1. #11821
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    @Synthaxx

    I still maintain that if you want some speed and storage, one is better off with the Seagate Momentus XT drives over standard mechanical drives. I get around 150 MB/s read speeds off that on SATA3 while my 1.5TB does less then half that and it was a higher end drive when I bought it.
    my WD C-Blacks get about the same speeds without SSD caching, which really makes me wonder if hybrid drives are worth it at all considering how much cheaper SSDs are now

    i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 16GB DDR3-2400 | GTX-980 | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | SuperNOVA 1Kw P2 | RV05
    Dell U3415w | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Zowie ZA11 | Xonar Essence One | Tannoy Reveal 402

  2. #11822
    I decided Ivy-E wasn't interesting enough to justify upgrading - I blew the cash for that on a pair of 840 evo 1tb disks today (ordered from amazon, haven't shipped). I have a feeling that this will go about as well as the crucial 960gb drive launch (not generally available until several months after a paper launch). There's a store near my home selling the 750gb version but haven't listed the larger one yet, nor have newegg/ncix. 2 SSDs the last upgrades until the 8-core Haswell-E/DDR4 configurations become available.

    I may also have my hands on a Tesla k20x. The compute-node at work is getting replaced and I didn't get shut down when I asked if I could buy one of the GPUs for "$1000 or something" to use at home…here's hoping.
    A new UI series for 5.2Steal my old UILearn about WeakAuras • Nobody to raid with right now so no PVE videos.

  3. #11823
    Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    netherlands
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I decided Ivy-E wasn't interesting enough to justify upgrading - I blew the cash for that on a pair of 840 evo 1tb disks today (ordered from amazon, haven't shipped). I have a feeling that this will go about as well as the crucial 960gb drive launch (not generally available until several months after a paper launch). There's a store near my home selling the 750gb version but haven't listed the larger one yet, nor have newegg/ncix. 2 SSDs the last upgrades until the 8-core Haswell-E/DDR4 configurations become available.

    I may also have my hands on a Tesla k20x. The compute-node at work is getting replaced and I didn't get shut down when I asked if I could buy one of the GPUs for "$1000 or something" to use at home…here's hoping.
    How could one possibly make usefull use of such amount of ssd storage in a raid setting? (also why those and not looking into enterprise pci(e) ssd ?)

  4. #11824
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    16,362
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    How could one possibly make usefull use of such amount of ssd storage in a raid setting? (also why those and not looking into enterprise pci(e) ssd ?)
    If one has the money, getting completely off of mechanical hard drives is starting to become a viable, though expensive, venture.

    No HDD spinning noise, less vibration in the case, especially for people with several drives, fast recording of unrendered video, faster possible rendering times then, too.

    Just gotta think out of the box, no one is saying it's a cheap thing that everyone should do, though. :P

    Even if I had the money, I don't think I'm ready to jump to all SSDs, but SSDs won't fail from power failures like HDDs will. Remember when my computer had power issues back in April and my hard drives died?

    All except my SSD... and DVD drive. XD SSDs can gain and lose power in rapid succession with no real damage, mechanical hard drives, obviously, cannot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  5. #11825
    I am Murloc! Cyanotical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,510
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    How could one possibly make usefull use of such amount of ssd storage in a raid setting? (also why those and not looking into enterprise pci(e) ssd ?)
    my games HDD has 787GB in use, and the main games i play are on my SSD, its quite easy to use up lots of space when you install your entire steam library

    i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 16GB DDR3-2400 | GTX-980 | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | SuperNOVA 1Kw P2 | RV05
    Dell U3415w | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Zowie ZA11 | Xonar Essence One | Tannoy Reveal 402

  6. #11826
    Ok, so I ran into money issues and had to downgrade the 780 to a 770, I still have a 1440p monitor coming though. I'm wondering if I'm going to have any issues with it since I have a 770 now instead of a 780. The 770 is still a solid card and even more so when I can SLI it correct?

  7. #11827
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    13,582
    This is not a thread to ask for upgrades or questions like that. I suggest a thread of your own.

  8. #11828
    @Synthaxx

    Go for a case like the TJ11 especially if you plan to do multi gpu setups. The 900D has just poor airflow as you see in this review where the TJ11 massively outperforms the 900D. You can install a Swiftech H220 or H320 (recently released) in the bottom of that case or a h80i. I'd go with a H320 definitely and the PWM pump is a major reason why.

