  19. #11159
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    17,142
    Woohoo! Look forward to the OP of the glorious Post Your Gaming Setup thread posting an update! It's been a long time. ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  20. #11160
    High Overlord JuhTai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    106
    Well - it's been a long while since I've had the chance to visit this thread, but I've just gone out and splashed a ton of cash on my next build with Haswell out now. Needless to say, I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas with everything due to hit my doorstep tomorrow. Hoorah! So the build will be as follows;

    PC
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87-G1.Sniper 5
    CPU: Intel i7 Haswell 4770k 3.6Ghz
    GPU: EVGA 3GB GTX780
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz
    HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Green
    SSD: 2x Sandisk Extreme 120GB 500/550 R/W
    Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i
    Case: NZXT Phantom 620

    Peripherals
    Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth 2012
    Mouse: SteelSeries Cataclysm/Razer Naga Epic

    Needless to say, I can't wait to get the beast running

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •