Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    That's my plan. And thanks for the youtube link of that 1440p monitor. May just have to get that one.

I still think my system is shitty though, only an i5 in it
    An i7 won't really do anything for you in like 90% of the games you play. It's really only relevant if you stream high end, render videos a lot, 3D modeling etc.
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1080MHz/1700MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2014 || AV-TEST Jan/Feb 2013

Setup that currently exists at home:
    CPU: i5-2320
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master X6
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
    RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1600mhz
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB
    PSU: 600w Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker
    SSD: 120GB Kingston SSD
    HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda
    Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2012 (blue leds)
    Mouse: Razer Naga Epic
    Audio: Razer Tiamat 7.1

But you guys already knew that from seeing my post back in early July (around July 8) in this thread. I'm currently in New York and I picked up some UPGRADES!!111!

No pics until I'm back home and have time to set it together (I'd imagine around mid-september) but here's what I bought so far!

1. Corsair K70 mechanical keyboard, the black one
    2. 250GB Samsung 840 EVO
    3. i7-3770K
    4. Corsair H100i
    5. Corsair TX750M
    6. Corsair white pre-sleeved modular cables
    7. IC Diamond 7 thermal paste

Upgrades I plan to do when I'm back home:
    1. Upgrade motherboard to Z77 MSI MPower
    2. Get second GTX 760 for SLI
    3. Upgrade from Razer Naga Epic to Razer Naga 2014 (mechanical)

Then, I will buy 2x4GB RAM, a 1TB HDD (WD Black or Seagate Barracuda) and a case. With this, I will reuse spare parts for a second build which I will leave around the house or give to my brother (or maybe even sell?)
    The specs of the second system atm seem to be (every single part below with the exception of the RAM, HDD, and case are reused parts):
    CPU: i5-2320
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master X6
    Motherboard: GA-Z77X-D3H
    RAM: 2x4GB
    GPU: NVIDIA 1GB GT545 [OEM]
    PSU: 600w Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular
    Case: Undecided
    Storage: 1TB HDD
    Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2012
    Mouse: Razer Naga Epic + Razer Deathadder + Razer Ouroboros
    Audio: Razer Megalodon

(I have the peripherals sitting around already, unused)

Slight change to plans; CPU, Board, Case will be bought in the first month. I'm looking at the h100i with some SP120's as apparently the noise on such a setup is pretty good (i.e. no pump rattle like the h100, but the stock fans do rattle). That will also be bought in the first month. I'm hoping it's the right decision, because I honestly don't think I'd want to deal with an RMA.

From here, I might also be able to afford 1 of the SSD's without needing to wait, but failing that, short term loan to make up any deficit (should be £50-100 at most so it won't hurt too much) so as to avoid needing to do 2 reactivations and reinstalls of Windows. After that, free reign on either a 780, or a HD8000 card, and either another SSD or the monitors. Third month would be the RAM, and finishing up on any other smaller additions (desk, chair, etc).

I'm also sticking with the Sabertooth Z87 for now - the Thermal armor inside a 900D with the light from the Platinum RAM would be a fairly impressive look, and very much my sort of style. The h100i would probably compliment this as well with the white LEDs and otherwise dark theme. The sabertooth itself is moderate in specs as well but as always, I'm open to suggestions on this. I might end up with something completely ridiculous like a Z87X-OC-Force, especially if I end up seriously considering multi GPU and aftermarket coolers (e.g. Accelero xtreme 3, which takes up 2-and-a-bit PCI bays) and thus warrants me needing a more extensive PCIE layout, or think I might want to move up to quad-SLI on dual GPU cards at some point (unlikely, but again, it's all open to change until I start ordering).

PSU decisions - Having realized that I'm set on a 900D, going dual PSU wouldn't be an issue, so another one identical to my current one along with a dual PSU adapter cable would allow me to dedicate 1 PSU to board, CPU, RAM and drives, and the other to GPU's. I figure that since I know this PSU is extremely quiet, it'd be better than risking buying a new one that turns out to be much louder (as was the case with my AX1200 with a fan that never spun down). Dual PSU will only happen if I decide to go with multiple GPU's though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    How are you planning on running those SSD's? Why is it either 4 drives or 2 drives (why not 3)?
    Single drives/non-RAID. It could turn to be 2, 3, or 4, but I figured that I'd account for the highest potential cost in my plans, and then see where it leads me. I guess I also prefer even numbers when it comes to drives. Not quite sure why, perhaps it's to make the connections on the ports look neat (2x2 block of connections looks better to me than 2+1)