    With your 620W you can easily quad sli 690's, the board power limit is set to 170W. Nvidia would likely optimize the power consumption again with a 790.

  9. #11829
    That Blue Snowball Mic is $60 shipped @ woot. It was featured a few pages back. LINK

  10. #11830
    Mostly I want to be off mechanical storage because backups take forever. I've already got 1TB of SSD space (4x 840 pro), but I'd like the 'hard to replace' documents (stuff that isn't on netflix/itunes) on fast storage too. 1 disk for storage + 1 for backup seems like a good way to solve that problem.

    Why not enterprise PCIe SSD? The "good ones" aren't cheap: a 2 TB Violin card runs about $10,000. The other option (revo drive) doesn't have a particularly great reputation and it's "long term" use is questionable: you can't stuff it in an enclosure when you upgrade, it's also no quicker than the 4-disk raid set I opted for. When Haswell-E ships and everyone moves to PCI-e SSD drives I can still take the 2.5" disks and stuff them in a drobo or something to have really fast back-ups / network attached storage - I couldn't do that with a PCIe device.

    Finally: I'm out of PCIe slots (and lanes): 2x780 + 650 + xonar: there's just no room and I have little interest in swapping from z87 until Haswell-e. Hell, I don't really have the PCI-e lanes for the physx gpu but it's just a toy so that I can tinker with code and running at 2x doesn't hurt that much.
    Last edited by evn; 2013-08-24 at 04:28 PM.
    A new UI series for 5.2Steal my old UILearn about WeakAuras • Nobody to raid with right now so no PVE videos.

  11. #11831
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    text
    Question tho, why not go with the crucial M500?

    Over here it is about 20 euros cheaper, and from what I have been reading it has power safe capacitors. The chances your PC/SSD will fall out due to a power outage are probably slim. But when talking about a 1TB ssd I would probably go for the crucial.
    Unless the crucial is that much more expensive or not readily available

  12. #11832
    I am currently thinking about getting a new video card. Currently using a 6850, as my sig states. I have a 520w psu. I was just wondering what a decent upgrade would be without having to upgrade the psu.
    CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.5 w/ Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: Asus Z170-A
    RAM: Corsair Lpx 16gb @ 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 ATX
    PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 850W SSD: Samsung 240GB x2, OCZ Agility 60GB HDD: WD Black 1TB
    Monitors: BenQ GW2765HT & AOC i2367Fh Mouse: Steelseries Sensei Raw Keyboard: CM Rapid-I

  13. #11833
    Over here it is about 20 euros cheaper, and from what I have been reading it has power safe capacitors.
    I tried. As soon as I found stores accepting orders I started trying to buy them. After having 4 different stores over 6 weeks placing orders on "back order", "sold out", or "shipping June 15, err 24, er July 3, err…" I just gave up. At stores I normally order from (ncix/newegg/memory express/etc) they were constantly listed as 'sold out', 'back order', or 'avilable soon'. Eventually I just gave up and decided to wait for some alternative. The shitty launch turned me off Crucial as a brand.

    You can easily find smaller capacity drives (250/500gb are common) but the 1 TB disks are apparently very scarce. There's a store near my house that actually has the 750gb 840 but haven't put up the 1TB version. To be honest, I'm not convinced amazon will be better this time around: my expected shipping date is Aug 26 but I'm giving them until Sept 1 to ship before I just give up and wait for them to show up in local shops.
    A new UI series for 5.2Steal my old UILearn about WeakAuras • Nobody to raid with right now so no PVE videos.

  14. #11834
    Dreadlord Ripox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheor View Post
    I am currently thinking about getting a new video card. Currently using a 6850, as my sig states. I have a 520w psu. I was just wondering what a decent upgrade would be without having to upgrade the psu.
    make your own thread with more info, you'll get help there

  15. #11835
    The Insane DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    16,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheor View Post
    I am currently thinking about getting a new video card. Currently using a 6850, as my sig states. I have a 520w psu. I was just wondering what a decent upgrade would be without having to upgrade the psu.
    I too will advise you to make your own thread, as more people will see your question then and reply. However, you could get almost any GPU on the market without having to upgrade the PSU, other than a GTX 690, AMD HD 7990, and probably a GTX Titan, 780 you could probably manage, just don't do any intense overclocking and you'll be good. Other than that, you should be fully capable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Online dating turned into circumcision discussion. Good job MMO-C, it only took 25 pages.
    My Ridiculous Computer Setup

    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Beer, Games, Opinions
    | CPU Overclocking Thread | GPU Overclocking Thread

  16. #11836
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I tried. As soon as I found stores accepting orders I started trying to buy them. After having 4 different stores over 6 weeks placing orders on "back order", "sold out", or "shipping June 15, err 24, er July 3, err…" I just gave up. At stores I normally order from (ncix/newegg/memory express/etc) they were constantly listed as 'sold out', 'back order', or 'avilable soon'. Eventually I just gave up and decided to wait for some alternative. The shitty launch turned me off Crucial as a brand.

