Quote Originally Posted by Gangresnake View Post
    Why did you take a mATX for such a large case ?
    My guess is recycled parts. Also break the img url please.

At least it isn't a giant full tower case...

Much less a super tower.

It's a $300 gaming build. It's tough to be picky.

Thumbs down

Currently playing on my toaster 337X
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....asterjpeg2.jpg
    Looks like this (When its not burning)

User was infracted for spam.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-09-05 at 04:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    This is one small step for raiders, One giant spit in the face of casuals \o/

Getting my new rig on Friday, it's basically tomorrow! Already paid for it so might as well link it.

GPU: GTX 770 Twin Frozr OC
    CPU: I5-4670K
    MoBO: MSI Z87-G45
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance pro 8GB@1600Mhz
    PSU: Fractal Design Integra R2 750W
    Cooler: H80i with Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans for push-pull.
    Case: NZXT Phantom(red)
    SSD: 840 EVO Basic- 120GB
    HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Going for a Ferrari-esque build this time. Case is so smexy, going to post pics when I've put it together
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Cooler: H80i with Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans for push-pull.
    I think H80i's stock fans have a better noise/cfm ratio than Scythe GT's. GT's are very old fans now (still good for big rads / custom loops though) : /

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I think H80i's stock fans have a better noise/cfm ratio than Scythe GT's. GT's are very old fans now (still good for big rads / custom loops though) : /
    The 1850 RPM is quieter, but moves less air and has less static pressure. The 3000 RPM is about the same noise level, but moves more air and has more static pressure.

The 3000 RPM GTs would be an upgrade, but since two would cost $40-$50, I can't say it'd be worth it.

Nicely balanced system, and by the looks of it a very predominant colorscheme. Looking forward to the pictures

- - - Updated - - -

Did some modifications to my own system. Need to get my mate to update my pictures, cause my camera sucks ^^
    http://i.imgur.com/LTimSUz.jpg

The problem with the H80i's stock fans is that they move air weirdly producing whistling turbulence noises, H60 does the exact same thing. I'm not sure what exactly causes the whistle noises but i believe it has something to do with the design of the blades on the stock fans. Me replacing them with GT's is simply a test to see if the noise is remediable. If not, I'll install them on the side plate. It's a win-win investment either way

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    Nicely balanced system, and by the looks of it a very predominant colorscheme. Looking forward to the pictures

- - - Updated - - -

Did some modifications to my own system. Need to get my mate to update my pictures, cause my camera sucks ^^
    [URL]http://i.imgur.com/LTimSUz.jpg[ /URL]
    Indeed, going to be loads of fun to build it. Unfortunately I as well have a shitty camera so the pictures will probably not be of the highest caliber.

I think what you refer to as "whistle noises" is just the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    I think what you refer to as "whistle noises" is just the pump.
    We shall find out tomorrow

Stood in the Fire
    Friend brought his processor over tonight and I delidded it for him! Incoming 15-20C + of temp drops!!

I put it in a vice and whacked it with a hammer. Started to come off in 4 hits then I just popped it off as the black adhesive was loose. Glad he trusted me :P

Last edited by mercs213; 2013-09-06 at 05:34 AM.

...huh. The TIM spread between the lid and the chip seems to be meh at best, no wonder temps suck. Putting aside there shouldn't be any TIM at all, the whole thing is supposed to be welded/soldered shut right?

Stood in the Fire
    ...huh. The TIM spread between the lid and the chip seems to be meh at best, no wonder temps suck. Putting aside there shouldn't be any TIM at all, the whole thing is supposed to be welded/soldered shut right?
    Exactly and the black adhesive when removed brings the IHS closer to the die which is why it improves temps.

We use Coollaboratory Liquid Pro on the die and under side of the IHS (very thin layer) for best possible temp results.

Between the IHS and cooler use can use your fav. TIM. You could use CLP but liquid metal is a pain to clean up.

Also yes, they should be using fluxless solder like with sandy bridge and all the extreme chips. But after sandy, haswell and ivy use TIM. Don't know why they changed but it is why temps are much higher on ivy and haswell than they should be.
    Last edited by mercs213; 2013-09-06 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mercs213 View Post
    Also yes, they should be using fluxless solder like with sandy bridge and all the extreme chips. But after sandy, haswell and ivy use TIM. Don't know why they changed but it is why temps are much higher on ivy and haswell than they should be.
    It's far more cost effective, that's why they changed it.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Herald of the Titans shroudster's Avatar
    it's terrible, some guy even tested the TIM at OC and the results were like +25-30 degrees for a minor overclock.
    aslo can't see from the picture if it is a haswell or ivy chip? (ps warranty tip , use black glue once you replaced the TIM)

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    It's far more cost effective, that's why they changed it.
    Cost effective for the $500+ chips as well?

Stood in the Fire
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    it's terrible, some guy even tested the TIM at OC and the results were like +25-30 degrees for a minor overclock.
    aslo can't see from the picture if it is a haswell or ivy chip? (ps warranty tip , use black glue once you replaced the TIM)
    Ivy, haswell has the on die VRMs which can be seen next to the center die after you delid.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    Sounds like Intel did it on purpose to limit overclocking on air and make their E-series chips seem better in comparison. Pretty pathetic.