I'm likely to end up sticking to 2 SSD's - 2TB of 'game space' is still 4x more than what I've got now and I've always got the option to add more later on but again, completely open to change. The number of drives I get is one of the few things that can change once I start ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Also, EVGA's ACX cooler isn't that great. ASUS' new design works allot better.
    I've not looked into it too much. The ACX just seems to be advertised as being really quiet, and that's probably the biggest priority for a cooler for me. I suppose I could go for a reference 780 for the awesome looking cooler, and then opt to replace it with an aftermarket one if it's too loud or the heat is an issue. With a new case though, I figure that stock will probably do a decent job. It's completely open to change though.
    Coder, Gamer - IOCube | #Error418MasterRace #ScottBrokeIt
    Knows: Node.js, JS + JQuery, HTML + CSS, Object Pascal, PHP, WQL/SQL

PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX780 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

Synthaxx regarding the GPU's: are you planning to OC? If so, will you be doing it under water?

If noise is so important to you how come you're not going custom loop?
    Also, have you considered Ivy-E?

Also, why limit yourself to H100i in a 900D? H110 should fit, no?

P.S.: Any comments you can make on my post (right above yours) would be appreciated

@Synthaxx

I still maintain that if you want some speed and storage, one is better off with the Seagate Momentus XT drives over standard mechanical drives. I get around 150 MB/s read speeds off that on SATA3 while my 1.5TB does less then half that and it was a higher end drive when I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    @Synthaxx

I still maintain that if you want some speed and storage, one is better off with the Seagate Momentus XT drives over standard mechanical drives. I get around 150 MB/s read speeds off that on SATA3 while my 1.5TB does less then half that and it was a higher end drive when I bought it.
    my WD C-Blacks get about the same speeds without SSD caching, which really makes me wonder if hybrid drives are worth it at all considering how much cheaper SSDs are now

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

I decided Ivy-E wasn't interesting enough to justify upgrading - I blew the cash for that on a pair of 840 evo 1tb disks today (ordered from amazon, haven't shipped). I have a feeling that this will go about as well as the crucial 960gb drive launch (not generally available until several months after a paper launch). There's a store near my home selling the 750gb version but haven't listed the larger one yet, nor have newegg/ncix. 2 SSDs the last upgrades until the 8-core Haswell-E/DDR4 configurations become available.

I may also have my hands on a Tesla k20x. The compute-node at work is getting replaced and I didn't get shut down when I asked if I could buy one of the GPUs for "$1000 or something" to use at home…here's hoping.
    A new UI series for 5.2Steal my old UILearn about WeakAuras • Nobody to raid with right now so no PVE videos.

Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    I decided Ivy-E wasn't interesting enough to justify upgrading - I blew the cash for that on a pair of 840 evo 1tb disks today (ordered from amazon, haven't shipped). I have a feeling that this will go about as well as the crucial 960gb drive launch (not generally available until several months after a paper launch). There's a store near my home selling the 750gb version but haven't listed the larger one yet, nor have newegg/ncix. 2 SSDs the last upgrades until the 8-core Haswell-E/DDR4 configurations become available.

I may also have my hands on a Tesla k20x. The compute-node at work is getting replaced and I didn't get shut down when I asked if I could buy one of the GPUs for "$1000 or something" to use at home…here's hoping.
    How could one possibly make usefull use of such amount of ssd storage in a raid setting? (also why those and not looking into enterprise pci(e) ssd ?)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    How could one possibly make usefull use of such amount of ssd storage in a raid setting? (also why those and not looking into enterprise pci(e) ssd ?)
    If one has the money, getting completely off of mechanical hard drives is starting to become a viable, though expensive, venture.

No HDD spinning noise, less vibration in the case, especially for people with several drives, fast recording of unrendered video, faster possible rendering times then, too.

Just gotta think out of the box, no one is saying it's a cheap thing that everyone should do, though. :P

Even if I had the money, I don't think I'm ready to jump to all SSDs, but SSDs won't fail from power failures like HDDs will. Remember when my computer had power issues back in April and my hard drives died?

All except my SSD... and DVD drive. XD SSDs can gain and lose power in rapid succession with no real damage, mechanical hard drives, obviously, cannot.
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    my games HDD has 787GB in use, and the main games i play are on my SSD, its quite easy to use up lots of space when you install your entire steam library

i7-4790K | Z97 Class. | 8GB DDR3-2133 | GTX-690 Quad SLI | RAIDR | 512GB Samsung 830 | AX1200 | RV05
    Dell U2711 | Ducky Shine3 YoS | Steelseries Sensei | Xonar Essence One | KRK RP8G2s

Ok, so I ran into money issues and had to downgrade the 780 to a 770, I still have a 1440p monitor coming though. I'm wondering if I'm going to have any issues with it since I have a 770 now instead of a 780. The 770 is still a solid card and even more so when I can SLI it correct?

TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    This is not a thread to ask for upgrades or questions like that. I suggest a thread of your own.

@Synthaxx

Go for a case like the TJ11 especially if you plan to do multi gpu setups. The 900D has just poor airflow as you see in this review where the TJ11 massively outperforms the 900D. You can install a Swiftech H220 or H320 (recently released) in the bottom of that case or a h80i. I'd go with a H320 definitely and the PWM pump is a major reason why.

With your 620W you can easily quad sli 690's, the board power limit is set to 170W. Nvidia would likely optimize the power consumption again with a 790.

That Blue Snowball Mic is $60 shipped @ woot. It was featured a few pages back. LINK

Mostly I want to be off mechanical storage because backups take forever. I've already got 1TB of SSD space (4x 840 pro), but I'd like the 'hard to replace' documents (stuff that isn't on netflix/itunes) on fast storage too. 1 disk for storage + 1 for backup seems like a good way to solve that problem.

Why not enterprise PCIe SSD? The "good ones" aren't cheap: a 2 TB Violin card runs about $10,000. The other option (revo drive) doesn't have a particularly great reputation and it's "long term" use is questionable: you can't stuff it in an enclosure when you upgrade, it's also no quicker than the 4-disk raid set I opted for. When Haswell-E ships and everyone moves to PCI-e SSD drives I can still take the 2.5" disks and stuff them in a drobo or something to have really fast back-ups / network attached storage - I couldn't do that with a PCIe device.

Finally: I'm out of PCIe slots (and lanes): 2x780 + 650 + xonar: there's just no room and I have little interest in swapping from z87 until Haswell-e. Hell, I don't really have the PCI-e lanes for the physx gpu but it's just a toy so that I can tinker with code and running at 2x doesn't hurt that much.
    Last edited by evn; 2013-08-24 at 04:28 PM.
    A new UI series for 5.2Steal my old UILearn about WeakAuras • Nobody to raid with right now so no PVE videos.

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    text
    Question tho, why not go with the crucial M500?

Over here it is about 20 euros cheaper, and from what I have been reading it has power safe capacitors. The chances your PC/SSD will fall out due to a power outage are probably slim. But when talking about a 1TB ssd I would probably go for the crucial.
    Unless the crucial is that much more expensive or not readily available

I am currently thinking about getting a new video card. Currently using a 6850, as my sig states. I have a 520w psu. I was just wondering what a decent upgrade would be without having to upgrade the psu.
    CPU i5 2500k MB Asus P8Z68-V PRO Ram Mushkin 8gb
    GPU Asus R9 270x CASE Antec 300 PSU Seasonic 520W
    SSD Kingston 240gb HDD Seagate 500gb OS Windows 7
    KB CM Storm Rapid-I Mouse Steelseries Sensei Raw

Over here it is about 20 euros cheaper, and from what I have been reading it has power safe capacitors.
    I tried. As soon as I found stores accepting orders I started trying to buy them. After having 4 different stores over 6 weeks placing orders on "back order", "sold out", or "shipping June 15, err 24, er July 3, err…" I just gave up. At stores I normally order from (ncix/newegg/memory express/etc) they were constantly listed as 'sold out', 'back order', or 'avilable soon'. Eventually I just gave up and decided to wait for some alternative. The shitty launch turned me off Crucial as a brand.

You can easily find smaller capacity drives (250/500gb are common) but the 1 TB disks are apparently very scarce. There's a store near my house that actually has the 750gb 840 but haven't put up the 1TB version. To be honest, I'm not convinced amazon will be better this time around: my expected shipping date is Aug 26 but I'm giving them until Sept 1 to ship before I just give up and wait for them to show up in local shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheor View Post
    I am currently thinking about getting a new video card. Currently using a 6850, as my sig states. I have a 520w psu. I was just wondering what a decent upgrade would be without having to upgrade the psu.
    make your own thread with more info, you'll get help there

Quote Originally Posted by Sheor View Post
    I too will advise you to make your own thread, as more people will see your question then and reply. However, you could get almost any GPU on the market without having to upgrade the PSU, other than a GTX 690, AMD HD 7990, and probably a GTX Titan, 780 you could probably manage, just don't do any intense overclocking and you'll be good. Other than that, you should be fully capable.
    i7-5820K | ASUS X99- Deluxe | Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2133MHz | eVGA GTX 760 SC | Crucial MX100 512GB | Crucial M500 240GB | Crucial m4 128GB | Western Digital Blue 1TB | Western Digital Black 1TB | SeaSonic X660 Gold
    ASUS MX239H | Schiit Stack Modi + Asgard 2 | Audio Technica ATH-AD700 | Presonus Eris E5 Studio Monitors | Blue Snowball Mic | Razer Death Adder | Corsair K70 | CyberPower 1500PFCLCD UPS