    You can easily find smaller capacity drives (250/500gb are common) but the 1 TB disks are apparently very scarce. There's a store near my house that actually has the 750gb 840 but haven't put up the 1TB version. To be honest, I'm not convinced amazon will be better this time around: my expected shipping date is Aug 26 but I'm giving them until Sept 1 to ship before I just give up and wait for them to show up in local shops.
    Yeah, I figured it had to do with that. I just did a quick look around for the 1 TB drives (m500/840 EVO) and both seem to be in stock in just about every store. Either they arent that popular over here, or we just got more of them :P

  17. #11837
    The usual online stores for me are:
    I've had good luck with each of them and tend not to shop elsewhere (aside from apple.com) if I can help it.

    Amazon is listing it as out of stock now too. There are comments/reviews but when you read them, they're people who have the 250gb version. (It's also listed at $720, my order was $670/ea). That sort of thing makes me nervous because the exact same nonsense happened with the Crucial disks. Your ship date comes, they push it back a week…then another…
    A new UI series for 5.2Steal my old UILearn about WeakAuras • Nobody to raid with right now so no PVE videos.

  18. #11838
    I have been following this thread for a wile now, figure its about time to post my set up seeing as i just got me a new monitor stand.

    Case - COOLER MASTER HAF 912
    CPU - i5 3570k [email protected]
    CPU Cooler - Cooler Master hyper 212
    Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V
    GPU - Sapphire 7950 Vapor-x
    RAM - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) @2133
    SSD 1 - OCZ vertex 4 128GB (boot drive)
    SSD 2 - OCZ agility 3 240GB
    HDD - WD red 1TB
    PSU - SeaSonic 750w x-series 80+ gold
    fans - 2x Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition (on CPU cooler)
    2x Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition (back exhaust and side panel intake)
    2x BitFenix Spectre LED Orange 200mm (front intake and top exhaust, originally wanted an orange theme but i scraped that)

    Peripherals
    Monitor 1 - Dell UltraSharp U2312HM IPS 23"
    Monitor 2 - SAMSUNG S24B30BL 23.6"
    Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K60 (I want the K70 black so bad but I cant rationalize paying that much for such a small upgrade)
    Mouse - Logitech G9x Call of Duty: MW3 Edition (so much cheaper than the normal one. I'm about ready to paint over the logo)
    Headset - Logitech G930
    Speakers - Monoprice 6 1/2" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers
    Sub - Monoprice 8" 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer
    Amp - Lepai LP-2020A+

    My future plans for upgrades are a new CPU cooler, most likely an H100i or something around there and a new chair! Other than those two things I'm really happy with this build. It was my first "gaming" computer and self build, built around 7/20/12 with a few upgrades what you now see. Maybe a second 7950 later down the road for Xfire.

    Ok ok, enough with the text. Here is what you really want, PICS!
    (sorry they aren't that great of quality)
    http://imgur.com/a/L34kv#0
    Last edited by Ethan191; 2013-08-25 at 02:06 AM.

  19. #11839
    The Lightbringer Toffie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,768
    Great looking setup Ethan, though the interior of the case makes me puke inside alittle :/
    Skylake & Maxwell gaming build 2015
    6700K 4.7GHz | H100i GTX | Asus Z170 Maximus Viii Gene | Carbide Air 240 | Corsair LPX 16GB | GTX 980 Gaming G1 |
    Samsung 850 EVO | Corsair RM750i | Razer BW Chroma - Razer Deathadder Chroma | AOC 24 G-Sync 144Hz |

  20. #11840
    I am Murloc! Xuvial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    5,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Great looking setup Ethan, though the interior of the case makes me puke inside alittle :/
    What...? He's done a great job of cable management, that's about as good as it can get with a HAF912.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •