1. #11741
    Got a new case, Switch 810. My god I love it.... it's like owning an HDD, then getting an SSD and never wanting to go back. FULL TOWER FTW.

    http://i.imgur.com/RzxfoV4.jpg

    Build isn't done, have a few things arriving next week to finish up.

    - Swiftech MP655
    - Alphacool Repack Dual 5.25" Acrylic Reservoir
    Bleeding the XSPC pump/res. combo is impossible or something (pump is always noisy, slight hum). So I decided to get a new pump and res and will sell off the XSPC combo.
    - PrimoChill PRIMOFLEX™ Advanced LRT™ Elegant White
    - Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition x 2
    - Swiftech MCR220-QP 2X120mm Radiator
    Last edited by mercs213; 2013-08-18 at 03:19 AM.

  2. #11742
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Flcrewpolo View Post
    um mainly cause when i switched my mobo and cpu recently *i posted my old cpu/mobo by mistake my current is 3970x on a asus rampage iv extreme the 2600k is what is pictured*
    but when i switched my cpu/mobo i upgraded my ram at same time and got a steal on 64gigs vs 32gigs both are way overkill but my whole machine is overkill
    i was about to comment "you can't have 64GB on a 2600k"

    i7-6700K | Z170 Class. K | 16GB DDR4-3200 | GTX-980ti | Samsung 950 Pro RAID0 | SuperNOVA 1Kw P2 | Lian Li PC-07S
    ROG Swift PG348Q | Ducky DSX | Zowie ZA11 | Xonar Essence One | Tannoy Reveal 402

  3. #11743
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i was about to comment "you can't have 64GB on a 2600k"
    yea sandybridge fun huh cyanotical

  4. #11744
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Flcrewpolo View Post
    yea sandybridge fun huh cyanotical
    idk if you noticed but SB-E is a whole different animal that SB, about all they really have in common is overclocking procedure, makes me curious about IB-E given that it's getting almost a year and a half of extra dev time over IB, much longer than the 10 months of extra dev time between SB and SB-E

    thinking about it, IB cores with HW performance and enterprise L3 and stability, along with rumors of Titan-2 and HD9970, we'll be seeing some pretty awesome setups in this thread

    i7-6700K | Z170 Class. K | 16GB DDR4-3200 | GTX-980ti | Samsung 950 Pro RAID0 | SuperNOVA 1Kw P2 | Lian Li PC-07S
    ROG Swift PG348Q | Ducky DSX | Zowie ZA11 | Xonar Essence One | Tannoy Reveal 402

  5. #11745
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,105
    Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    Got a new case, Switch 810. My god I love it.... it's like owning an HDD, then getting an SSD and never wanting to go back. FULL TOWER FTW.

    http://i.imgur.com/RzxfoV4.jpg

    Build isn't done, have a few things arriving next week to finish up.

    - Swiftech MP655
    - Alphacool Repack Dual 5.25" Acrylic Reservoir
    Bleeding the XSPC pump/res. combo is impossible or something (pump is always noisy, slight hum). So I decided to get a new pump and res and will sell off the XSPC combo.
    - PrimoChill PRIMOFLEX™ Advanced LRT™ Elegant White
    - Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition x 2
    - Swiftech MCR220-QP 2X120mm Radiator
    Sexy! IMO that bottom rad would do better as intake, it will 1) make it positive pressure and 2) uses the cool air directly from outside to keep the rad cool instead of using the warmer air inside the case

  6. #11746
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Sexy! IMO that bottom rad would do better as intake, it will 1) make it positive pressure and 2) uses the cool air directly from outside to keep the rad cool instead of using the warmer air inside the case
    True, I just had them positioned like that for the aesthetic value. I love the white rings! I may change them around next week.

  7. #11747
    I don't care what anyone says, I love my gaming laptop. I'm using it at a friend's house, and can stream anywhere I want... (Provided their interwebs are decent).

    But as for at-home stats:

    Intel Core i7 3630QM Quad
    DDR3 12GB
    GeForce GTX 670
    1980 x 1080 60hz Monitor, which cost a lot more than the smaller version of it ;'[

    Around 25-30mpbs DL, 10 upload (I can edit the link in when I'm home).
    The upload is amazing for streaming though.

    I just don't get why people really hate laptops. I plan on getting a full desktop rig as well when I have the money, but that's obviously only due to heat issues with the laptop. Portable gamezz iLove.

    http://www.bubblews.com/assets/image...1374149592.jpg

    Then again, I guess portability is a little bit inconvenient when a notebook weights over 9 pounds. ;p
    Last edited by Stuneree; 2013-08-18 at 08:47 AM.

    i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

  8. #11748
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuneree View Post
    I just don't get why people really hate laptops. I plan on getting a full desktop rig as well when I have the money, but that's obviously only due to heat issues with the laptop. Portable gamezz iLove.
    The hate for laptops is mostly gone as the mobile market has ROCKETED in recent years and portability has become more important than ever. Nowadays if you say "I need a laptop for portability" I highly doubt you're going to get idiots going "booo laptop sux desktop is BETTAR".
    E.g. for someone who hops between different houses a lot or needs to go on vacation but still wants to play PC games, a laptop is perfect because they don't have to lug-around a freaking case + monitor + keyboard + mouse + cables + etc every time, that's just not possible.

    Asus gaming laptops are great in general, decent power/stability albeit their 17" models can get really bulky (as you say)...but the point is you can still chuck it in a bag and carry it around, and it will run most games on decent settings
    Yeah sure you will always be able to build a vastly more powerful PC for the price of a gaming laptop, but what the hell, that's just the cost of an all-in-one portable system :P

    Also I think your GPU is a GTX670M, not GTX 670, there is a pretty huge difference :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-08-18 at 09:08 AM.

  9. #11749
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Yeah sure you will always be able to build a vastly more powerful PC for the price of a gaming laptop, but what the hell, that's just the cost of an all-in-one portable system :P
    the reality is that price vs performance is really only a sales term, and the more people realize it the less they complain, in truth it's cost vs value, is the value of something to you worth the cost?, once you realise that, the price vs performance argument just seems like childish rhetoric

    for me it's worth it to spend more on something that is a better product

    i7-6700K | Z170 Class. K | 16GB DDR4-3200 | GTX-980ti | Samsung 950 Pro RAID0 | SuperNOVA 1Kw P2 | Lian Li PC-07S
    ROG Swift PG348Q | Ducky DSX | Zowie ZA11 | Xonar Essence One | Tannoy Reveal 402

  10. #11750
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    The hate for laptops is mostly gone as the mobile market has ROCKETED in recent years and portability has become more important than ever. Nowadays if you say "I need a laptop for portability" I highly doubt you're going to get idiots going "booo laptop sux desktop is BETTAR".
    E.g. for someone who hops between different houses a lot or needs to go on vacation but still wants to play PC games, a laptop is perfect because they don't have to lug-around a freaking case + monitor + keyboard + mouse + cables + etc every time, that's just not possible.

    Asus gaming laptops are great in general, decent power/stability albeit their 17" models can get really bulky (as you say)...but the point is you can still chuck it in a bag and carry it around, and it will run most games on decent settings
    Yeah sure you will always be able to build a vastly more powerful PC for the price of a gaming laptop, but what the hell, that's just the cost of an all-in-one portable system :P

    Also I think your GPU is a GTX670M, not GTX 670, there is a pretty huge difference :P
    You'd actually be incredibly surprised at some of the hate I receive for some reason haha. Even on stream when people ask for my comp specs, some people seem literally OFFENDED that I DARE use a laptop for gaming, (even if I do basically use it as a desktop).

    And as for the graphics card, I deffs knew that just forgot that the 670 isn't laptop haha. I've got the GTX 670MX.

    i7 4690K/4.7GHz | GTX 960 SSC (x2 SLI) | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws | Gigabyte Z97X SLI | Corsair CX600W | Corsair Air 540 Silver | Corsair H110i Cooler
    XL2430T @ 144Hz | Corsair K70 RGB Brown | Logitech G400S/800DPI+1.2 sens+Raw Input | QcK+

  11. #11751
    actually, the biggest hate i have with laptops, and this is someone coming who had a laptop to begin with to game on, is how repairable they are, if something goes wrong, its hell to fix, the easiest ones to sort is HDD and ram. If one of the other parts fail, you can pretty much have a bricked laptop or send it in for repair which can take a while to do and left with what exactly?

    Also the portability only comes in for LAN parties, and ive tried to game on a train or coach, ye it doesnt work, that element is bull crap if anyone claims it can be done well in such environment.
    and as a result, just produces more cons for laptop gaming

  12. #11752
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    Also the portability only comes in for LAN parties, and ive tried to game on a train or coach, ye it doesnt work, that element is bull crap if anyone claims it can be done well in such environment.
    ...you really can't see any scenario other than LAN parties where a laptop's portability can come in handy? I know people who have their entire lifestyles revolving around carrying laptops, desktops are virtually irrelevant to them.

    In the latest Steam survey, by far the two most common resolutions are 1920x1080 (31%) and 1366x768 (21%). The latter resolution virtually doesn't exist on standalone monitors, 99% of the people who voted for that resolution are laptop gamers.
    Blizzard designs pretty much all their games to be incredibly laptop-friendly (or low-budget friendly :P) due to catering to such a colossal audience, a TON people who play WoW/Diablo/Starcraft do so on laptops.

    Hell I knew students back in university who would game on their laptop during breaks (or during particularly boring lectures :P) and then game on it some more at home because the laptop fulfilled all their work/gaming needs. They can just drop it anywhere, plug it in to power, plug in a handy mouse and work/play.

    LAN parties only, pffffft.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2013-08-18 at 04:11 PM.

  13. #11753
    if its not taken around (portability) desktop is the better choice for gaming, work is another matter, working with excel spread sheets and calculations isnt hard to do on a train, but gaming isnt, this is experience, as these forums are mainly gaming, was only covering this aspect.
    also i stand by what i said at the first part of my post, as this also comes from experience, its an expensive risk to take if you buy a laptop that can run games well hardware wise.

    and i was a student at university as well so i know the drill :P, the only time you would need a a powerful laptop for uni imo is to run simulations such as air flow over an aerofoil if there isnt enough computers around, 16 xeon, 16 gb machines werent enough to go around :P

  14. #11754
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    if its not taken around (portability) desktop is the better choice for gaming
    I don't think I ever refuted that fact -_-

  15. #11755
    Old God Pendra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Heaven
    Posts
    10,759
    CPU: i7 4770k
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance (16 GB)
    HDD: Samsung 840 Pro, WD Black 1 TB
    PSU: Corsair HX 850
    MB: Asus Z87-Pro
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H110
    GPU: Asus GeForce GTX Titan

    Case: NZXT Phantom
    Keyboard: Logitech G710+
    Mouse: Logitech G600
    Monitor: Alienware AW2210

    Pics:
    http://i.imgur.com/DVuj3LH.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/wuKo8ds.png
    http://i.imgur.com/KkQ1t3H.png

    Sorry for the mess on the first picture. I've improved/cleaned up the cable management later, but haven't taken another picture. :/

  16. #11756
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,105
    Hehe cable management doesn't matter too much when it's in that beautiful white Phantom (and isn't obstructing airflow) :P nice clean desk area btw. I can't seem to keep mine clean for more than a week before stuff like screwdrivers/tools, random drives, SATA/fan cables and other shit just magically *appears* there somehow

    I got a genuinely curious question, any reason you went for Titan when you have a 1080p 60hz monitor? It's just...well...bwuh?
    Just making super-sure that minimum framerates never drop below 60fps at the absolute highest settings in all possible games? Or aiming to HUGELY upgrade that monitor sometime in the future to a 1440p IPS, 120hz/144hz or tri-screen setup? That's kinda what 780 & Titan are aimed at.

  17. #11757
    Old God Pendra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Heaven
    Posts
    10,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I can't seem to keep mine clean for more than a week before stuff like screwdrivers/tools, random drives, SATA/fan cables and other shit just magically *appears* there somehow
    Hehe, yeah, I know that "problem". However, I try to keep it as tidy as possible - I don't like it when there is roo much stuff lying around.

    I got a genuinely curious question, any reason you went for Titan when you have a 1080p 60hz monitor? It's just...well...bwuh?
    Just making super-sure that minimum framerates never drop below 60fps at the absolute highest settings in all possible games? Or aiming to HUGELY upgrade that monitor sometime in the future to a 1440p IPS, 120hz/144hz or tri-screen setup?
    I do plan to upgrade my monitor setup eventually.
    But to be completely honest...it's mostly because the store where I bought the parts had the Titan in stock (and the 780 on short call)...and I was like: "Screw it, I WANT that!"

  18. #11758
    Pit Lord Iamanerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorianrage View Post
    actually, the biggest hate i have with laptops, and this is someone coming who had a laptop to begin with to game on, is how repairable they are, if something goes wrong, its hell to fix, the easiest ones to sort is HDD and ram. If one of the other parts fail, you can pretty much have a bricked laptop or send it in for repair which can take a while to do and left with what exactly?

    Also the portability only comes in for LAN parties, and ive tried to game on a train or coach, ye it doesnt work, that element is bull crap if anyone claims it can be done well in such environment.
    and as a result, just produces more cons for laptop gaming
    Meh laptops generally are not hard to repair, personally I own a gaming laptop and my gaming desktop. If you take care of your equipment it should be fine but if something goes wrong, it's not hard to fix. I like my laptop as I use it for work with VM's etc. and for troubleshooting/data recovery plus it's good for when I want to go to a friends place
    Intel I7-5930K @ 4.5GHz | H100i GTX | Asus X99-A | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2400MHz
    Intel 750 PCIe 400GB SSD | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB/1TB | 512GB MX100 | 1TB WD Black x2 | 2TB WD Black |3TB WD Green NAS x2
    ASUS GTX 1080 STRIX | EVGA 850W | NXZT H440 NEW | Dell U3415W | Razor Naga Molten Edition | CM Quick Fire Rapid TK
    Schiit Asgard 2 | Schiit Modi 2 Uber | Presonus E5 x2 | Beyerdynamic DT990's 600 Ohm

  19. #11759
    i7-3960x cpu
    2x geforce gtx 690 gfx
    DX79TO Mobo
    16gb RAM
    480gb ssd
    2x 2TB hdd
    cooler master silencio 550 box

  20. #11760
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Meh laptops generally are not hard to repair, personally I own a gaming laptop and my gaming desktop. If you take care of your equipment it should be fine but if something goes wrong, it's not hard to fix. I like my laptop as I use it for work with VM's etc. and for troubleshooting/data recovery plus it's good for when I want to go to a friends place
    work is what i find its good for sure

    oh should add, this came in on friday 16th





    Last edited by Thorianrage; 2013-08-18 at 10:33 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •