Titan
    Warning: Long post inc.

So, with work starting again soon, it's once again time to update my system. Here's how we currently stand;
    Current System
    - i7-2600K - 4.3Ghz w/ NZXT Havik 140
    - 2x8GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance
    - EVGA GTX670 with ARCTIC TT2 Cooler
    - Seasonic S12-II 620W PSU
    - 4x 120GB SSD's, various brands
    - 2x 2TB Samsung HDD's
    - Corsair 800D
    - Gigabyte P67A-UD4

Overall, the system is silent. Some of the long-standing members will recall this system was built in early-mid 2011, and at one point had 4x2TB HDD's in RAID0 and 3 GTX580's running on an AX1200. It also had an Asus P8P67 WS Revolution (after my RoG board died), but that too died a few weeks ago. It was running on a top-end custom loop, which went through dual, serial and parallel configurations during it's time in my system, but was eventually sold off in parts.

As such, that system was built with GPU power in mind, and eventually selling off 'unnecessary' parts to make cash to add newer parts (new monitor, PSU, and the 670 primarily). I'm on a single 1440p monitor, but run a 1920x1200 on the left, and a 1280x1024 on the right. Right now, it's a near-silent system, and I don't have to turn up the fans even when gaming (simply because I choose to leave the side panel off the 800D - again, still a terrible case when you talk about thermals). Temperatures stay well in check, but it remains quiet enough that I can leave it running while I sleep.

I've grown tired of having to split games off onto different drives, and still having to move to mech. drives with some of them. You'll see soon enough how I plan to remedy this with my own brand of crazy.

The new system is to be built with instant response in mind, but without being limited on performance or capacity. Here's the plan;
    Planned System
    - i7-4770K - alternatively, waiting on the 4960x due in September (depends entirely on rendering performance and power draw)
    - 4x8GB Corsair Platinum 1866Mhz
    - GTX780 - likely an EVGA with ACX cooler
    - 4x 960GB Crucial M5 SSD's
    - Corsair 900D
    - As yet undecided on board

PSU and GPU
    I'm not yet sure what to do regarding the PSU. I'd like to keep this one as it's relatively new and extremely quiet, but I'm also starting to consider running 2 cards again. I'm not going with Titan - though I'm prepared to spend almost £2000 on SSD's, I'm not prepared to waste £400 on a minor FPS boost. However, if I do go with 2 cards, that'll mean I need a new PSU as 620W won't be enough (not when you account for overclocks and such). If a 790 should show up, I'd consider that instead but again, that would also require me to look at a new PSU. There's also the new ATI cards expected at the end of September, so I'll keep those in mind. At the same time, I remember the lack of benefit I really got from SLI, so keeping a single GPU would negate the need for a new PSU (and all the 'problems' that come with trying to find one that's quiet but has the wattage to run 2 cards).

Motherboard
    Since there's still some Z87 boards due to be unveiled in the next few weeks (think there's an MSI and a Gigabyte one), it doesn't make sense for me to settle on one just yet, even moreso when I'm still unsure of my plans regarding the GPU(s). PCIE port spacing is a consideration, as is the number of true x16 lanes (and whether an x16 x16 combo is possible, or whether it'd be x16 x8 or x8 x8) - true dual x16 is only a minor consideration though and I doubt it'd be enough to sway a purchase.

SSD's and Drives
    As I said above, I'm tired of splitting games between SSD's. A single 120GB get's eaten up incredibly fast, and games are only getting larger. Not only that, but the developer tools I use take up a huge chunk of space (and trust me, loading those from a HDD takes longer than loading WoW from a 5400RPM laptop drive [with a single core processor and 2GB of RAM]). I might settle on 'only' 2 of those SSD's. That's still almost 2TB to go at, and should more than satisfy my needs. I'll be keeping my HDD's as media drives still.

Case
    The 900D is really out of respect for Corsair. Sure, I've had several of their product break or fail on me recently, but the 800D is not one of them. The only problem with the 800D was the cooling - it wasn't good for watercooling or air, because it had little to no intakes. The 900D looks to have remedied this, and so if I get the benefits and strengths of the 800D in a larger form and with better cooling potential, then I'm sold. Ever since I saw the 900D, I'd planned to get it, but lack of funds prevented it. Now, I'll finally be able to afford it.

RAM
    I'm hitting 32GB of RAM (or 64GB, if I should end up with a 4960x), and I'm going with something that's not just functional, but has the form to go with it. I've wanted to use Platinum since it was unveiled, but I still would like to retain the capacity I'm used to for the sake of rendering. The one big issue that I'm still looking to fix is clearance. Using the HZXT Havik 140 means that I had to strip down one of my Vengeance modules just to retain dual channel - it also doesn't make sense to run just 1 fan on the Havik, as it doesn't perform too well. If I'm going for Platinum, it's an absolute waste to remove the heatsink and lightbar - they're what make the product 'more impressive' than regular low profile or vengeance.

CPU Cooler
    For this, I'm considering the Prolimatech Blue Series Armageddon cooler. It's 50mm wide, looks like it'd perform admirably with a single fan, and has a sleek look that would go well alongside the Platinum modules (almost all black fins, with a few blue ones near the top). I do NOT want a presealed loop - silence is still a priority for the build and the noise of a pump and fan just turns me away from all of them. However, I'm completely open to suggestions on the air coolers though, but keep in mind that clearance for the Platinum modules is something I'm fighting against.

Monitors/Misc.
    Following on from this, I plan to replace both my secondary monitors with identical 1440p monitors. I won't be playing surround gaming, but the general 'productivity' boost from larger res monitors would easily offset the cost ('only' around £600 for both). This will require me to replace my desk, but that's something I'll think about later. This also means I'll need a second GPU (since the monitors require dual-link DVI), or to spend more and get a HDMI version (or get a Displayport-DVI adapter/cable as that reportedly works too). This means I can either use my 670, buy a lower end secondary card, or simply settle for 2x1440p and 1x1200 and only need 1 card.

Priority
    The priority will first be CPU, motherboard, and 1 of the SSD's, then case, RAM and GPU, then monitors, and then the rest of the SSD's, should I find that I want more than 1 of them. After that, it'll be any secondary GPU's and PSU if I so decide to add more. That's the current plan simply to save me having to reinstall and reactivate Windows twice (i.e. due to switching board and CPU, then installing on a new drive), but I could opt for the case and the GPU first, and save that hassle until the month after.

Cost
    The total cost for this, assuming a single 780 and 4 SSD's, is around £4000 (but that's accounting for the monitors as well). The cost of this will be split over several months, but it could well increase or decrease as the project progresses. Everything is subject to change, except the fact that the entire core of the system is being stripped out and replaced with entirely new parts. My want of top end parts has returned, and so it'll be time to feed it in a few weeks (potentially 5-6 weeks before the first batch of parts). I figure that this system is a good target to aim for. The one thing I will be doing differently this time is settling on one system, and not deciding half way through the project that I want to add more to it (like a third 580 - that wasn't even considered in the original plan for this system) - I've got somewhat set goals, and once I start building, I plan to stick to it and finish up paying for the final batch of parts well within 6 months (and parts bought that late will be non-essentials).
    [...]

@post above. Small disagreement with the priorities. I'd say Monitor > GPU. What's the benefit of extra graphical settings if your image is already of subpar quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    @post above. Small disagreement with the priorities. I'd say Monitor > GPU. What's the benefit of extra graphical settings if your image is already of subpar quality.
    He already has one 1440p IPS display.
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    He already has one 1440p IPS display.
    Aha, it was specific to him, not generally speaking. Then i've said nothing.
    Also, EVGA's ACX cooler isn't that great. ASUS' new design works allot better.

Personally though, if one is already on 1080p, even a lower quality TN panel like my Acer, I'd still like a stronger GPU, as my 560 Ti is showing its age.

Not to mention it is kinda dying now, too. :'(
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    - - - - - -
    Yeah, I never thought that smart and considerate build with only one mid-range card ever really fit to you. ^^ It was almost like you had a budget..

How are you planning on running those SSD's? Why is it either 4 drives or 2 drives (why not 3)?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    WoW has been a CPU-bound game for much of its lifetime.

Mobo: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
    CPU: i5-2500k
    RAM: G.SKILL 1666mhz 2x4GB
    GPU: GTX560 - My 780 is being shipped currently
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
    Monitors: Dell 24", Acer 22" x2
    Tower: NZXT Switch 810
    PSU: OCZ 750W
    Sound Card: SoundBlaster XtremeAudio or something, some cheap shit, forget the name of it

I really want to go 1440p, but I don't trust eBay sellers for them cheap 1440p monitors at all =/. System is complete shit so whatever, I've given up on upgrading it right now as I got no money and every cent I get goes towards other things.

I'm confused, GTX 780 + i5-2500k + SSD etc. is shitty? Get 1440p to utilize your GTX 780. There are some trusted sellers on Ebay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlVbGcv0g-g
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1130MHz/1750MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2015 || AV-TEST 2014

Aha, it was specific to him, not generally speaking. Then i've said nothing.
    Also, EVGA's ACX cooler isn't that great. ASUS' new design works allot better.
    yes but dat customer service difference, asus new design can make me a sandwich too, im still not buying one

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    yes but dat customer service difference, asus new design can make me a sandwich too, im still not buying one
    Isn't that usually dealt with by the webshop anyway. If that's the only reason, it's a pretty weak one.

Stood in the Fire
    Isn't that usually dealt with by the webshop anyway. If that's the only reason, it's a pretty weak one.
    I'd rather buy a card from eVGA as they do have excellent customer service than a card that preforms what, 3 - 4 degrees better cooling wise? The new ACX cooling is excellent to, having owned one.

Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    I'd rather buy a card from eVGA as they do have excellent customer service than a card that preforms what, 3 - 4 degrees better cooling wise? The new ACX cooling is excellent to, having owned one.
    Having never even used a specific customer serivce in about 10years of custom building pc's. This is the least of my priorities. From a personal standpoint, i still think it's a weak argument.

Stood in the Fire
    Having never even used a specific customer serivce in about 10years of custom building pc's. This is the least of my priorities. From a personal standpoint, i still think it's a weak argument.
    I'd rather buy from a company that will back up their own product than one that won't. That's a pretty strong argument. Just because you haven't dealt with customer service means someone hasn't.

I know EVGA has a good customer support, but i don't recall ASUS having a particularly poor one either. Then again, i've got little experience with this.

Have always had amazing support by asus in my RMA's. If someones support is bad, you got XFX.
    Steam Big Picture Mode - 4570 - GA-H87N - MSI R9-290 - 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO
    Corsair 250D - Philips 55 LED TV - Corsair RM 550 - Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB

4770K - EVGA 780 Ti SC- Corsair 350D - V700 - Gryphon Z87
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB - Samsung 840 250GB - H60

If your Asus card dies after 3 years, you're screwed because your warranty expired 12 months ago. If your EVGA card dies after 3 years they'll send you a new one (or the closest corresponding card if it is out of stock/production).
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Crucial M550 256GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Alright guys, this isn't the thread for warranty discussion! Take it elsewhere please.

webshop? maybe in certain parts of the world, not here in the US, an OEM offers support, but a reseller (webshop, or actual store) doesn't have to do squat after their return policy expires (if they even have one)

the reseller will simply tell you to contact Asus, who will then tell you that it's the reseller's responsibility, leaving you with a faulty product and nobody willing to support it

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I'm confused, GTX 780 + i5-2500k + SSD etc. is shitty? Get 1440p to utilize your GTX 780. There are some trusted sellers on Ebay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlVbGcv0g-g
    That's my plan. And thanks for the youtube link of that 1440p monitor. May just have to get that one.

I still think my system is shitty though, only an i5 in it

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    That's my plan. And thanks for the youtube link of that 1440p monitor. May just have to get that one.

I still think my system is shitty though, only an i5 in it
    An i7 won't really do anything for you in like 90% of the games you play. It's really only relevant if you stream high end, render videos a lot, 3D modeling etc.
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1130MHz/1750MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2015 || AV-TEST 2014